HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:22 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntstringflier
Remember Kitty, why we all go to work--to pay for moth parts and batteries, of course!
Haha yeah.. but my question is why can't it be stormy and windy and poohey while I'm at work and beautiful and calm when I'm not? :P

Wheee.. well, the wind has picked up, so I'm not as cranky.. of course.. the workday is drawing to a close and... doh!

Oh well!

K
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:47 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntstringflier
Likewise, stuck at work with the moth at home. But yesterday I brought her to work to show a couple of coworkers how she could fly. I even put in a new etec 450mAh battery in her (second charge, so still getting better) and they were impressed. Flew around an empty parking lot, in the wind, flew inverted, did some loops, then did a mild turn, and the wings just folded right up, and down she went. Fortunately into the grass, but still broke the prop and motor stick and stripped the spur gear. Motor, prop shaft and BP aluminum gearbox all fine. So about $3 to fix. Since both wings came apart on landing, I now have a 4 winged moth! Could call it a bi-biplane, or bye-byeplane, but no, I will fix her once again. There must have been some damage from the last crash that I didn't see, or she's getting heavy in her old age. At any rate, it must be time to brace those wings.
Remember Kitty, why we all go to work--to pay for moth parts and batteries, of course!
Ok, what is the secret to rolling the moth over to fly inverted? I've tried rudder rolls, (shhhh... but my plane will only fly 25ft high. Seriously) and it always ends up in in a death spin/dive which I have to get out of before I kiss mother earth. I have no problem maintaining a multiple pylon turn with wings vertical, but I cannot get mine to roll over. (maybe it's related to the altitude problem)
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:59 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I have always done a half loop on Tigermoths to get them inverted.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 05:36 PM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
And learn how to fly in those Hurricanes!!

Sorry, Flycracker, just couldn't resist.

My father lives in Stuart, FL and took two of them storms within three weeks back in 2004, both making landfall at......you guesses it.....Stuart!

Aaarg!!!!

RD
Have never had anything other than a bad T-storm here in the past 17 years . Of course there is always this summer.
Bye the Bye, will be moving up to your part of the country (Blythewood - Lake Carolina) later this year to be near our daughter. I suspect the TM will be just as happy up there.
Rich
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Old Jun 21, 2006, 06:23 PM
United States, AL, Randolph
Joined Mar 2004
255 Posts
Doug,
Ireside in Florida.. at least part of the year and I,m in Iowa now. I don't like them hurricanes either. Course the ones you get in a glass aren't bad. To keep this on subject I may get in some moth flyin in tonight.

Larry
Travler is offline Find More Posts by Travler
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:45 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Inverted moths!?!? Everytime I try that I wreck or nearly wreck.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jun 22, 2006, 01:00 AM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Inverted? Yup, half roll... Most being unintended immelmans.

Speaking of moving about, I got offered a job at a bank. Thing is, I would have to move 10 hours' drive North to Cochrane Ontario. (a community of 5,500ppl) I don't know if I want to move so far away from my new nephiews, my car, and my family/friends... I'm just seeing if the money is worth it.

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Jun 22, 2006, 06:50 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Stock Moth inverted,

half loop, full down trim, full down stick, rear CG will only drop about 1 foot per ten feet traveled, if you get a good head wind she'll float forever.

If you have a Moth On steroids it will sustain inverted. (BC's will do it)

but i was the first SCF flyer to go inverted.....all were in Awe.

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Jun 22, 2006, 07:13 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
But Chuck did you mean to go inverted when you did it for the first time?
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 09:02 AM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc
But Chuck did you mean to go inverted when you did it for the first time?
Wes
I bet it was his full intention, to lose another passenger! I've heard the stories, Chuck, I know some of the things you've done...
Just Kidding.

It probably WAS on purpose though. Years ago before I started RC but was reading up on it here, I would read the SCF thread religiously. Without those guys (some of which are still around RCGroups), their stories, and their TigerMoths, I wouldn't have chosen the Moth for myself. Heck, I probably wouldn't have the enjoyment and friends on this thread that I do now...

