HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2006, 09:57 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
Thanks guys. I did not come across these issues (lower wing not fitting) when I read the build threads; etc.

Yep, I added too much water (that is why I am "Block"). I feared that a few too many drops fell from the wet paper towel - oops. I ran some errands, and when I came back, it looked like I had used that "Great Stuff" insulating foam! I cut the excess away with my knife. There were BIG holes inside, and it did not stick quite as well as it should to the foam, and it come loose. All of the Gorilla glue pulled up little by little. Good thing I bought some cheap epoxy today...

The upper wing (with epoxy) weighs 22 grams, and the lower weighs 26 grams (Gorilla glue). That's surprising. The 5 minute epoxy is strong as nails after only 1.5 hours.

I don't understand why people say permanent landing gear makes the wing hard to remove - don't the wings slide off the back of the fuselage, not towards the landing gear? I'm tempted to use PU/Gorilla to hold the gear. I will also run a stick (or wire) across the wires so they do not break the outter foam.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:10 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTEOR
Chuck, bring out a temp gun with you as well. In personal experience with the 36L motor after 3.8amps it really started to get HOT and QUICK. A buddy of mine used one of the AON 12mm motors with very little luck (surprised the heck out of me too) the first motor siezed and the second also got hot quick, but he had be overproping a pinch. None the less it was the same wind as the 36L, and at 4.1 amps it didn't take too long till something happened. These motors work great, but are fragile. I hope it all goes well budddy. My TM will be out at the field tomorrow.
Flew it 20 minutes this morning on the 8x6 prop....static current 3.7 amps

I put a GWS heat sink (w/ paste) on it from the git go...temp was ambient when landed...outside and inside loop from level...sustained inverted.

I'm in the butter zone with this set up

36 L 36 turns is higher RPM less torque

i used the 25 turn ...all is well here

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:24 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Whoa! Sustained inverted flight? Heh, when I try that I go crashie crashie. Lets see what happens after I fix the motor stick, I was thinking that with all of the flex that the thrust angle inverted is way out of wack. BTW, I was never able to get those IPS motor heat sinks to fit. They we always a pinch too small.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Aug 21, 2006, 09:45 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
12,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block
Thanks guys. I did not come across these issues (lower wing not fitting) when I read the build threads; etc.

Yep, I added too much water (that is why I am "Block"). I feared that a few too many drops fell from the wet paper towel - oops. I ran some errands, and when I came back, it looked like I had used that "Great Stuff" insulating foam! I cut the excess away with my knife. There were BIG holes inside, and it did not stick quite as well as it should to the foam, and it come loose. All of the Gorilla glue pulled up little by little. Good thing I bought some cheap epoxy today...

The upper wing (with epoxy) weighs 22 grams, and the lower weighs 26 grams (Gorilla glue). That's surprising. The 5 minute epoxy is strong as nails after only 1.5 hours.

I don't understand why people say permanent landing gear makes the wing hard to remove - don't the wings slide off the back of the fuselage, not towards the landing gear? I'm tempted to use PU/Gorilla to hold the gear. I will also run a stick (or wire) across the wires so they do not break the outter foam.
Hey, Block. I did exactly what you are talking about doing with your landing gear. I cut a piece of thin plywood down until it slid into the grooves for the wire landing gear. Then I epoxied the landing gear to that. I made it a tight fit so I wouldn't have to glue it. If I want to take my wings off... I just slide the gear out of the bottom of the plane.

But, here's a warning for you..... too much epoxy and adding that plywood piece resulted in my Moth weighing over 11 oz. That's why I can't get higher than 25ft with the stock IPS.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:22 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Hi Block!

I'll third the recommendation for mylar hinges as opposed to tape. It gets extremely humid here in the summer, and just about every instance of taped control surfaces has started to come undone. This is even worse when it happens in flight

Epoxy is strong as nails, but I really can't say enough about the GWS contact cement for gluing the fuse together. Apply to one side, press parts together, pull apart, wait 8-10 minutes then stick them back together Nice, light, works like a charm. The only place I use epoxy is the attachment points of my struts (I use basswood strips sanded to airfoil profile) and to hold the dihedral of the wings.

I used the split cf tube landing gear mod, but in beefing up the landing gear to make them look more scale, I've sort of made them not so removable My flying wires attach to the bottom wing near the fuselage with hooks, so it's a simple matter to unhook them and carefully pass thw wings over the tail.

AUW for Lil' Fishy (originally! ) was 8.5oz with a 3 cell 800mAH pack.

K
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:50 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
12,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedKitty
Hi Block!

AUW for Lil' Fishy (originally! ) was 8.5oz with a 3 cell 800mAH pack.

K
Go ahead.... rub it in!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:34 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Poor ol Wild-E, when are you going to bite the bullet and get an Acme brushless motor for that TM?
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:50 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
Gorilla glue worked fine on the fuselage (it gave me enough working time to slide the two halves before it dried). Maybe I'll try GWS glue on the plastic piece that the strut screws go into (I planned to use Epoxy).

Ahhh, I see now: It's the flying wires that get in the way - not enough room left to get the wings over the tail, and if the landing gear is fixed, then the wings can't go forward either.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 02:42 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Whoa! Sustained inverted flight? Heh, when I try that I go crashie crashie. Lets see what happens after I fix the motor stick, I was thinking that with all of the flex that the thrust angle inverted is way out of wack. BTW, I was never able to get those IPS motor heat sinks to fit. They we always a pinch too small.
file...file ...file....mine was a perfect fit

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Aug 21, 2006, 03:02 PM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Keith & Kitty--Beautiful airplanes!

Kitty, I noticed the tail skid in your pictures of "fishy". I hope you will put a tail wheel on Fishy II. I finally got around to adding one to my pico TM, and it makes ground handling so much better that it's almost like driving an r/c car.

Doug, I'm like you, getting ready to start from a new white PTM slope glider--I'll post why later, after I compose myself.
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
Old Aug 21, 2006, 03:14 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Thanks!

Actually, I'm of mixed feelings on tailwheels, especially for such small aircraft Most of my flying is done off short grass and I can picture a tailwheel being more help than hinderance :\ I've got a steerable tailwheel on my tiny Citabria Pro, and it is indeed like driving a little RC car... on floor... but even the main wheels on that bird get in the way of ROGing off of anything other than extremely smooth pavement

And I think calling it Fishy II might be a bit much, 1.5 might be more appropriate as I had mentioned, the fuselage is mostly intact!

K
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old Aug 21, 2006, 04:45 PM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
ooo
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Old Aug 21, 2006, 05:06 PM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
fishy

Kitty,
How do you get the dark background and the lighting effect? Photoshop? Digital camera?
Rich
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Old Aug 21, 2006, 05:17 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
12,176 Posts
Quote:
Poor ol Wild-E, when are you going to bite the bullet and get an Acme brushless motor for that TM?
I DO have a brushless lens outrunner. But it's for the white pico moth that is still in the box. Besides, why ruin a legend... right? I'll probably never change the old yellow bird. It's famous! I'm really pushing the limits with it now. I just carved a hole in the front floorboard so my 5 in 1 camera will sit in the front seat, looking out over the cowling. The camera weighs an additional 1.3 ounces... so I might just get video of a really fast taxi. Should be interesting!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 06:40 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
My new 900mahr Thunder Power Pro Lite doesn't fit in the battery area - should I cut the foam towards the front of the plane? Behind the battery area is the landing gear, so I think I'll have to cut all the way to the front, which will weaken it.