SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:18 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
TeamTEOR's Avatar
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Hey guys and gals, I had my moth out today. I have got to get some pictures of it flying while the Fountain is turned on, I had a guy who was quite upset today give me a nasty look. He was trying to fly his stunt kite, and there was not enough wind for him. A quick throttle up from me and I was in the air doing more tricks than he was able to do on his short flights. I was waiting for him to say something, but I was just happy that he didn't key my van on his way to put the kite away.

On another note, I picked up a new project. Pictures will follow in a couple of weeks.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2006, 01:36 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWarriorBelgy
feed in opposite rudder of the roll to stabalize...small inputs is all but they will need to be put in constantly, helps to fly into a slight breeze when learning this ..believe it or not due to wind vaning effect.....also when inverted...rudder will seam opposite, like flying towards you. (right is left ..left is right)



It better ... or you'll never live it down
( *Belgy casts a new line and Lure*)





yes.... ... but there is a trick without ailerons..

gotta keep her quite a bit faster than stall speed so you can rock her with rudder inputs and elevator inputs to keep her up during the roll. Gettin into 3d flying has helped me quite a bit with mothrobatics.




too slow....more ground speed...throttle up a notch or two and trim her to fly straight and level at that speed...you'll find it makes it much easier and smaller inputs will do more than you think for barnstorming low and slow

Wayne has it down pat...but he gets to fly almost everyday.
On that level, he is one of my luckiest friends and I envy him.

Chuck
LOL! Another lure? It will do it with the lens motor. I know about flying inverted with other planes... especially the incredible disorientations of flying toward yourself inverted. It does take some practice to learn that up is down, down is up. right is left, left is right, etc. The only thing that remains constant is the throttle. But, remember... I'm doing all of what I described with the 25ft moth, so I don't have enough power to keep it inverted for long....and I can only fly one mistake high. I'm going to try your tailwheel touch. It sounds easy, but if Wayne can't do it..... I don't think I have much of a chance. I'll have to try the one wheel landing again with more speed. I'm approaching way too slow, and then having to throttle up to maintain enough airpspeed to keep it on one wheel. Outside loops? I know I don't have the power to do that! I was doing pylon turns around a palm tree at WOT, and when I landed.....Oh No! Wrinkles in the wings!
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 05:25 PM
Registered User
kdahlhaus's Avatar
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,528 Posts
Over on the Easy Star thread, many people are using double-sided poster tape to tape the fuse together instead of gluing - allowing for easy access to the inside. Has anyone tried this with the Moth? I'm thinking of doing so to make it easier to upgrade to brushless in the future.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 05:47 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
Basketcase's Avatar
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Buzz, thanks, maybe I'll have to move my CG back a little and see if I can do the tailskid touch. I'm just using a toothpick and it's worn down to really short. The wheel I had on there kept getting ripped off by the grass at the other field so I finally gave up on it and went to the skid.



Kdahlhous,

Not necessary with the Pico Moth.

There is pleny of access to the inside once the wing is off, or even just slid back on the fuse. It's only difficult to remove the wing if you install flying wires, and even then easy if you remove the landing gear.

Upgrading to brushless should require no more than mounting the new motor on the same stock stick (after removing the cowl), and changing the speed control.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 06:21 PM
Registered User
kdahlhaus's Avatar
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,528 Posts
Wayne,

Ok thanks - glue it is then. By the way, I love the paint job on your Tiger Moth (the yellow w/trainers tail and US Star). I am attempting to copy it - hope you are not offended.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 07:10 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
Basketcase's Avatar
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Not at all, in fact I'm flattered and glad you like it.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 05:27 AM
Captain Carnage says......
AirWarriorBelgy's Avatar
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
LOL! Another lure? It will do it with the lens motor. I know about flying inverted with other planes... especially the incredible disorientations of flying toward yourself inverted. It does take some practice to learn that up is down, down is up. right is left, left is right, etc. The only thing that remains constant is the throttle. But, remember... I'm doing all of what I described with the 25ft moth, so I don't have enough power to keep it inverted for long....and I can only fly one mistake high. I'm going to try your tailwheel touch. It sounds easy, but if Wayne can't do it..... I don't think I have much of a chance. I'll have to try the one wheel landing again with more speed. I'm approaching way too slow, and then having to throttle up to maintain enough airpspeed to keep it on one wheel. Outside loops? I know I don't have the power to do that! I was doing pylon turns around a palm tree at WOT, and when I landed.....Oh No! Wrinkles in the wings!
the slower decent glide / rate and Tail wheel touches I acheive with a more aft CG location.. I know if I hold the upper wing Rodgerdodger style I sit level or barely tail down....rememeber Rocky like's a more squirrelly plane
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:50 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWarriorBelgy
the slower decent glide / rate and Tail wheel touches I acheive with a more aft CG location.. I know if I hold the upper wing Rodgerdodger style I sit level or barely tail down....rememeber Rocky like's a more squirrelly plane
So, skill has nothing to do with it???

Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:49 PM
Captain Carnage says......
AirWarriorBelgy's Avatar
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
So, skill has nothing to do with it???