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Jun 22, 2006, 02:27 PM
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
I absolutely did it on purpose....I was inspired by Doppler who was one of the first TM afficianados, and seldom seen here any more.

he posted a vid of him doing it with an M-100 Motor, the glide rate was atrocious...but inverted it was...I got the glide rate down to a point where, if i had tires on top, it could safely land (barring the possibility of shearing the vertical stab and rudder)

Then the Lens CD ROm motors hit the market, now its no big deal to see an inverted moth at the SCF anymore.

so now my new trick is tail wheel only touch and goes.

Its even harder.

Chuck
Old Jun 22, 2006, 05:05 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWarriorBelgy
I absolutely did it on purpose....I was inspired by Doppler who was one of the first TM afficianados, and seldom seen here any more.

he posted a vid of him doing it with an M-100 Motor, the glide rate was atrocious...but inverted it was...I got the glide rate down to a point where, if i had tires on top, it could safely land (barring the possibility of shearing the vertical stab and rudder)

Then the Lens CD ROm motors hit the market, now its no big deal to see an inverted moth at the SCF anymore.

so now my new trick is tail wheel only touch and goes.

Its even harder.

Chuck
I can do the half loop, but cannot sustain the inverted. It always rolls off one way or the other and I can't correct it. The soon to be built white moth will have the lens motor and lipos....so maybe I'll have enough power to get it higher and hold it inverted. Tail wheel touches.... interesting. Can you land on one wheel and then rog without touching the other one on the ground?
The only way I can do it is by trying to crab in on a slight crosswind. More often than not, I do a one wheel hop which turns into a ground loop. Meh!
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Jun 22, 2006, 05:43 PM
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
I can do the half loop, but cannot sustain the inverted. It always rolls off one way or the other and I can't correct it.
feed in opposite rudder of the roll to stabalize...small inputs is all but they will need to be put in constantly, helps to fly into a slight breeze when learning this ..believe it or not due to wind vaning effect.....also when inverted...rudder will seam opposite, like flying towards you. (right is left ..left is right)

Quote:
The soon to be built white moth will have the lens motor and lipos....so maybe I'll have enough power to get it higher and hold it inverted.
It better ... or you'll never live it down
( *Belgy casts a new line and Lure*)

Quote:
Tail wheel touches.... interesting. Can you land on one wheel and then rog without touching the other one on the ground?
yes.... ... but there is a trick without ailerons..

gotta keep her quite a bit faster than stall speed so you can rock her with rudder inputs and elevator inputs to keep her up during the roll. Gettin into 3d flying has helped me quite a bit with mothrobatics.

Quote:
The only way I can do it is by trying to crab in on a slight crosswind. More often than not, I do a one wheel hop which turns into a ground loop. Meh
too slow....more ground speed...throttle up a notch or two and trim her to fly straight and level at that speed...you'll find it makes it much easier and smaller inputs will do more than you think for barnstorming low and slow

Wayne has it down pat...but he gets to fly almost everyday.
On that level, he is one of my luckiest friends and I envy him.

Chuck
Old Jun 22, 2006, 05:46 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
With the Len's motor outside loops from inverted can be done. It is a bit tricky keeping it from rolling out to one side or the other. Half decent rudder rolls are also doable.

One wheel touch and goes? Piece o' cake.

But I can't do a tail wheel only touch and go like Chuck, for some reason when I try to touch the tail the main wheels hit about the same time as the skid, the best I can manage is a three pointer.

Wayne

oops, Chuck posted same while I was typing. Thanks Chuck!
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jun 22, 2006, 05:51 PM
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase
With the Len's motor outside loops from inverted can be done. It is a bit tricky keeping it from rolling out to one side or the other. Half decent rudder rolls are also doable.

One wheel touch and goes? Piece o' cake.

But I can't do a tail wheel only touch and go like Chuck, for some reason when I try to touch the tail the main wheels hit about the same time as the skid, the best I can manage is a three pointer.

Wayne

oops, Chuck posted same while I was typing. Thanks Chuck!

Your Welcome

Chuck

PS glad to see you somewhere.....past two weekends the weather flopped me out.....plus things with Helens' mom dying ...soooo

hopefully this weekend.....I almost have the Tensor done...then i will build the new accent