HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2006, 06:20 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
Wait a minute, there Chuck. You are flying a 10 oz moth on "A" ratio with a stock motor?

Now I really feel bad because my moth weighs the same and, well.......

Does yours fly higher than 25ft?
It wouldn't. ...thats why the green and yeller was retired , and Blue boy was built

as for the "F" gearing nah you won't fry the motor, thats what the larger ratio is for...but i wouldn't run it on 8 cells either...not even nimhs

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2006, 10:22 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,700 Posts
Hi guys,

My name is Kitty, and I'm an addict.

I picked up an Air Hogs Aero Ace over the weekend to fly around the large area for "future development" in our new office.. and I'M HOOKED!!! Best $39.99 CAD I've EVER SPENT!

I can fly this thing anywhere! It at 8.5" wingspan and the little tranny fit easily in a bag, and I can fly it around me as I walk down the street! I can charge the tiny LiPo in it in about 6 minutes right off the TX, which gives me about 10 minutes flight time!

Eeeeeee!

My poor moth is gonna start getting real jealous!

Now that we've finished our office move from hell (I haven't had a day off in 2 and a half weeks :P) I should hopefully have some time to make it up to the old gal! Hmm..

I know... when I get up to the lake this summer it'll be moth time all the way I can't imagine the Aero Ace ROWing with floats on, a lot of its weight goes into making it safe to bounce off walls, things, people (although the instructions are rather stern about NOT doing this! )

Mind you I'm getting this wacky idea of gutting one to power a tiny little Dragon Rapide I have in mind! Good way to get the urge out of my system until I have time and room to build a larger one! *lol*

And yes CrashinJ, office move from hell being over also means I'll be able to return to the land of the living and do all those things I haven't been able to do.. like getting your cowls in the mail! And building yours too dawnron1!

Oy... All work and no play makes kitty a dull cat :P

K

p.s. Thanks Peter for doing the honours of closing the old and starting the new thread! ^_~
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old May 04, 2006, 09:01 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,243 Posts
Kitty.... where did you find the Aero Ace? Will it fly higher than 25ft?
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old May 04, 2006, 10:59 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,700 Posts
Toyz R Us, Walmart, Zellers...

And while they do get more altitude with a little headwind, I'm not sure what the ceiling height is, but they generate about 8-10g of thrust and weigh about 18g with about 38 sq in of wing area

I think I had mine up atleast 20' the other night, but as it was dark and I was flying by the light of the mostly off parking lot lights, I didn't bother getting it as high as I could go!

There's a HUGE amount of mods people have been doing to them as well as small aircraft built from scratch using Aero Ace guts, right here on rcgroups! Someone made a 4 engined version using the guts of two aero aces on the same channel

K.
Old May 04, 2006, 02:43 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,700 Posts
Ok, I know my excuse.. but where's everyone else? Why so quiet?

Here's an actually on topic question for y'all!

And that is: Has anyone done a scale pull-pull system for the rudder and elevator on their GWS pico moths? I'm doing a pull-pull for the rudders on my Vimy, and it got me thinking about similar systems on other aircraft. I know it's not uncommon for the scale balsa boys, but was just wondering if anyone had tried it with their picos (or 400s for that matter)?

K.
Old May 04, 2006, 05:16 PM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
I used a pull pull system ages ago here's a link of a pic http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=121360 and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=121520

Mark.
althulas is offline Find More Posts by althulas
Old May 04, 2006, 05:30 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,700 Posts
Sweet!

That's beautiful Mark!

Was performance any different at all?

K.
Old May 04, 2006, 05:39 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Kitty, guess I've been too busy flying to post much.

Remember this Pico Moth from Hawaii with scale pull pulls? And pretty much scale everything else.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113234

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old May 04, 2006, 06:47 PM
Joined Oct 2004
145 Posts
Tiger Moth Woes

Gentlemen,

I must be the worst Tiger Moth pilot in the history of rc. While I am new to this plane, I have flown 3 channel indoor planes for over a year, I can pilot my Butterfly successfully in the confines of a small room, and I am reasonably proficient (I don't crash, although I sometimes land to prevent calamity) at both slow flying and basic acrobatics on the IFO. I then purchased the TM for aerial photographyl

I finished the plane two weeks ago, and did a brief maiden flight early one morning.
Flight One
Everything seemed to go fine for the three minutes until I misjudged a the distance to the soccer goal. Ripped off both wings, and then repaired them.
Flight Two
On the next trial run, I guess the battery shifted back into the fuse, because although the controls worked on the radio test, when I started to fly it veered into the right, into a another goal before I could cut the motor and lost the wings again. Velcroed the battery into the fuse
Flight Three
On the third attempt, I had the servos reversed from the IFO and dove straight into the ground. I started to dread trying to fly this thing. On that misadventure, the servos pulled loose. I put them back in but they apparently will not hold.
Flight Four
My flight today lasted one lap around the field before it failed to respond to inputs. When I extricated it from the big ac units, both servos were loose. Any tips on securing the servos?
1) Can I secure them using foam-safe CA?
2) Is it possible to CA them to the double-sided tape (I wired up the struts, and so it is impossible to get full access to the fuse without cutting and redoing the lines)

I like the plane, and am worried I will completely destroy it before I master flying it. In the air it seems docile. How about flying?
1) I hand launch, and it seems to rise so quickly I tend to back off on the throttle. Should I let it get tree-high before attempting to turn?
2) Does it turn in a relatively short area, say the width of a baseball infield?

Thanks for your help. I hope to have this flying before I have to build a second one to capitalize on what I have learned! Who would have thought--can fly the IFO, but can't fly the Tiger Moth!
Dale in Singapore
ssling is offline Find More Posts by ssling
Last edited by ssling; May 04, 2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old May 04, 2006, 11:20 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,700 Posts
Wow Dale, that sounds rather similar to me learning on my black moth! Mind you, this was after trying to learn how to fly on a thrice damned Megatech P51 that NEVER flew, so to me the tiger moth was a step up! Never did hit a goal post though, that was my buddy Eric's curse. ONLY thing sticking up out of the field and he hits it :P Mind you, I have "treed" my birds a couple of times!

Fear not Dale, I've lost count of how many times I've ripped the wings off both my TMs, although I must say that since I've become an avid fan of the GWS contact cement over epoxy for repairs, my orange tiggy is nowhere near the fatness of my 13oz AUW black tiggy

Best thing I can suggest for securing servos (and I know Wayne will back me up on this as he was the one who originally suggested it to me ) is to wrap them in masking them and epoxy them to the sides of the fuse. Haven't had a servo budge since! And yes, I too had an interesting flight when the rudder servo came loose on my black moth, mind you I did get it back on the ground without too much mishap...

So get those wings back on, epoxy those servos in place, and if you haven't done so already, you might want to consider flying wires! I wouldn't fly without them, but then again, I'm also a little bit of a fan of scale stuff! Fun scale mind you! But nonetheless!

Cheers and welcome to the club! ^_~

Kitty

p.s. And Wayne, I do remember that Hawaiian tiggy! I STILL can't believe that's a GWS bird! Check out where the lower wing meets the fuse. Doesn't it look weird to you? Don't know if it's a trick of the camera or not, but it looks like he's got scads of undercamber on that lower wing in the close-up of the main gear shot!
Old May 05, 2006, 10:20 AM
ooops
Dekalb,Illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,452 Posts
Kitty welcome to the AA club. I like to toss my AA, circle, and catch it. It's a whoop!
StCalvin is offline Find More Posts by StCalvin
Old May 05, 2006, 10:25 AM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,387 Posts
Dale,

At least you're not giving up!

Yup, glue those suckers in. As Kitty said, wrap with tape if you want to reuse them later...

She will climb under power in flight and at launch. You'll probably have to launch at a little lower throttle, and back off slowly. She should climb fine if she doesn't stall out, but finding that happy medium is what you're looking for...

And finally yes, the TigerMoth will manouver inside a baseball diamond. I often did figure eights and touch and go's without leaving the 'confines' of the gravel!

Luck,

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old May 05, 2006, 10:48 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,700 Posts
Thanks StC!

Buzz, you can also get your Aero Ace from aeroacemods.com

They also have LED and landing gear kits for them!

I'm also starting to think about pager motor powered teensy tiny tiger moths.. Saw a really nice Buckner Jungmeister in a magazine lately...

K
Old May 05, 2006, 11:43 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,243 Posts
Thanks, Kitty. I'll check them out. But, if I find them in Walmart.... it's all over!
If you use a pager motor..... be sure to take off the offset flywheel that makes them Vibrate. Otherwise, you'll shake your plane to pieces.

Dale... I'll agree with the above suggestions about wrapping your servos with tape and then using epoxy to secure them. I've done some really stupid things, but my servos never move!

Buzz
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old May 05, 2006, 12:34 PM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedKitty
Sweet!

That's beautiful Mark!

Was performance any different at all?

K.
This way you can make your controls absolutely slop free, but OTT for a park flyer like the moth at the end of the day but does make the plane look better though.
althulas is offline Find More Posts by althulas