HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:42 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI
Hey, I resemble you guys....I am 3/4 way through finishing up my Pico TM and as a sideshow, play around with my Aero Ace, and my second sideshow is when I pull out my Lama2! How about that?!
I have been flying my Lama2 now for about 9 months, gone through a "few" spare parts too! I originally bought it to fly indoors, being I always wanted to try a helicopter, but never plan to take it up full time. Just a play toy to say I did it! I have fun with it, but it really doesn't fit well in our house. We don't have any large enough open space, even though we have a big house. I just solved that problem yesterday though....I stopped by Radio Shack and they just happened to have got in a few Spin blade 2 channel helis. I couldn't resist, even though I kept reading all the threads about how they couldn't compare to a lama. Guess what....I love it FOR INDOORS. No worries at all. Bounces off furniture and keeps going unlike the lama which folds itself up into a death ball to the floor. Won't hurt furniture, very small and light. Well worth it and glad I got it. Sure, not as much control as my Lama, but that's half the fun....the challenge of steering it.
My AA flies very well. I found that little slices of my old nitro stick on lead weights stick under the nose very well and balances it out perfectly. Flies all over our neighborhood with ease.
Anyway, nearing completion of my Tiger Moth. This has been one fun build. All stock, IPS, following some mods found in these TM threads. Can't wait to fly the little guy.
Ken
I have two of those little heli's that I fly around indoors. I take the bodies off of them to lighten them, and add a bit of weight in the nose. The extra weight will make it pitch forward better. I just wish they would fly longer on a charge. I hover over the cat and blow air on him until he tries to attack the heli. I also crashed into my Tiger Moth with one of them and it didn't do one bit of damage. These little things are a riot!
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2006, 01:33 PM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
...I hover over the cat and blow air on him until he tries to attack the heli....
Buzz, you crack me up. I bet you really like the cat but you're just envious, cause the cat gets to laze around all day. But he doesn't get fly either, unless you strap him in to some 1/4 scale model...

Going back to inverted flying, I had my moth upside down for a little while last night, and had better control after thinking through the rudder reversals from inverted and coming towards yourself. Also got the broken 3DTM wing fixed and took pictures. But my internet connection at home is hosed up for the computer that has all the camera software on it. Something in the router, apparently, since my daughters computer connects just fine. Anyway I've been lurking and will post some pix when I can. The 3D flies so fast compared to the PTM. Maybe my next build should be a light PTM with ailerons and no diherdal. Try to get slow flight but still be able to do a roll, and have better control when inverted. Thoughts?
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
Old Jun 30, 2006, 09:26 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntstringflier
Buzz, you crack me up. I bet you really like the cat but you're just envious, cause the cat gets to laze around all day. But he doesn't get fly either, unless you strap him in to some 1/4 scale model...
Oh, I love my cat... I just like to pester him. Hmmmm..... 1/4 scale would fit him about right.......

I have an announcement to make.......

Last night I flew the 25' Tiger Moth. It hasn't been flown for quite a while. I had a friend with me and there wasn't a bit of wind. I took off with the Moth, and he pitched an Aero Ace. I took the moth up as high as it would go. I swear, last night I think it reached 26ft. which is a new altitude record. The Aero Ace was about 100ft. up and my friend kept trying to glide down and attack me. We ended up in a dog fight at 25ft. The moth won't fly very high, but boy is it agile. I was flying behind bushes, around trees and suddenly I looked at the Aero Ace and BANG.... a head to head midair!!!!
The AA went straight into the dirt.... the Moth kept going with one blade on the prop and I made a very shakey landing. Uhhh... the AA was dead. The prop on the TM knocked a motor off and hacked the top wing almost in half.
We came back and taped the wing on the AA and put the motor back on and it still flies fine. BUT, SCORE ONE for the 25ft. Tiger Moth! That's the first time I've ever taken someone out on purpose!
Old Jun 30, 2006, 09:40 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
So are you going to post a picture of the TM with a silloette of an aeroace as a kill mark near the cockpit?
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:23 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Pop a 3s lipo pack in there, next time it will be swiss cheese! Put on the kill mark!!
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:04 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Lethal Moth

Just because it's limited to low altitude doesn't mean your Moth lacks bite!! Maybe that's why it's called a T.I.G.E.R Moth!!

Another low flying but totally lethal plane comes to mind: The A-10 Warthog!

Thus far in my "flying career", I have had three midairs, two of which were of the major category. Glad to hear your Moth both survived the encounter and was victorious! GO MOTHS!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Jun 30, 2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:44 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts

boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:51 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,599 Posts
I Did It Again!! Carnage!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc
So are you going to post a picture of the TM with a silloette of an aeroace as a kill mark near the cockpit?
Yep, folks... we flew again today. Not a breath of wind. The AA still flew as well as before the headon collision. So, we both took off again and I went to the glass ceiling as he would swoop down on me from above and try to hit me. He came really close a couple of times! This is exciting stuff!

