HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2006, 09:43 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
10,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase
Thanks Doug. After today you might have to find a new title for me.

I'm pretty sure I broke Doug's altitude record, but it probably doesn't count due to a minor technicality... my little mothy flew away!

I needed to test a Berg 4 receiver that seemed to have glitched in the Switchback so I stuck it in the world's ugliest moth for a test flight. Worked perfectly flying around low, so I went a little higher, still fine, so a little higher, still no glitches, a little higher, and repeat, over and over. Only problem was - it was a windy day, probably 6 or 7 mph on the ground and as I found out, much stronger way up there. When it started going backwards fast across the field I figured I should dive to get some speed and fly back, well no luck, by now it was moving so fast and was so high that it became a tiny speck in a moment and I couldn't tell how it was responding to my inputs. Next thing I know it was out of sight headed west over the Gulf of Mexico. My theory is it got so high it was in the jet stream and could see Taiwan so decided to head for home. I just hope the lil guy makes it. If it doesn't and anyone in Texas or California finds a lost red and white TM please let me know.

Today was her 679th flight.
Go lil' Mothy, fly on! Onward and Upward forever!

Wayne
OH NO! Over the gulf? So, do you think it was the Rx or the wind that caused it? All moths world wide sense your loss. My moth is splashing big tears of CA. Seriously, Wayne.... that's too bad. You have to build another one just like it. The world won't stand for this!!! Everyone raise their moth's in a toast to the great Father Moth, where ever it might float. Now, join me in a chant.... "Build Again, Build Again, Build Again!"
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2006, 10:21 AM
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Joined Aug 2003
204 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Doug. After today you might have to find a new title for me.

I'm pretty sure I broke Doug's altitude record, but it probably doesn't count due to a minor technicality... my little mothy flew away!

I needed to test a Berg 4 receiver that seemed to have glitched in the Switchback so I stuck it in the world's ugliest moth for a test flight. Worked perfectly flying around low, so I went a little higher, still fine, so a little higher, still no glitches, a little higher, and repeat, over and over. Only problem was - it was a windy day, probably 6 or 7 mph on the ground and as I found out, much stronger way up there. When it started going backwards fast across the field I figured I should dive to get some speed and fly back, well no luck, by now it was moving so fast and was so high that it became a tiny speck in a moment and I couldn't tell how it was responding to my inputs. Next thing I know it was out of sight headed west over the Gulf of Mexico. My theory is it got so high it was in the jet stream and could see Taiwan so decided to head for home. I just hope the lil guy makes it. If it doesn't and anyone in Texas or California finds a lost red and white TM please let me know.

Today was her 679th flight.
Go lil' Mothy, fly on! Onward and Upward forever!

Wayne
Sorry to hear about the fly-away, Wayne, but I will keep my eye out for it, if it comes home .

Barry
blowentw is offline Find More Posts by blowentw
Old Jul 03, 2006, 12:28 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Hahahhaaahahahahaahhahaahahah
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jul 03, 2006, 12:42 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Thanks Boomer, Doug, Chuck, Buzz and Barry. I don't really deserve any sympathy because it was strictly my own fault. I should know better because I've seen the same thing happen to another guys Pico Moth at one of our other fields. At the time I said, how could anyone be so dumb? Now I know. It was windy, and the moth was fighting it well until it got high enough to hit a fast moving stream of air, then it took off going backwards.

Doug, I had my name and address in it when it was new, but that label had long ago gotten wet and fallen off, always meant to stick a new one on. Should have.

Buzz, I'm sure it was the wind, I still had control right up until it disappeared. Biggest problem was once it was too far away I couldn't tell if I was turning it towards me or away from me, had to pick one and as it worked out it seems it was away from me.
I've had a slope kit waiting to be built for quite awhile. Just never got around to it because the old one just kept on being flyable. For sure, it looked terrible but still flew great.

Thanks Barry LOL, from the speed and heading I'm pretty sure that's where she was going.

Live and learn, in almost five years of flying that is my first lost plane. I think the best solution will be to keep all future moth flights below 25 feet.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jul 03, 2006, 03:45 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
10,849 Posts
Quote:
Live and learn, in almost five years of flying that is my first lost plane. I think the best solution will be to keep all future moth flights below 25 feet.

Wayne
Yeaaahhh! I can tell you, you will have no flyaways at 25ft. Built in safety!

LMAO @ Barry!
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Jul 06, 2006, 01:51 PM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enemy
I think this has been tried a couple times... Didn't work out too well. (I'm not saying you shouldn't. ) Anyone remember who did one of these?

