HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2006, 01:17 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
It is a dual purpose park. The way it was designed is that it is sunk down about 30 feet below street level so that when we get rain, the water has someplace to go. Yes, the guys were out with boats, and float planes.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2006, 05:01 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTEOR
It is a dual purpose park. The way it was designed is that it is sunk down about 30 feet below street level so that when we get rain, the water has someplace to go. Yes, the guys were out with boats, and float planes.
I wonder how much it would change the drainage capacity for the city to let you raise your runway by one foot. Then you wouldn't be as subject to the flooding in most storms. I bet you could get another scout to have at it.

I got to fly the blue & yellow PicoMoth yesterday for the first time in a few months (it's been windy whenever I have time to fly - that, and it's hanging in my son's room and he's often asleep when I want to fly and I don't want to wake him).
There's something special about these planes! I just felt so at-ease flying in the 4-5 mph smooth afternoon air. A few touch and goes, some easy loops, and a few wing-overs.... All very pretty, and quite scale if I take my time. Love my moth.

Total flight time: 26 minutes. Use of throttle above 51%: 1:02.

I love that I can fly this plane for nearly 30 minutes without any drop in power. As you can see, there's no need for more than half throttle much of the time. I can get very scale climb angles with just under 50%.

The 1300mah 2s1p lipoly is a bit too heavy (I think 900-1100 is perfect), but that just makes her fly a touch better in the breezes we have here in SD.

Hope you are having a great summer.

Tony

Ahhhhh......
EcoTony is offline Find More Posts by EcoTony
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:07 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoTony

I wonder how much it would change the drainage capacity for the city to let you raise your runway by one foot. Then you wouldn't be as subject to the flooding in most storms. I bet you could get another scout to have at it.

Thats a nice thought, but I doubt that they would do that for us. Besides it is hard to get into the area without slipping when it is really wet out there. Also when it is like that the humidity factor at the flightline is quite high, so you tend to not want to even stay down there (or atleast for very long). I hear Mr. Lin was in town btw, I am not sure if he left yet tho. You should head out to GWS USA for a tour.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:45 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoTony
The 1300mah 2s1p lipoly is a bit too heavy (I think 900-1100 is perfect), but that just makes her fly a touch better in the breezes we have here in SD.
Tony:

I use a TP 1320 2S1P LiPo pack with my Moth, and have no problem reaching some impressive altitudes (26 Ft. and climbing!! )
Seriously, I find the 1320 pack to work just fine with my stock IPS "A" gearing and a 9x7 prop (one of the orange ones). Longest flight time to date was almost 40 minutes, and I pulled her back in due to pilot fatique!
Max recorded altitude was 900+ feet.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 14, 2006, 07:20 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Tony:

I use a TP 1320 2S1P LiPo pack with my Moth, and have no problem reaching some impressive altitudes (26 Ft. and climbing!! )

RD[/QUOTE]

I saw that! You are not going to believe the video I start capturing (hopefully tomorrow) from inside the 25ft. TM. I'm gonna rock your world!

I'm waiting for my son to rip a cd into .mp3 format.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Aug 14, 2006, 08:09 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
RD I saw that! You are not going to believe the video I start capturing (hopefully tomorrow) from inside the 25ft. TM. I'm gonna rock your world! I'm waiting for my son to rip a cd into .mp3 format.
Please note the .wmv format is the most popular and easiest to pull up. The only CD player I have is in the car (for music only) and on the computer. Not sure if I can pull up an .mp3 format with it. I am not CD/DVD literate at this point.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Aug 14, 2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:19 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
FWIW I'm sorta with Tony on the batteries. But my preference is for 800 to 900 mah.

I know very well the Pico Moth can haul more weight, I guess keeping it light has become so ingrained that I can't bring myself to add any more grams than necessary. A carry over from those years of stock IPS motors?

Also agree with Doug about the .wmv files being the easiest to upload and view, though the quality does suffer a bit.

Buzz, looking forward to your video!

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:37 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase

Also agree with Doug about the .wmv files being the easiest to upload and view, though the quality does suffer a bit.

Wayne
I have started using 640 X 480 30fps wmv which produces a bigger file but still small enough to post for the broadband users! I see no difference between my Hi-Res original movie in MPEG which is 193,333kb and my wmv file which is 23,221kb. They play with the same apparent quality.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:09 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,993 Posts
Quote:
Please note the .wmv format is the most popular and easiest to pull up. The only CD player I have is in the car (for music only) and on the computer. Not sure if I can pull up an .mp3 format with it. I am not CD/DVD literate at this point.

RD
MP3 files work great! When you finish the movie...it is compressed and comes out as a WMV file. You can use .WAV files, but MP3's are much easier to find.
I have a single DVD disk which contains every song and album Pink Floyd ever made.... It's all .mp3 files. My son is a true hacker!
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:21 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
MP3 files work great! When you finish the movie...it is compressed and comes out as a WMV file. You can use .WAV files, but MP3's are much easier to find.
Thanks for the info, looking forward to seeing your production.

Quote:
I have a single DVD disk which contains every song and album Pink Floyd ever made.... It's all .mp3 files.
So whatever happened to Chartreuse Harry?

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:35 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,993 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info, looking forward to seeing your production.

So whatever happened to Chartreuse Harry?

RD
Pink Floyd ran him off! When I mention .MP3 files I'm talking strictly about using them for audio. It would be kinda hard to get video out of an MP3.
You don't know who Pink Floyd is? I guess your more into the Glenn Miller band....or maybe Frank Sinatra? Hahahahaha!
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:59 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Pink Floyd ran him off! When I mention .MP3 files I'm talking strictly about using them for audio. It would be kinda hard to get video out of an MP3.
You don't know who Pink Floyd is? I guess your more into the Glenn Miller band....or maybe Frank Sinatra? Hahahahaha!
Only you young kids dig Pink Floyd like my 55 year old daughter!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Aug 15, 2006, 01:26 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Man, then I must truly be "wet behind ear" at 32! HAHAHAHAAHA

Seems that my carbon fiber motor mount is giving way after a slightly hard landing due to a gust of wind the other day. I better pull it out and insert a new one. When I throttle up the motor torque can twist the cracked shaft. I don't want it to break off in flight, those 12mm motors have some pretty delicate wires coming out of them.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 03:06 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Off Topic Blather

Quote:
You don't know who Pink Floyd is?
Is that the dude in the big Cadillac, with the gold chain licence plate motif??

Quote:
I guess your more into the Glenn Miller band....or maybe Frank Sinatra?
Hey!! Kate Smith could belt one out as good as anyone!! She could move mountains.............including two of her own!

Actually, my musical tastes were more in line with CCR, Jefferson Airplane, CSN&Y, and Joan Baez. And that was considered unusal for an old geezer such as I.

Now it's Moths and Elfi's. I guess the sillybellum is on a steady, slow atrophy!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2006, 08:58 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
Glad to hear that. I wanted a 700mahr pack, but HobbyLobby was out of stock, so I got a 900 instead (ThunderPower - very light).

Quote:
Tony:

RD
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block