So, I'm still flying on NIMH packs and I could hear the motor slow a bit. I flew another circuit and then set up for my final. I was about 5 ft off the ground and I saw this little missile heading straight at me. Oh, no.... not again! I hammered the throttle and pulled up hard .... but I somehow managed to hit the AA again.

This time I killed it dead! We both tried to pull up at the same time and it was devastating to the AA. What are the chances? Both of these kills were accidents! I can't even get close to another plane if I'm trying.
Here are some pics... The moth is fine, I just needed to put the cowl back on. The AA.... .uhh... I somehow hit the TOP wing and then hit it again on the bottom plate which smashed it in totally.... and then proceeded to take the tail off. We never did find that. It was like the AA was tangled in my prop for a second. The tiger moth didn't even break the prop... and I was able to land with a really crooked cowling. The AA came down smoking. That fatal hit on the bottom plate drove it up and into the lipo and it caught fire! You can see the burned places in the plastic in one of the pictures. That's the second lipo fire I've had with an AA. Anyway.... SCORE TWO for the little Moth!!

CARNAGE.....

These pictures really suck! They are hi-res pictures but they look horrible. Anyway, if you look hard enough, you'll see the two kills on the TM. Heh Heh.

So, afterwards, I did this in the front yard. Those are 75ft. tall pine trees I'm flying over. AA's really are a LOT of fun. Turn up your volume... you can tell I'm flying about 1/4 throttle, and it sounds like a mosquito up there!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v8...t=MVC-001W.flv
Old Jun 30, 2006, 05:25 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Buzz,
What in the world is wrong with that camera? Even Photoshop couldn't do much with those but here is the result anyway!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jun 30, 2006, 09:40 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Buzz:

Ref: second photo, that of the Moth

I was experiencing damage in this same area, where the landing gear expands and splits the foam fuselage. I did a "quick and dirty" repair. It has held up very well. FYI only.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:19 PM
Box Elder, SD
Joined May 2002
1,473 Posts
What do you guys use for wing rigging wire? I'm finally getting off my tail and working on my 2nd Moth. Today I did the wings and they are tempory on it right now. I need to paint the new cowl. Install the radio, cut the battery area out to hold my 2 cell 800ma lipos and its flyable.

CrashinJ
nr5a is offline Find More Posts by nr5a
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:35 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Doug, a good repair for that landing gear channel is some split carbon tube, or plastic tube or whatever. Makes the fuse practically bulletproof.

Hi Crashin J, I used unwaxed dental floss on both of my Pico Moths with very good results. However others have reported stretchy floss, I must have been lucky because mine doesn't seem to have stretched in 700 flights.
But really, any light weight non stretchy thread will work, fishing line like spyder wire, or kevlar thread from the LHS are two good choices.
I use a piece of scrap strut material to make a strip that runs under the fuse and is glued to the top of the dihedral brace to hold the inner lower ends of the flying wires.

Here's a diagram by Led Kitty, and a pic of my rigging (with dental floss).

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:42 PM
AMA 6418
New Stanton, Pa.
Joined Jan 2004
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase
Hi Doug, a good repair for that landing gear channel is some split carbon tube, or plastic tube or whatever. Makes the fuse practically bulletproof.

Hi Crashin J, I used unwaxed dental floss on both of my Pico Moths with very good results. However others have reported stretchy floss, I must have been lucky because mine doesn't seem to have stretched in 700 flights.
But really, any light weight non stretchy thread will work, fishing line like spyder wire, or kevlar thread from the LHS are two good choices.
I use a piece of scrap strut material to make a strip that runs under the fuse and is glued to the top of the dihedral brace to hold the inner lower ends of the flying wires.

Here's a diagram by Led Kitty, and a pic of my rigging (with dental floss).

Wayne
I use dental floss also. just make sure its unwaxed. I cut a pice over size, then color it with a Magic Marker before I install it.

...Keith...
Keith Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Wilson
Old Jul 01, 2006, 12:31 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Here is what we do for some of our other planes to make sure the landing gear doesn't split the fuse open.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jul 01, 2006, 09:26 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Buzz,
What in the world is wrong with that camera? Even Photoshop couldn't do much with those but here is the result anyway!
boomer
Hi Boomer.... I have no idea what happened on those pictures. I think I had the aperture set wrong. Plus there really wasn't enough light, but it's never done that before. Thanks for working on them... at least you can see the kill marks now.

Doug: Those are scars from before I fixed my landing gear. I put in a very thin plywood former and then epoxied the gear to that. It doesn't move at all now, but I'm sure all of that contributed to the weight. If I can get this camera to work right, I want to show you something I discovered on the Moth. It might be part of the reason it won't go over 25ft. I'll try the camera again in a while.