KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk57
Hi all,

Has anyone already tried this motor for the Pico Moth?

http://epyaya.com/product_info.php?c...5996638bf893fa

Would it be comparable to the popular, but no longer available LENSRC motor?

Thanks, Dirk
I used that motor with a 8X4 prop and a 2s pack on a Pico TM I built for a friend and it performs very well. AT $15 it's pretty hard to beat.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2006, 09:00 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi everyone, I just posted a new Tigermoth video in my Blog, it's not a Pico Moth, it's not even a GWS Moth, but... it is a Tigermoth.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=5221

Hey Buzz, recognize the sound?

There's a couple more new videos there too.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 08, 2006, 09:20 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,248 Posts
Lighter Moth..

....means better flying Moth,I guess alot of flyers are using that GWS 2205 motor but it is 12 grams heavier and a hotter wind,which will lead to shorter flight times and less floaty flyin'.I'd try one of the others..something around 25 grams.I had my out tonight and got in four flights,had a blast with the LensRc Moth,used 1200 E-tecs and had flights from 25 to 40 minutes depending on how hard I flew it.

Everyone at the field seemed to enjoy watching the little Moth fly around,and I had fun buzzin' by the flight line.I have over 30 flights on the plane now,many more to come.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Last edited by dulcet; Aug 08, 2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2006, 09:22 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase
Hi everyone, I just posted a new Tigermoth video in my Blog, it's not a Pico Moth, it's not even a GWS Moth, but... it is a Tigermoth.

Wayne
Nice flight Wayne! Its this after repairs or before?
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Aug 08, 2006, 09:43 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Thanks Boomer, that's post crash and repair. The whole nose was a jigsaw puzzle, got it pieced back together and then attached it to the rest of the fuse with four popsicle sticks as doublers for the stringers.

The remaiden was about a month ago, it's been flying well, but this was the first video of it ever taken.

Also modified the landing gear by shortening the front struts, it now looks a little funny but has no tendency at all to nose over on either takeoffs or landings. Works better than it looks.

Wayne
Old Aug 09, 2006, 02:50 AM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
876 Posts
Hello lads, wheres the GWSTM400 super thread? Is the Pico that good? I'm thouroughly enjoying my big moth. Thanks to those that posted thier Pico mods. I've used a few on this gal and were getting along quite well.
Drusky is offline Find More Posts by Drusky
Old Aug 09, 2006, 07:48 AM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Great vid Wayne. Now if that sound doesn't make you want to jump in the cockpit and FLY, you are in some morbid state. I'll save that one and play it when I get to feeling empty.
Rich
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Old Aug 09, 2006, 10:26 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
10,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase

Wayne
WOW! You've got the sounds matched almost perfectly! Now THAT is one worth keeping! I have the lead in for my movie made.... with musical score.
I got carried away and the first couple of minutes of mine ended up being a video of the song I'm using! I started off with still shots, and now I'm at the point of actually putting the 5 in 1 in the front seat looking through the struts and over the cowling. It's going to be hard to see anything but the prop and the sky until I make my takeoff run and get the tail wheel up. I wish I had more time to spend on it. I'm rebuilding two websites and running the online businesses at the same time. DAMMIT MAN! I never worked this hard until after I retired! It will be an epic when it's finished. Next step will be to drill a hole in the bottom of the plane to stick the 5 in 1 camera in the cockpit. I'm now a total addict working with movie maker.

That's the BIG tigermoth isn't it? Has to be.... beautiful roll.

Buzz
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Aug 09, 2006, 02:52 PM
Netherlands
Joined Mar 2004
65 Posts
Thanks everybody for replying my question on the GWS outrunner. I ordered two of them, couldn't resist it at that price

Great video Wayne, big sound for an AXI 2820/10

Dirk
Dirk57 is offline Find More Posts by Dirk57
Old Aug 09, 2006, 03:23 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,674 Posts
That's absolutely beautiful Wayne ^_^ Wow.. I wanna get a big one too now... after the Vimy, Rufe and Hurricane are done mind you!

I take it those engine sounds were added post production and not played out through a loudspeaker on the aircraft? hehehe

Kitty
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old Aug 09, 2006, 04:10 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
You know, it may sound silly, but I've been thinking about how onboard sound could be done. They now make sound systems for model trains that are small enough to travel in an n-scale engine and that hook into the digital command control system to provide engine sounds proportional to the throttle setting. Why couldn't somebody do the same for RC planes with a system that connects to the throttle servo channel like an ESC? Would be very cool.

Doug
elsyr is offline Find More Posts by elsyr
Old Aug 09, 2006, 06:40 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Wow, thanks everyone, glad y'all liked it.

It was a new experience editing the sound like that. Hope to do better next time.

Buzz, yep, that's the big, er... actually medium sized Moth, they do make bigger ones too.

Kitty, yep again, onboard sound would be cool but I don't know if it would give the same effect as the edited in sounds.

Doug, there is a thread in Electric Plane Talk by Wes (1987tc) about the Ram onboard modules. They have a radial, Merlin and light plane sound system, the light plane sounds more like a Cessna or something than a TM. But it's getting closer...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550151

Wayne
Old Aug 09, 2006, 08:05 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
I seem to recall Ram making machine gun noise modules way back when ... saw them advertised in RCM many moons ago ... didn't know they made engine ones too. We'd need something smaller for our planes, of course, with a really high efficiency speaker set up. Hmmmmm.

In the meantime, I'm thinking of a GWS C130 for use as an aileron trainer after TM#2 gets finished ... partly because it's just a cool plane to look at, but also partly because of the awesome sound it makes when multiple motors resonate - even itty-bitty electric ones. :-)

Doug
elsyr is offline Find More Posts by elsyr
Old Aug 10, 2006, 09:47 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
10,956 Posts
If I add any MORE weight to mine with that little noise maker... I would only be able to taxi around! To be honest, it's hard to beat the sound of the DD pusher prop on my Wingo. I really don't like the sound of gears whining. Yet, I watched Wayne's 3D video and he's just hanging there vertical and the prop is silent. I assume his motor is DD. So, why is it that some DD electrics make a lot of noise.. like the Zagi or Wingo... and others don't make a sound? Is it because they are "pushers" ? Prop pitch?
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:22 AM
AMA 6418
New Stanton, Pa.
Joined Jan 2004
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
If I add any MORE weight to mine with that little noise maker... I would only be able to taxi around! To be honest, it's hard to beat the sound of the DD pusher prop on my Wingo. I really don't like the sound of gears whining. Yet, I watched Wayne's 3D video and he's just hanging there vertical and the prop is silent. I assume his motor is DD. So, why is it that some DD electrics make a lot of noise.. like the Zagi or Wingo... and others don't make a sound? Is it because they are "pushers" ? Prop pitch?
Buzz:

All pushers make that noise as the prop is so close to the trailing edge of the wing. If you was to move the motor farther away from the wing the noise would decrease.

...Keith...
Keith Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Wilson