Old Aug 21, 2006, 06:44 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
12,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycracker
Kitty,
How do you get the dark background and the lighting effect? Photoshop? Digital camera?
Rich
Good camera with "fill flash" which only highlights the foregrond object?
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2006, 07:01 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
12,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block
My new 900mahr Thunder Power Pro Lite doesn't fit in the battery area - should I cut the foam towards the front of the plane? Behind the battery area is the landing gear, so I think I'll have to cut all the way to the front, which will weaken it.
Boy, am I a post wh*re! I think you should strap it to the bottom of the plane right at the center of gravity using rubber bands. You could use industrial strength velcro also. You can find that at Home Depot.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 07:10 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Quote:
My new 900mahr Thunder Power Pro Lite doesn't fit in the battery area - should I cut the foam towards the front of the plane? Behind the battery area is the landing gear, so I think I'll have to cut all the way to the front, which will weaken it.
As Buzz mentioned first determine where it needs to be to get the CG correct. It'll probably be around the battery compartment area. The easiest way is to cut a bit from each side of the compartment to make it wide enough to fit the battery. Only about 1/4 inch from each side should do the trick, it's not enough to weaken it. Neither of my TM's ever broke there despite having widened battery compartments, and suffering about a million crashes between them.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 21, 2006, 07:28 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
External Battery Pack

Quote:
Here's what I do: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=634

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 21, 2006, 07:30 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
Thanks Wayne - that was my worry (making it too weak). I searched the first 5 or 6 threads and found a few pictures that also helped. I have good velcro. I'll wait to cut the foam until it's assembled, so I can determine the COG. Tonight is my wife's night out, so I won't be building until I get the kids to bed. :-(
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Aug 21, 2006, 07:31 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Finally, the REAL reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
...too much epoxy and adding that plywood piece resulted in my Moth weighing over 11 oz. That's why I can't get higher than 25ft with the stock IPS.
Oh, NOW he tells us, after we used up most of our (well, me and me alone perhaps) brain cells trying to figure out the reason for the 25 ft. limit.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 21, 2006, 09:26 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Wayne - that was my worry (making it too weak). I searched the first 5 or 6 threads and found a few pictures that also helped. I have good velcro. I'll wait to cut the foam until it's assembled, so I can determine the COG. Tonight is my wife's night out, so I won't be building until I get the kids to bed. :-(
Actually it's easier to cut before assembly. Check out post #7 in this old thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=59561
to see how I cut mine. I also recommend cutting out the front part of the battery compartment to help cooling. Without that there a lot more air can get thru to the battery.

Depending on the motor you are using the 930 battery will probably go right in the battery compartment. With a lighter than stock motor or heavier battery you might need to push it back between the landing gear legs a little.

Wayne
Old Aug 21, 2006, 09:53 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
I should have test fitted the battery before gluing the fuselage. Oops!

In this photo, you cut all the way to the front. That would make swapping batteries very easy. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...chmentid=31408

I'm using the stock motor for now. A friend gave me an old 10A blue bird ESC, so the motor and ESC were almost free. If all goes well, I'll eventually switch to a EFlight 300 or similar ~25 gram outrunner. I bought a very light Berg 4L, HS-55 servos, and those 4.3gram servos HL had on sale (Blue Arrow?). If the Blue Arrows are junk, then I'll use the HS-55's.

Thanks!
Last edited by Block; Aug 21, 2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:52 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Ah, it's only a tiny bit more difficult once it's glued together.

Nothing wrong with the stock motor, we all flew with them for years before the brushless became available, and some people still like the stock set up just fine.

My biggest problem with the stock motors was I only got about an average of 15 hours out of each, after replacing a dozen or more it got to be more economical to switch to brushless. To be fair, some folks get way more hours than I was ever able to manage.

The key to making the battery swap easy is cutting out a part of the bottom of the cowl as shown in the pic you posted the link to above. The cowl is sitting on the bench but you can still see the cut out.

I'm also bought some 4.3 servos to use in Moth #3 when I get started on it. And a CDROM motor from M-A-E that weighs 20 grams.

Wayne
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:13 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Oh, NOW he tells us, after we used up most of our (well, me and me alone perhaps) brain cells trying to figure out the reason for the 25 ft. limit.

RD
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:21 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
12,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell

RD
No, I think there must be other gremlins too. Why would it climb so aggressively, I mean....it leaps into the air in less than a foot, climbs like crazy and then....at 25 ft. ...... it just stops. It has plenty of power to do double loops. You'd think with all that it would climb a bit higher. I think I'll take the landing gear rig out to see if that makes any difference. You'll see if I ever get good enough weather to make the video.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:17 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
Acrophobia?

elsyr is offline Find More Posts by elsyr
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:25 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Actually the problem is that he has a small piezo gyro inside the fuse that activates at 25 feet to restrict its possible climb beyond that.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:25 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
The bettery is wide and long, but very thin. Maybe the way to go is to cut two "slots" (one on either side of the fuselage) at a diagonal. The battery would side into the slots. I would use a handsaw (hacksaw blade) to cut the slots (a poor man's router).

Do you guys use the square plastic mounting squares for the cowling even though it seems most people do not use the screws? What's wrong with the screw method? The cowling shoud not have to come off often anyhow, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase

The key to making the battery swap easy is cutting out a part of the bottom of the cowl as shown in the pic you posted the link to above. The cowl is sitting on the bench but you can still see the cut out.

Wayne
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:37 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Block,

Most people don't use the screws because they hate fiddly little bits. I personally have this bizarre obsession with those tiny screws, I don't mind them at all, and I find they add nice little accents to the look of the thing They screw into the little plastic plates, and no, I don't take the cowling off that much.

I don't have it here, but at home I've got a pic of my old black moth with the cowl off so you can see how I cut open the battery compartment to fit my LiPos. They were cut out on both moths after joining of the fuse halves, and I've never had a problem with damage to those areas And yes, a strip of velcro goes a long way!

Rich, the trick to that shot was a dark brown wood table, a dark brown blanket held up behind the plane and a flash on the digital cam. Sometimes I do fiddle with the brightness and contrast a bit in Photoshop afterwards, but just enough to make the pic pop

K.
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty