HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2006, 05:11 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Photo Recon!

O.K.!, Just strap on the wing, and we're ready for a movie run, to find lil' mothy lost! (Tabitha-Ann plans to continue guarding mommie's kitchen chair)!
Lancer31 is online now Find More Posts by Lancer31
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2006, 08:31 PM
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2006
559 Posts
I just ordered a TM400 and a brushless setup. Is it possible / good idea to fly the TM400 with no landing gear at first and belly land in medium grass until I get the hang of things? This will be my first aileron plane. I'm a little concerned about landing on pavement or dirt.

Also does anybody know of a good FMS model for the TM400?

Thanks,

Sympster
Sympster is offline Find More Posts by Sympster
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:09 PM
Death and Taxes
Des Moines I'm in Heaven...I mean Iowa
Joined Feb 2006
833 Posts
Those of you that used the wood struts from allerc, did you pay attention to the directions on the sheet that is supplied with them? If so, where did you put the top wing? It says to measure from the bottom front of the wing 1 9/16 and start the slot there. Okay, I did that, and then it didn't say what to do with the top wing, so I was stupid and put them in the original position, causing the wing to be off from one another. Should have just put them where the original dimples were, and I would have probably been fine. Those of you that have used them, where did you put them ?

Jimmy
conceptmachining is offline Find More Posts by conceptmachining
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:32 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
I don't remember any directions came with mine, I put in the dimples where the original struts went.
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:23 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
I'm with praymond. However I used them as lamination to the original plastic parts.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:59 AM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I put them where the original dimples were, they worked fine for me.

I got my moth finished up tonight, all I have left to do is ad a few more decals, then take it to the pin striper.

After the "accident" it needed a complete rebuild, the fuselage has been repaired (not real good looking, but it will do), it's got new wings and tail, a kitty cowl (you’re cowl worked out great, thanks kitty!!) I salvaged the allerc struts after the "accident" from the old wings, and for the flying wires I used spider wire fishing line this time.

I'm going to call it a 30-foot plane; it will look good from 30 feet through blurry glasses with bad eyes.
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Last edited by Stuart Linfoot; Jul 14, 2006 at 03:51 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 03:45 AM
wig
Joined May 2006
298 Posts
Guys,

I have been flying my TM400 with a Himax 2025-4200
with a gear of 5.33:1, a APC 10X7E with a 3S 2100 for
1 1/2 years and read something that said that I may have
the wrong propeller. I think they recommended a APC 10x7.
Any help with ratios and props and other combinations would
be greatly appreciated!

Wig
wig is offline Find More Posts by wig
Old Jul 14, 2006, 07:52 AM
Death and Taxes
Joined Feb 2006
833 Posts
Yeah, I should have never paid attention to the directions that came with the struts. by the way, what is the 5th single piece used for that comes in the set? Does it brace the wing or something??
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:47 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Struts

With regards to the TM struts, I did what Basketcase did with his TM ie; I glued some CF rods to the provided struts. I've done this with 4 different Pico TM's over the years and some of them have been way overpowered with AXI 2208 34s and 3s lipos packs and I haven't had a wing failure with these
I've used both epoxy and contact cement to attach the CF rods to the plastic struts with equal success.

Here's a couple of shots of one of my somewhat modified TM's with the CF struts.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:56 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Kitty is going to love the Barbie in there.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:20 AM
United States, AL, Randolph
Joined Mar 2004
251 Posts
CAUTION!! off subject.
Buzz,
You should read the MDS ( material data safty sheet) for Ivory flakes. You are supposed to wear a face shield,apron,rubber gloves and wash up after. It contains a small amount of caustic soda, thats what makes it feel so soft.

Larry
Travler is online now Find More Posts by Travler
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:31 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptmachining
Yeah, I should have never paid attention to the directions that came with the struts. by the way, what is the 5th single piece used for that comes in the set? Does it brace the wing or something??
It's a dihedral brace that goes across the center rib on the bottom of the bottom wing to reinforce the joint.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:50 AM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sympster
I just ordered a TM400 and a brushless setup. Is it possible / good idea to fly the TM400 with no landing gear at first and belly land in medium grass until I get the hang of things? This will be my first aileron plane. I'm a little concerned about landing on pavement or dirt.

Also does anybody know of a good FMS model for the TM400?

Thanks,

Sympster
Sympster, I would say go ahead and start with the landing gear. If you belly land in grass with no LG you run the risk of catching the bottom wing and causing damage. Don't be intimidated by landings; practice, practice, practice! Few things are nicer to watch than a smooth scale looking touch-and-go!

Landing is a big subject so I'll just say this: the first and main thing to shoot for is a nice approach. Make a long approach, reduce throttle gradually to about 5% or 10%, and be ready to apply throttle to abort the landing and come around for another try.

As far as FMS models, there is a tiger moth so start with that. But practice on different models. The fact is, it's a lot easier in FMS no matter what model you choose.
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:28 PM
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2006
559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburress
Sympster, I would say go ahead and start with the landing gear. If you belly land in grass with no LG you run the risk of catching the bottom wing and causing damage. Don't be intimidated by landings; practice, practice, practice! Few things are nicer to watch than a smooth scale looking touch-and-go!

Landing is a big subject so I'll just say this: the first and main thing to shoot for is a nice approach. Make a long approach, reduce throttle gradually to about 5% or 10%, and be ready to apply throttle to abort the landing and come around for another try.

As far as FMS models, there is a tiger moth so start with that. But practice on different models. The fact is, it's a lot easier in FMS no matter what model you choose.

OK, I will try it with the landing gear and I'll also get a second bottle of glue.

I found alot of Pico Tiger Moth FMS models (all without ailerons) do you know of a TM400 model and where can I download it?

Thanks,
Sympster
Sympster is offline Find More Posts by Sympster
Old Jul 14, 2006, 03:12 PM
Death and Taxes
Joined Feb 2006
833 Posts
Just got done with my maiden. It flew pretty good...even in the wind. But I tell you those little gusts will darn near it flip it over in a hurry. I have some questions. When flying full throttle, at the correct CG, is it common for the plane to want to pull up? I have a 25turn motor with a 10x6 prop and it was wanting to do loops at full throttle. It may have something to do with my wings being altered due to poor positioning of the wings (in my case). Also, I will be building another one soon. I want to get different servos. Which ones other than Waypoints would you recommend? I can do with more weight as I needed a little clay on the back to get CG right anyway.

jimmy