Just like NASCAR eh?
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:50 PM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
You'll be able to go over 1000 easy. My altitude record is 1228ft.
Yep, you were right of course. Had the Moth up this evening between 7:30 and 8:00 PM. Calm to trace winds. She looked to be going up a little higher on the second flight, as the first flight was shorter and good for 445 feet up. Then a new 1320 2S1P was installed, some minor elevator trim adjustments, and back up again. At 25-1/4 minutes, she was back on the ground. Used my finger do-thwangie to trip the altimeter readback. Yep, definitely better this time..... 1013 feet. And, the Moth was still clearly visable against some fluffy clouds. I definitely had to have been pushing 1100-1200 feet on the day she was nothing but a yellow spec, and the subsequent fly-under.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 12:03 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWarriorBelgy
Just like NASCAR eh?
Hahahaha! Are you making all left turns too?

If it wasn't so expensive, I'd buy you a ride at the Richard Petty School at the speedway. I've done it, and I've been road racing cars for years. Riding in a stock car at nearly 200mph.... 2 inches from the wall scared the pure poop out of me! It was fun, but I gained an entirely new point of view on NASCAR racing.
There is a LOT of skill involved. If the driver even lifts his foot off the accellerator the car will spin out!

I'll have to find out where my son got his Tshirt. On the back it has the NASCAR stripes, but instead of NASCAR.... it says "Boring"!
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 02:09 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Yep, you were right of course. Had the Moth up this evening between 7:30 and 8:00 PM. Calm to trace winds. She looked to be going up a little higher on the second flight, as the first flight was shorter and good for 445 feet up. Then a new 1320 2S1P was installed, some minor elevator trim adjustments, and back up again. At 25-1/4 minutes, she was back on the ground. Used my finger do-thwangie to trip the altimeter readback. Yep, definitely better this time..... 1013 feet. And, the Moth was still clearly visable against some fluffy clouds. I definitely had to have been pushing 1100-1200 feet on the day she was nothing but a yellow spec, and the subsequent fly-under.

RD
That fly-under would have made a great photograph. The day I got the Wingo up so high, with those big wings, it was no trouble at all to see it at over 1200 ft. I probably could have gone higher, but the wind came up and if you've ever flown a wingo... you know that every landing will make it fall apart. It did. I landed hard and it bounced up, veered to the right and hit a "Stop" sign, which broke the fuse. I should repair it. It's fun to fly while it's in one piece.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 04:29 PM
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Buzz,
How do you fly the Co Co Lama outdoors? I got mine today and found it doesn't do well under 2 large ceiling air conditioning ducts blowing full blast! Kind of hard to predict flight direction as it passes under the ducts!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:42 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Buzz,
How do you fly the Co Co Lama outdoors? I got mine today and found it doesn't do well under 2 large ceiling air conditioning ducts blowing full blast! Kind of hard to predict flight direction as it passes under the ducts!
boomer
Hi Boomer.... I don't fly in the house anymore for the very reason you mention.
I wait until about 7pm when there is NO wind, and then I fly outside over the grass in my lawn. I fly my Aero Aces the same way. I flew last night until I could barely see the AA. Glad to hear you got one. The more you fly it the better you'll like it. Don't make the mistake of putting one of these aftermarket custom bodies on it. It won't fly as well, and the motors aren't vented properly.
Leave the stock body on it.... it flies a lot better.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:55 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
CSI's Avatar
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,989 Posts
Hey, I resemble you guys....I am 3/4 way through finishing up my Pico TM and as a sideshow, play around with my Aero Ace, and my second sideshow is when I pull out my Lama2! How about that?!
I have been flying my Lama2 now for about 9 months, gone through a "few" spare parts too! I originally bought it to fly indoors, being I always wanted to try a helicopter, but never plan to take it up full time. Just a play toy to say I did it! I have fun with it, but it really doesn't fit well in our house. We don't have any large enough open space, even though we have a big house. I just solved that problem yesterday though....I stopped by Radio Shack and they just happened to have got in a few Spin blade 2 channel helis. I couldn't resist, even though I kept reading all the threads about how they couldn't compare to a lama. Guess what....I love it FOR INDOORS. No worries at all. Bounces off furniture and keeps going unlike the lama which folds itself up into a death ball to the floor. Won't hurt furniture, very small and light. Well worth it and glad I got it. Sure, not as much control as my Lama, but that's half the fun....the challenge of steering it.
My AA flies very well. I found that little slices of my old nitro stick on lead weights stick under the nose very well and balances it out perfectly. Flies all over our neighborhood with ease.
Anyway, nearing completion of my Tiger Moth. This has been one fun build. All stock, IPS, following some mods found in these TM threads. Can't wait to fly the little guy.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion GWS Tiger Moth thread - Part 28 Ozprey Parkflyers 2388 Apr 28, 2006 01:10 AM
GWS Tiger Moth story - Part 9 Martin Hunter Parkflyers 547 Jan 01, 2004 07:32 PM
GWS Tiger Moth Story - Part 9 The Enemy Parkflyers 2 Dec 18, 2003 09:21 PM
GWS Tiger Moth Story - Part 8 The Enemy Parkflyers 566 Dec 18, 2003 09:11 PM
GWS Tiger Moth Story - Part 7 The Enemy Parkflyers 521 Dec 04, 2003 11:01 PM