Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:10 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
10,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by selector
hi buzz
can you explain how this "wing stick back on" induces such a behavior improvement ?
thanks
anthony
PS i know it's off topic, but buzz please PM me if you think it's preferable ..
OK, one more off topic.... The Aero Ace flies slow and porpoises a lot with two wings. I simply pulled the bottom wings off of the plane and detached the wing struts by gently pulling on them until the contact cement lets go. Then you are left with only the top wing. We all know that biplanes are slow flyers, but making it a mono plane changes all of that. If you take your bottom wings off you will notice a definite increase in speed. Because of the extra speed, you can gain altitude much faster, then cut back to minimum power and fly around over the trees for quite a while. I get about 18 to 20 minutes on one charge because I get way up there and glide with no power.
If you want to put your bottom wings back on, the clear contact cement is still there, and you just stick them and the struts back on.

Wayne... yeah, it does seem backwards, doesn't it? I throw a towel over the TM when I fly the AA's so it won't get depressed.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:38 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
OK, one more off topic.... The Aero Ace flies slow and porpoises a lot with two wings. I simply pulled the bottom wings off of the plane and detached the wing struts by gently pulling on them until the contact cement lets go. Then you are left with only the top wing. We all know that biplanes are slow flyers, but making it a mono plane changes all of that. If you take your bottom wings off you will notice a definite increase in speed. Because of the extra speed, you can gain altitude much faster, then cut back to minimum power and fly around over the trees for quite a while. I get about 18 to 20 minutes on one charge because I get way up there and glide with no power.
If you want to put your bottom wings back on, the clear contact cement is still there, and you just stick them and the struts back on.

Wayne... yeah, it does seem backwards, doesn't it? I throw a towel over the TM when I fly the AA's so it won't get depressed.

Ahem!!
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Jun 15, 2006, 01:26 PM
www.frappr.com/tigermoth
france
Joined Apr 2004
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
OK, one more off topic.... The Aero Ace flies slow and porpoises a lot with two wings. I simply pulled the bottom wings off of the plane and detached the wing struts by gently pulling on them until the contact cement lets go.
thanks for your reply
i left my x-twin in the car, so i can't examine the junction between struts and lower wing right now, but i see what you mean and i'll maybe try this, because when reading you it seems really easy to do

before closing the off-topic section, i'd like to show you my last video, after all it deals with an aerial subject :
The MentoSoda Rocket Experiment (3 min 49 sec)

i suppose most of you heard about the idiocies we can do when mixing mentos and soda (if not, a quick search on youtube should do the trick), but this time, my own exploitation of this unusual phenomenon doesn't induce exactly the same kind of laughing ...

cheers
anthony
selector is offline Find More Posts by selector
Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:53 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
LOL! Hovering soda rules! I wonder how well a TM would hold up to rocket propulsion.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jun 16, 2006, 04:59 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTEOR
LOL! Hovering soda rules! I wonder how well a TM would hold up to rocket propulsion.

probably about as well as toilet paper holds up to to a garden hose's full blast

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:34 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWarriorBelgy
probably about as well as toilet paper holds up to to a garden hose's full blast

Chuck
LMAO!!! Exactly what I need for my Tiger Moth!!!! Kind of a hard launch though! Funny stuff!
Old Jun 16, 2006, 02:02 PM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
Great posting Selector pmsl at that, looks a great way to sabourtage the misses diet coke
althulas is offline Find More Posts by althulas
Old Jun 16, 2006, 03:08 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by althulas
Great posting Selector pmsl at that, looks a great way to sabourtage the misses diet coke
PMSL???? HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's as funny as the video! I'm going to have to start using that!
Old Jun 16, 2006, 09:50 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
hehehehehe....
Old Jun 17, 2006, 03:22 AM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I haven't posted here in a while but thought I'd give you all an update, the John Deere Tiger Moth lives once again.

Last December, My Father-In-Law crashed it pretty good, and it was looking to be kinda hopeless for a time, so I bought a new kit, and was going to build a new moth, but decided to try my hand at rebuilding the old one, I think it's coming out looking a lot better then I expected.

I was able to salvage the laser cut struts that came from All-E-RC, I got a new wing kit, and tail feathers, and went to work, gluing, painting, sanding, ect, ect, ect, here's where I'm at now, it's almost done.

Stuart
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Jun 17, 2006, 04:04 AM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,387 Posts
Congratulations SL. She looks great! Can't wait for a flight report.

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Jun 17, 2006, 08:16 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Hey Stu, looks good buddy! I can't wait to see it back in the air! I was at the Cracker Barrel a couple of weeks ago and saw all of the John Deere items and thought about how you were doing. Glad to see all is well.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 08:54 AM
rab
----***----
Arlington, Virginia
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
Stuart, your repair is going to come out looking way better than mine and I'll bet you don't end up adding much if any weight.

Moose and Squirrel have been been involved in may incidents, mostly getting stuck in trees ten to twenty feet from the ground. The bottom wing has broken on both sides more than four times each side. And the fuselage has broken in two at least three times. Often I returned home thinking it was hopeless. But after a few hours or days it would occur to me how to glue it back together. It has gained about an ounce from the extra glue and tape, it is about 9 oz now.

Did I mention that Moose has had an antler transplant, his original antler was pink foam, this one is blue.

Yesterday was ideal for Moose and Squirrel, they flew twice, first flight 25 minutes at 5 feet up (I like doing flybys at about eye level) and later for another 20 minutes somewhat higher (we won't quite say how high so as not to embarrass Buzzes moth.)

Allen
rab is offline Find More Posts by rab
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:28 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab
Stuart, your repair is going to come out looking way better than mine and I'll bet you don't end up adding much if any weight.

Moose and Squirrel have been been involved in may incidents, mostly getting stuck in trees ten to twenty feet from the ground. The bottom wing has broken on both sides more than four times each side. And the fuselage has broken in two at least three times. Often I returned home thinking it was hopeless. But after a few hours or days it would occur to me how to glue it back together. It has gained about an ounce from the extra glue and tape, it is about 9 oz now.

Did I mention that Moose has had an antler transplant, his original antler was pink foam, this one is blue.

Yesterday was ideal for Moose and Squirrel, they flew twice, first flight 25 minutes at 5 feet up (I like doing flybys at about eye level) and later for another 20 minutes somewhat higher (we won't quite say how high so as not to embarrass Buzzes moth.)

Allen
Heh Heh Heh.... my moth is yearning to be flown. I've got to get someone with a video camera to go with me so you can all see it for yourselves. Allen, if you like to fly low and slow.... this is the plane for you!
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:40 PM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Tampa, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
More off Topic Crapola

Just dropping in to say HI and no I have not sold all the RC gear.
I've been wanting to get out to SCF with the gang; Wayne, Chukie and Co. but between car gas and avgas prices I kinda gotta budget.

Cheers to all.

Luis~

ps I can just hear you laughing Chukie: no, I did not have a choice in Cockpit colors. Although I did in shirts. ROTFLMAO
dulcelife is offline Find More Posts by dulcelife