HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2006, 02:09 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined May 2006
19 Posts
I FINALLY got a Tiger Moth!

I finally succumbed to the enivitable and got the Tiger Moth I have been wanting for about 4 years, I got out of RC for a while so that explains the most of this delay. I just wanted to say thanks for all of the great Ideas I got from the TM threads and the many people who listed all of the great improvements. I hope to Take my TM out for it's Maiden tomorrow morning, so FOr now I'll leave you with a few pics of my new moth. (Color Scheme is from the FMS Litemothred file)

Mike
K6zwc is offline Find More Posts by K6zwc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2006, 02:46 AM
Taiwan, Chiayi County
Joined Aug 2003
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K6zwc
I finally succumbed to the enivitable and got the Tiger Moth I have been wanting for about 4 years, I got out of RC for a while so that explains the most of this delay. I just wanted to say thanks for all of the great Ideas I got from the TM threads and the many people who listed all of the great improvements. I hope to Take my TM out for it's Maiden tomorrow morning, so FOr now I'll leave you with a few pics of my new moth. (Color Scheme is from the FMS Litemothred file)

Mike
Nice Job, Mike. get some shots from the maiden, too. Good luck.

Barry
blowentw is offline Find More Posts by blowentw
Old Jul 31, 2006, 03:22 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Nice Mike, are you sure you want to maiden tomorrow? I think you are missing FLOATS! LOL, got to love Monsoon Season!

Here is a picture of my field, the water was above the picnic tables the other day! Who knows what is still in store for us when it comes to water. BTW that is not me, but a pic of one of our regular guys.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jul 31, 2006, 03:48 AM
Joined Jul 2006
7 Posts
I am just getting a tiger moth in tuesday. I want to use li-po batteries and was wondering what kind i needed. Also, i'd like to know about any way of making it cheaper since my LHS estimated $100 for charger and battery. I heard about cell phone chargers working. Anyone try it for their tiger moths?
mrmiggidude is offline Find More Posts by mrmiggidude
Old Jul 31, 2006, 03:49 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined May 2006
19 Posts
Nice looking field, I need to get some weekends off! Oh yeah the new TM tips the scale at 6.4 oz all up minus battery! so it should fly sweet with the IPS System and my 910 Lipo pack. the STC has enough power for floats, but my flights are wayyyy tooo sketchy for me to involve water at this point!
Old Jul 31, 2006, 03:54 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined May 2006
19 Posts
I have a 910 mAh 7.4V Lipo pack in mine with a Castle Creations Pixie 7P ESC. seems to fit the bill nicely, as for charging I went the high route and Got a Great Planes Triton, But there are several lower cost Lipo Chargers on the market. Given all of the horror stories regarding abused LiPo's I'd stick to a charger that specifically mentions RC packs just to be on the safe side, 1000 degree flash fires can be a real bummer!
Old Jul 31, 2006, 03:58 AM
Joined Jul 2006
7 Posts
Quote:
I have a 910 mAh 7.4V Lipo pack in mine with a Castle Creations Pixie 7P ESC. seems to fit the bill nicely, as for charging I went the high route and Got a Great Planes Triton, But there are several lower cost Lipo Chargers on the market. Given all of the horror stories regarding abused LiPo's I'd stick to a charger that specifically mentions RC packs just to be on the safe side, 1000 degree flash fires can be a real bummer!

Okay umm. How much do you think i can get a good one online? What about a cheaper one?

Anyone try a cell phone charger?
Old Jul 31, 2006, 04:30 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined May 2006
19 Posts
TOwer has the Great planes Poly charge for like $25.00 and a few for about 10-20 more at all E RC. Most cell phones are 3.7V so the charger is for one cell only, you could concieveable seperate the cells and charge them individually, but they could be at different charge levels and then the stronger batteries are going to discharge into the weaker batteries, this could be a real bad thing if the 1C limit is exceeded when this happens. I am all about doing things at the lower cost, but some corners cost more to cut in the long run.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 05:04 AM
Joined Jul 2006
7 Posts
Quote:
TOwer has the Great planes Poly charge for like $25.00 and a few for about 10-20 more at all E RC. Most cell phones are 3.7V so the charger is for one cell only, you could concieveable seperate the cells and charge them individually, but they could be at different charge levels and then the stronger batteries are going to discharge into the weaker batteries, this could be a real bad thing if the 1C limit is exceeded when this happens. I am all about doing things at the lower cost, but some corners cost more to cut in the long run.
Oh okay. I can't seem to find the poly chargers on the tower site. Can you please provide me a link, if possible.

Also, can i get a link the the mods for this plane. The only one i found, was dead.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 07:39 AM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHNW5&P=0
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:45 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiggidude
I am just getting a tiger moth in tuesday. I want to use li-po batteries and was wondering what kind i needed. Also, i'd like to know about any way of making it cheaper since my LHS estimated $100 for charger and battery. I heard about cell phone chargers working. Anyone try it for their tiger moths?
Hey buddy, get this charger, you will be quite very happy with it!
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=185
It will allow you to safely charge any brand of lipo and balance charge them.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:00 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiggidude
Also, can i get a link the the mods for this plane. The only one i found, was dead.
Here's a thread with the mods I used on my Tigermoth,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=59561

These are only one option, there are other mods out there, but unfortunately not all in one place. Lots are scattered all through the 29 parts of the GWS TM mega thread.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:52 AM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Sorry 'bout the delay...

Had to laugh at the proposal of my Spitfire engine sound being WW2 'esque'. Unfortunately, this year (20 years after it's first engine rebuild) the rod end bearings let go on cyl #2. So it's a full engine rebuild again before I can hear that sweet melody.

Wes,
TM #8, you crack me up man. That's awesome! And what a LOOKER!!!

Lancer,
Sorry to hear about the Moth mishaps. I'm glad both Judy and you are doing well enough to trek through the brush. LOL Nice to know you got at least one of the AWOLs back.

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:11 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Ominious Things About to Happen!

July has been an active travel month for me, this last sojourn taking up a full two weeks. Managed to get in a flight with my trusty Tiger Moth #1 (#2 is still on the drawing boards). Yes, I have been flying it sans cowl, and yes the rudder has a piece missing, and yes there are signs of wear and tear. However, my Moth is a very special member of the fleet, so a leasurely flight last night (23 minutes worth), to an altitude of 922 feet, was a nice return to R/C activities here at WWAerodrome. My Moth is flown here almost exclusively, rarely at other sites. The photo was taken following the flight. What was lurking in the background went unnoticed, a harbinger of things to come.

The normal early morning calm beckoned another Moth flight this AM, and that is when it happened. I'll have to compose myself, for another post, to reveal the event. I am still shaken from the attack!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:42 PM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
The suspense is unbearable.
Rich

The normal early morning calm beckoned another Moth flight this AM, and that is when it happened. I'll have to compose myself, for another post, to reveal the event. I am still shaken from the attack!
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker