HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:55 AM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
I built a plain white moth a while back with intentions of doing something other than the yellow style myself. I had plans and had done considerable research on this site to detail it. But you know what... other than upgrading the motor to a 400xt, I am still flying it as my "Nekked Moth". So thanks to all for sharing your info here.

I might add that I really wish that this was my first R/C plane. It is so surprisingly durable. I recently hit a tree (#2) and it went nose in to the ground. The APC prop broke in two pieces and one of the struts broke. That break was a repair from tree #1 however.
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:36 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Hi guys!

Yup yup! I'll redo the wings in Lil' Fishy trim! Just have to talk my LHS into ordering some replacement wings for me They are coming round from catering only to old gasser heads, but it can be a slow process!

Here's some pics (as requested) of Lil' Fishy in happier times

K.

p.s. It's hard to believe the wings ever looked that pristine!
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:55 AM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Sigh! You two make we mere mortals quiver in shame. What beauties! Thanks for posting. Now I look at my poor naked Tiggy and dream of the way she could appear.
Rich
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:23 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
Those are some mighty purdy moths.

Doug
elsyr is offline Find More Posts by elsyr
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:42 AM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Keith and Kitty. Your Moths are now wallpaper on my pc. Inspiration. Now I have to get me another white slope glider Moth to decorate.
Rich
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:11 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,439 Posts
Kitty, can't help myself asking. How on earth did you do that unbelievable paint scheme? I am partway through a TM400 build and am just amazed at what you have done with your pico. I'd have cried when it crashed.

Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:19 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycracker
Keith and Kitty. Your Moths are now wallpaper on my pc. Inspiration. Now I have to get me another white slope glider Moth to decorate.
Rich
Ya know, Rich... I've got a white Pico moth in the box and after seeing Keith's plane again... and Kitty's..... I'm getting depressed. I certainly have no artistic ability.... I think I'll buy 4 or 5 different colors of paint and mix them. Whaterver color it comes out to be... Naaaaah. With my luck it would come out pink! <sigh>
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:45 AM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
Ya know, Rich... I've got a white Pico moth in the box and after seeing Keith's plane again... and Kitty's..... I'm getting depressed. I certainly have no artistic ability.... I think I'll buy 4 or 5 different colors of paint and mix them. Whaterver color it comes out to be... Naaaaah. With my luck it would come out pink! <sigh>
Know what ya mean Buzz. I usually start out with delusions of grandeur and wind up with a mish-mash of shoulda, coulda, woulda and "oh my gosh, why wasn't I born with some modicum of artistic talent?" Oh well, it is some kind of fun flying them. Perhaps Keith and Kitty should start up a Decorate your Moth business. Lets see, how about $300.00 plus shipping. Customer furnishes the Tiger, Paints etc.
Rich
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:05 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring
Kitty, can't help myself asking. How on earth did you do that unbelievable paint scheme? I am partway through a TM400 build and am just amazed at what you have done with your pico. I'd have cried when it crashed.

Jeff
Thanks for the kudos everyone! I still find Fishy looks like a cartoon compared to Keith's mind you!

Jeff, I love gradients, so that was pretty much a must. I have some pics of it before we started the scales. I'll post them when I get home. Basically, I found a nice orange, then we airbrushed it onto the leading edges of the wings, feathering it out as we moved back, and similar technique on the fuse, but starting from the top so that it gradiates to yellow as you go towards the belly.

Once this was done, the scales were all hand painted using yellow over the darker orange and orange over the yellow so that they would stand out, blending the colour as I moved back. The scales are quite simple, just tedious. You simply do a line of mostly uniform crescent shapes at the LE, and the repeat, staggering it by half a scale for the next line. I also picked out random scales with irridescent paint. It's almost invisible in the shots here, but looks neat when the light catches it right. The black bands and deck were just brush painted by John who's got far steadier hands than I. Had I done them, I would have used some very low tack masking tape or similar to keep everything straight.

Once that was done, Jess painted the tail like a goldfish tail. Reference pics are crucial, and if you just study them, observe how the light falls on them, the highlights, shading and what not, you can usually reproduce the effect.

The "decals" were just printed on white mailing labels which I then cover with either MacTack (that transparent sticky stuff they used to cover schoolbooks with) or packing tape depending on the desired glossiness of the finish. I then cut them out and apply them. Given that I tend to do a lot of float ops, I then tend to seal the edges with an acrylic sealer like the kind found in art stores. For the same reason, I also laminated my profile pilot and dashboards using my laminator. There's nothing like markings, pilots and such all messed up because the ink ran :P

Anyhoo, that's the long and short of it! More pics when I get home! ^_^

K.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:57 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,439 Posts
Thanks, and Wow. All those scales hand-painted. Talk about patience (something I am sadly in short supply of). My hat's off to you. Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Aug 18, 2006, 04:06 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,797 Posts
Kitty.... I tried your idea for making decals and I can't figure out how you are getting the clear tape or packing tape off of the envelope without ripping the paper off with the printing. How are you doing that?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 04:39 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Where does the envelope come in? @_@ The labels I use are the Avery half-sheet mailing labels. Once I've printed the images on them, I apply the tape, cut them out, and it's usually much easier to seperate the label from the waxed backing sheet then it is to rip the tape off the front of the label, so... Bob's your Uncle? Fanny's your aunt...? etc? It can be tricky to seperate the cut out label from its backing, but not too tricky...

K.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 05:08 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedKitty
Where does the envelope come in? @_@ The labels I use are the Avery half-sheet mailing labels. Once I've printed the images on them, I apply the tape, cut them out, and it's usually much easier to seperate the label from the waxed backing sheet then it is to rip the tape off the front of the label, so... Bob's your Uncle? Fanny's your aunt...? etc? It can be tricky to seperate the cut out label from its backing, but not too tricky...

K.
Hahahahaha! I thought your prior message said they were printed on envelopes.... not address labels.

I gotcha now.... I just could NOT figure out how to peel tape off of an envelope and lift only the ink off! Duh! I've printed decals like the one on the World Tour Tiger Moth, but mine seem to wear off. The WTTM has been handled a lot more... and it still looks good! I decided to make a decal on clear sticky plastic sheets and after I put it on I sprayed clear over it. Now, that was a cool reaction. It crinkled and then the edges lifted up.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 06:26 PM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
Apart from using the expensive water trenfer printable stuff I've used similar to Kitty i suppose of sticky backed a4 sheet and then brushed over with minowax to seal from the elements.

Be nice to see you fishy moth back to her former glory Kitty, a nice original fantesy paint job I'vv seen on a moth, be a right bugger to to do on a full size.
althulas is offline Find More Posts by althulas
Old Aug 19, 2006, 08:22 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Tuesday morning I had a Fatal flight with the Blue Max

but as always....it was fixed and reflown at the field

the worst part was i had just upgrtaded to a fiego 12mm (finally broke down)

the crash reulted in a broken 7x6 prop, i had one more with me...next flight after the repair...Had no rudder....at all, it seems that the servo came loose from the fuse from the initial auger and i hadn't noticed it.

second crash although minor left me with only an 8x4 HD prop to fly with...it flew but no better than the original IPS.

so heres some carnage and repair pics from the day all wing repairs took less than 20 minutes total (note the times in the pics)

as Captain Carnage always says.............................................. ..........
"If ya boink her in the field...a little foam safe CA and Packing tape (blend derm in this case) can go along way"

although I am not required to share these carnage shots due to the fact the bird did fly after field rendered repairs, I felt it adds to the thread in showing how much abuse and quick repair can add to the flying field experience

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy