HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2007, 05:21 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,668 Posts
I am amazed how many times I have to defend this reality, but I'll say it again = Some people DON'T have windless days. That flight I had the other night was the first such night in a long long long long time. Ergo, if we *ever* want to fly our moths, a little extra punch is nice to have. And you don't need to use it all the time, that's what the throttle is for. As I said in my last post, I had the throttle around 1/4 for most of the flight.

You guys can go on about your stock motors all you like, but all I can say is that I've been using my little CDR for over 3yrs now, rain, shine, snow, off water you name it. I've crashed it, banged it, bonked it. A little tuning required after the serious prangs to be sure, but it runs just as well if not better than it did the first time I flew it. Beat that.

And you can't convince me that annoying whirring sounds are pleasant. My job is filled with annoying buzzing, whirring and chirping noises with cellphones, blackberries, error beeps, chimes, gongs, etc. etc.

Ah.. the sounds of silence

K.
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Last edited by LedKitty; Aug 30, 2007 at 11:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2007, 05:32 PM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Bravo, right on Kitty
My Moth has the cdr also. Can't beat it.
Like the fly fisherman who considers himself a purist and won't use live bait, trouble is he isn't catching fish.
Rich
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Last edited by flycracker; Aug 30, 2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 06:10 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycracker
Like the fly fisherman who considers himself a purist and won't use live bait, Rich
I think your're trying to bait and switch!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 30, 2007, 06:26 PM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Darn!! Hoist on my own petard.
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Old Aug 30, 2007, 07:02 PM
Cogito Ergo Sum
Joined Dec 2003
485 Posts
i know this is the moth purist group but........ do any of you guys have the eflite jenny.....and if you do....how do you compare it
Ronald Dobbs is offline Find More Posts by Ronald Dobbs
Old Aug 30, 2007, 08:17 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Dobbs
i know this is the moth purist group but........ do any of you guys have the eflite jenny.....and if you do....how do you compare it
The Moth is much stronger built but they both fly well and are real floaters.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:10 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Dobbs
The most recent issues of Backyard Flyer and Quiet Flyer have reviews on the E-Flite JN-4 Jenny. One report is luke warm on the plane, the other is the usual effusive routine that says "I don't want to offend a sponsor". Bottom line for both reports is the plane makes a great indoor flyer.

Boomer is correct, IMHO. The PTM is a stronger plane, especially with the minimum mods that can be made to it. Yes, the JN4 kit is set up and supplied with a B/L outrunner. Motor mounting, however, is reported to be a tad tricky. Get yourself a Moth, make some of the mods, and discover an incredibly satisfying little plane to fly. Be prepared also to get totally hooked on this bird, even if you end up flying EDF's. Just my 3.6 cents worth, have adjusted for inflation and entitlement program requirements. :ek:

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2007, 08:22 AM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
The most recent issues of Backyard Flyer and Quiet Flyer have reviews on the E-Flite JN-4 Jenny. One report is luke warm on the plane, the other is the usual effusive routine that says "I don't want to offend a sponsor". Bottom line for both reports is the plane makes a great indoor flyer.

Boomer is correct, IMHO. The PTM is a stronger plane, especially with the minimum mods that can be made to it. Yes, the JN4 kit is set up and supplied with a B/L outrunner. Motor mounting, however, is reported to be a tad tricky. Get yourself a Moth, make some of the mods, and discover an incredibly satisfying little plane to fly. Be prepared also to get totally hooked on this bird, even if you end up flying EDF's. Just my 3.6 cents worth, have adjusted for inflation and entitlement program requirements. :ek:

RD
I fly both the pico moth and the e-flite Jenny. Nothing fly's as well as a pico moth with a small outrunner of some kind. The moth can fly circles around the Jenny, literally. I use the strut kit from allerc on every moth I have built. That being said, for simple cruising at sunset, the Jenny has the looks. The motor mount of the Jenny is easy to cut off and add your own firewall mount. I like them both, the Jenny will see more indoor time this winter then the moth. Moth handles a breeze a lot better. Just wish gws would get their act together and get slope gliders available again.
The Jenny is more like a cruisin' car, the moth is more on the "sporty" side... They are different enough that having both is not a problem. Nothing like a small biplane at sunset......
JimH is offline Find More Posts by JimH
Old Aug 31, 2007, 09:06 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
Beauty Contest ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH
... for simple cruising at sunset, the Jenny has the looks.
Oh!....Oh!....Oh!.......(think Joan Rivers)...can we TALK here!!!
Beauty is only skin deep!! OK, with one or two notable exceptions, one being Little Fishy which is a work of art through and through. The Moth is as beautiful the next morning as it was the night before!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH
The Jenny is more like a cruisin' car, the moth is more on the "sporty" side... They are different enough that having both is not a problem. Nothing like a small biplane at sunset......
Agreed, and very eloquently stated. Thanks for sharing....

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2007, 09:12 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,439 Posts
Hi,

I'm just about finished with my pico moth and am looking for suggestions on a battery. Yeah!

The frame, stock IPS motor, and electronics without battery weigh 6.2 oz (174 g).

I have a 700 mAh Etec 2cell that weighs 1.4 oz (40g) and am about ready to purchase one or two additional batteries.

Not having had a model that has a small area for adjusting the battery placement, my concern is getting the appropriate COG without adding lead.

So, any suggestions for a good battery for the moth to set the COG correctly, or am I being too concerned and any reasonable battery that fits will get the COG close enough?

The moth was the first plane that I looked into here on rcgroups way back in 2002. It's nice to (nearly) finally have on flying!

Thanks,
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Aug 31, 2007, 09:22 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
My Moth weighs in at 9.1 Oz, less altimeter, using a TP 1320 2S Lipo strapped to the bottom of the plane. Initially, this may not look "clean" but allows for adjustment of CG as needed. At shown in the photo, my Moth balances very well, no problem with altitude (sorry Buzz ). Good choice of battery would be, IMHO, a 900 - 1320 2S Lipo. 1320 may actually be overkill, and a tad more weight. I use stock IPS motor, "A" gearing, 9x7 orange prop. Many flights, 1000+ feet altitude on occassion (sorry again, Buzz ), nice long sustained flights.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2007, 09:30 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,439 Posts
No, that doesn't look too bad at all. It's an improvement in fact, as most of my planes are profile foamies. Also alleviates the trouble of getting the battery in and out. Thanks.

K
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:45 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
10,104 Posts
Thanks for all the input gang, but I'm not going to go BL with this moth. I have a white Pico under construction with a BL motor. The original yellow moth with keep the IPS motors until I figure out what is wrong with it. At less than 8 oz.... it should be flying like Doug's plane. If the little IPS will haul his plane (which weighs a lot more than mine) up to 1000ft... there is simply no reason for this plane to be stuck at 25ft.

I have a lens bl for the plane, but why put a band aid on something that is obviously wrong? I honestly don't beleive it is the motor. Sure, I could put a huge BL in it, but that is NOT telling me what is wrong with the plane. If I get a big enough motor, I guess I could fly a cement block..... but that's not the issue. So, no BL until I figure out what is wrong with it first.

Those of you looking for Pico Moths can find them on Tower Hobbies site at this link:

http://www.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-cat-a.html

Just key in "GWS Tiger Moth" in the search field and it will bring them up.

Buzz
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:05 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,668 Posts
Buzz.... video....

K.
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:21 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
...it should be flying like Doug's plane. If the little IPS will haul his plane (which weighs a lot more than mine) up to 1000ft... there is simply no reason for this plane to be stuck at 25ft.
Hey, what can I say. Some folks are just on a higher plane!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
I guess I could fly a cement block..... but that's not the issue. So, no BL until I figure out what is wrong with it first.
Is that decision cast in stone?

If you ever DO find out what is causing the altitude limitation, I hope you will keep it a secret! The mystique of your 25 ft. Moth is now stuff of legend, not to be questioned.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Aug 31, 2007 at 12:00 PM.