Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:23 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,290 Posts
Kitty.... sorry to hear about your "rough landing". It will fly again, although I'm sure you are upset looking at it in the condition you described. I know you are a perfectionist, and well so.... but I had a plane that did the same thing. It didn't have enough dihedral in the wings....so it did the "flat wing syndrome" and rolled back and forth. Just a thought.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:06 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Yup, redo Lil Fishie
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:14 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca
My vote is to, get yellow and redo your Lil' Fishy scheme on them. No one can duplicate your beautiful work.

Aeronca
Hehe well actually I know of at least two people who can! My friend John airbrushed the gradient and Jess and I painted all the scales!

So I guess yellow it is!

Buzz, re: the dihedral, there did seem to be enough, and it wasn't rocking so much as just rolling slowly (and quicker in lefthand turns) to port. Must have had a lot of twist on the starboard wing. Oddly however, my black moth had a savage twist to at least one of its wings and yet flew straight as an arrow The wind had been so bad here of late and the TM was my only airworthy bird, so I was doing repairs practically every third outing.

This usually just involved gluing the interwing struts back into place as they tend to pop free in light to mid prangs.

I was amazed to see that my homemade BL is still going strong as smooth, the prop shaft is still sraight, I just had to replace the back half of my IPS-gearbox mount!

So yellow wings.. right.

K.
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:26 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Cooools Kitty!
Old Aug 17, 2006, 05:57 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Kitty:

Please, by all means, redo Little Fishy. That was and should remain one very special Moth. If I recall, Keith did one fine job on decorating his Moth, but Little Fishy was really unique in the art department. So, keep the "spirit" going.

Concerning wing warp, I have a Pique 3 that used to do the same thing, very one sided in turning and you almost lost control when turing one direction versus the other. Non-aileron wing, standard 3 channel stuff. The wing halves could be easily removed from the fuselage. I would store the wing halves in the map pocket behind the drivers seat in the car. Never considered what the heat would do to the wings under the high heat conditions of a summer day, and the wings being held tight in the pocket. This resulted in a warpage of one wing only. Once I really eyeballed the wings, I applied "reverse torque" adjustment (heat gun, some grunting and groaning), and most of the problem was solved. Sounds like Little Fishy may well have had some wing warpage, and the wind pushed the AOA to the limit of flyability. Just my thoughts. Definitely, we need Little Fishy back in action...with new wings, same livery.

Good luck, and condolences for the crunch!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:27 PM
AMA 6418
New Stanton, Pa.
Joined Jan 2004
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Kitty:

Please, by all means, redo Little Fishy. That was and should remain one very special Moth. If I recall, Keith did one fine job on decorating his Moth, but Little Fishy was really unique in the art department. So, keep the "spirit" going.

Concerning wing warp, I have a Pique 3 that used to do the same thing, very one sided in turning and you almost lost control when turing one direction versus the other. Non-aileron wing, standard 3 channel stuff. The wing halves could be easily removed from the fuselage. I would store the wing halves in the map pocket behind the drivers seat in the car. Never considered what the heat would do to the wings under the high heat conditions of a summer day, and the wings being held tight in the pocket. This resulted in a warpage of one wing only. Once I really eyeballed the wings, I applied "reverse torque" adjustment (heat gun, some grunting and groaning), and most of the problem was solved. Sounds like Little Fishy may well have had some wing warpage, and the wind pushed the AOA to the limit of flyability. Just my thoughts. Definitely, we need Little Fishy back in action...with new wings, same livery.

Good luck, and condolences for the crunch!

RD
Anybody want to see my Moth again I have pics right here.

Keith...
Keith Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Wilson
Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:42 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Sure Keith, post away, you know how much we all love pictures.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:07 PM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Sure, wanta see pics and Kitty's fishy too.
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:13 PM
AMA 6418
New Stanton, Pa.
Joined Jan 2004
2,335 Posts
[QUOTE=Basketcase]Sure Keith, post away, you know how much we all love pictures.

Wayne[/QUOTE

Ok here You go!
Old Aug 17, 2006, 09:53 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Yeah, that's the one, haven't seen her in a loong time. A real beauty, truly one of the best looking Pico Moths out there.

I especially like the petrol tank, landing gear and engine detail inside the cowl. Hard to see but it looks like the control surfaces are pull-pull too.

Trust she still flies as good as she looks.

Thanks for posting Keith, inspiration to us all.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:28 PM
rab
----***----
Arlington, Virginia
Joined Aug 2004
698 Posts
Keith, Wow!

Kitty, two things I have had that produce symptoms like yours. First was a crack in the lower wing right out at the corner, something I did not see on the ground but caused the wing tip to deform in flight. The second was a loose servo, the rudder servo was able to wiggle maybe a millimeter or two, but that was enough, to make moose and squirel favor left turns over right and tend to wander off the the left.

Allen
rab is offline Find More Posts by rab
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:57 PM
AMA 6418
New Stanton, Pa.
Joined Jan 2004
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase
Yeah, that's the one, haven't seen her in a loong time. A real beauty, truly one of the best looking Pico Moths out there.

I especially like the petrol tank, landing gear and engine detail inside the cowl. Hard to see but it looks like the control surfaces are pull-pull too.

Trust she still flies as good as she looks.

Thanks for posting Keith, inspiration to us all.

Wayne
Wayne:

No the pull pull are fake they are just elastic thread. She flys great! As you can see the lower wing is bolted on, it has no rubber bands holding it. also has a charging jack in the bottom and an off and on switch. If I can find the disk ill give you some pics of the bottom. I just found them!!!

...Keith...
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:02 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Keith, you are killing me man. I am almost going to buy a Pico Sloper to TRY to even come close to all of that! Want a job? LOL
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:14 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Wow!

Keith:

Between you and Kitty, and a handful of others, we lowly ones are indeed amongst greatness. Really a great looking plane. Thanks for the additional photos. I remembered the first set, from some time back, but had not seen the others.

My future plans call for building a white Moth and then painting it to some color combination other than the traditional yellow. I will be in touch to inquire about surface prep, etc. I'm sure there has been a description or two on this in the TM thread. If you stumble across a link, feel free to post it. I save most of info that relates to a specific interest item. Lot's of BC's contributions in my "Tiger Moth Related" file.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:11 AM
AMA 6418
New Stanton, Pa.
Joined Jan 2004
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Keith:

Between you and Kitty, and a handful of others, we lowly ones are indeed amongst greatness. Really a great looking plane. Thanks for the additional photos. I remembered the first set, from some time back, but had not seen the others.

My future plans call for building a white Moth and then painting it to some color combination other than the traditional yellow. I will be in touch to inquire about surface prep, etc. I'm sure there has been a description or two on this in the TM thread. If you stumble across a link, feel free to post it. I save most of info that relates to a specific interest item. Lot's of BC's contributions in my "Tiger Moth Related" file.

RD
Doug:

Any help I can give you I will do, just let me know what?

...Keith...