Corey
Hi Corey,
A few months ago someone here (sorry I don't remember who, but thanks!) posted a link to a thread started 2 years ago by "Brutus" titled "TM-A Tiger Moth Aerobatic Build" that described a well thought out and well executed approach to adding ailerons to the pico moth, along with flight test reports and subsequent mods--especially adding in aileron differential to prevent yaw. His final conclusion was that cutting out so much of both wings hurt the wing strength and made the moth less durable. So I'm thinking about how to reinforce the wings (of course using "burnt string") and still keep her light. Also would like to figure out how to seal the gaps that ribbed ailerons would create when actuated.
Meanwhile I finally got my home internet connection working again, and both moths are flying, so I will post some pics of the latest repairs, and maybe some in flight if the wind dies down this weekend. Here's the link to the TM-Aerobatic build:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=250326&pp=15
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
Old Jul 06, 2006, 04:06 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Burntstring, yes, Brutus reports that his moth flies well with ailerons, but don't forget he is using a HiMax 2015 in a GWS gearbox so his moth weighs more than an average Pico Moth and also flies quite a bit faster. The high speed is one of the necessary ingredients in making ailerons effective.

It's been proven that at the low speeds a stock or even CDROM powered moth flies that ailerons don't work very well in the normal way. About the best compromise is to set the servos so the ailerons don't have any down travel but only move up. If the ailerons move down they cause so much adverse yaw that the plane mostly just keeps going straight but is flying sideways.

This was my experiment with an Astro 010 and ailerons on my old yellow moth:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...?t=92428&pp=15

Wayne
Old Jul 06, 2006, 10:50 PM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Tampa, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
Hi Yall

Just popin in to say hi Wayne.

Wore my tiggy tour maiden pilot shirt on a checkout ride of this experimental home-built birdie this morning.

You are on my short list of first passengers when I get my ticket Wayne.

Cheers,

Luis~
dulcelife is offline Find More Posts by dulcelife
Old Jul 06, 2006, 11:06 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Sweet Ride there Luis, build a mini moth next! Was that from a kit? hehehe, looks like strong balsa!
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jul 06, 2006, 11:12 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Howdy Luis, nice looking little plane there. Bet it's a lot of fun to fly.

Hope the lessons are going very well. Thanks for putting me on the short list, that's a lot better than my usual place for riding, (on the short bus).

Too cool
Keep the shiny side up,

Wayne
Old Jul 06, 2006, 11:32 PM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
Quote:
Howdy Luis, nice looking little plane there. Bet it's a lot of fun to fly.

Hope the lessons are going very well. Thanks for putting me on the short list, that's a lot better than my usual place for riding, (on the short bus).

Too cool
Keep the shiny side up,

Wayne
You bet. No short bus for you buddy. It's going great and this little birdie is alot different than the C172 I've been flying. The C172 is like Dad's Buick. This Avid Mark IV is more like a little Miata. Also joystick versus wheel which is a ton more fun and amazingly familiar in feel (R/C flight) despite the difference in scale.

I may just stick to a sport ticket since it means less time and expense to the certificate as well as able to solo with a D/L and no medical! and these can be had for as little as 12K used.

Time will tell,

Sorry for the thread hijack and off-topic folks.

L~
Old Jul 06, 2006, 11:32 PM
AMA 6418
New Stanton, Pa.
Joined Jan 2004
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcelife
Just popin in to say hi Wayne.

Wore my tiggy tour maiden pilot shirt on a checkout ride of this experimental home-built birdie this morning.

You are on my short list of first passengers when I get my ticket Wayne.

Cheers,

Luis~
Hi Luis, good to hear from you!

...Keith...
Keith Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Wilson
Old Jul 06, 2006, 11:33 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,671 Posts
I so love that little plane! ^_^ More pics Luis!

K
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old Jul 06, 2006, 11:56 PM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedKitty
I so love that little plane! ^_^ More pics Luis!

K
I didn't take many but here's Mike Z my future sport CFI

Hi Keith
Old Jul 07, 2006, 07:16 AM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
Good luck with your certificate Luis. That bird looks lovely and only 12k, what's the performance and range?

Nearly finished my refurb of moth 3, camo job gone. Took some sanding to get all that paint off, and some more sanding and filling and more sanding plus a coat of minowax to get a nice shiny fuse. just the wires and decaling to do, will post some pics soon.

Mark.
althulas is offline Find More Posts by althulas