HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:57 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
10,133 Posts
That's good work, Teor! Anything you and Corey .... and the rest of us .. can show kids fun ways to occupy their time is a definite step in the right direction. I had to go before the city commission to ask for permission to fly in the community gym. They were concerned we would hurt someone. I brought my Picoo Z with me and the chairman asked to see an example of what we were flying. So, I took off ... flew over the crowd in the meeting room.... bounced off the ceiling, ran into myself and then flew it over and landed it on commissioner's table. I had them rolling on the floor. We now fly in the gym all we want!
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:03 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
Concerning high altitude Moth flying.......

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=186

Ahem......ahem........

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:20 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Concerning high altitude Moth flying.......

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=186

Ahem......ahem........

RD
It plots the altitude???
Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:43 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
It plots the altitude???
Yep. One of our sailplane fliers has a similar device, and it records both altitude, motor amps, and specific altitudes that you can "lock in" for a matter of record. You download the data to a notebook computer and the associated software allows you to plot the various parameters.

The How High altimeter is considerably less sophisticated and less expensive. However, you can "lock in" or "capture" specific altitudes if you have an available channel on the Rx with which to do this.

I understand that Eagle systems (name??) has an even more comprehensive data logging system, with very impressive readback/display software, but it might be too much for the Moth to carry. This Zlog set up, as shown in the example, is really quite amazing in that it can be installed in the Moth without any significant weight penalty. Combine that with a good mini-cam system, and the Moth now can serve as an aerial photo platform. Love to get a view of what it looks like at 1500 feet above my Aerodrome!!

RD

PS: Don't feel left out, Buzz. Your Moth could provide the very critical low altitude surveillance work. You might consider the plane as the Macro Moth!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2007, 04:03 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
PS: Don't feel left out, Buzz. Your Moth could provide the very critical low altitude surveillance work. You might consider the plane as the Macro Moth!
Just wait! I'll show you a Moth that will go vertical out of sight! I just inventoried all the parts in my white pico moth... and when I get a set of suitable wings and a lexan rudder, the razor brushless goes in. No more Mr. Nice Guy!

Actually, I could use the 25ft. moth to photograph those really important ant hills and cracks in the road. There could be mini-terrorists in there!
Old Jan 24, 2007, 04:07 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
Quote:
No more Mr. Nice Guy! I could use the 25ft. moth to photograph those really important ant hills
You INSECT!!!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2007, 08:22 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Beautiful (short) flight today

I had a few minutes to fly my moth and took advantage of a rare bit of weather today; one of those winter afternoons when the sun is shining yet thereís snow in the air. Big soft flakes. Wind too, but I decided I should fly.

I tossed the moth into the breeze and blowing snow. Probably the most wind Iíve flown it in, so I kept it close and decided Iíd only stay up for ten minutes. (Also very cold and I was smart enough to remember gloves even though moving the sticks was a bit awkward.)

Hard to describe the sight, but I have to admit it was one of the most aesthetically pleasing experiences Iíve had in a long time. It was a great day to be looking at the sky anyway, but to see a nice looking airplane seeming to stand still in a galaxy of drifting snow flakes was fantastic. Combined with new snow on the field and the moths shadow scooting over, I wish there would have been a way to capture it on film. Besides the visual, there was no noise other than the motor and prop. The snow always seems to quiet the wind.

Kid of odd to have such an experience with a toy plane, but itís something Iíll remember for a long time.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:13 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,723 Posts
This morning was really nice too. I wanted to fly after I got the kids on the bus (to get video of the snow falling from the air). But I'm just too busy at work to get there even later than I already do. Only a few more weeks of crunch time though.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:32 AM
I think I can glue that..
Paris, Ontario, Canada EH
Joined Jul 2005
1,400 Posts
I actually got to fly my moth yesterday for about 10 minutes... it was more of a triming session. It turns out the aluminum GWS outrunner mount I am using is flexing even with gentle contact from me handling it..... I need to swap it for a plastic mount but after much tweaking ( a little more down... no too much now right thrust... a little more... got it) and a 1/4 ounce added to the nose and she flew just like her maiden very sweet with two wheels down landings.... last night I modified the battery hole to allow me to slide the batt further forward allowing me to remove the added weight... now I just have to mount the new motor mount and wait for the wind to stop again..... Minus 25 with the windchill here today.... thats -13 for those further south.
bob_suruncle is offline Find More Posts by bob_suruncle
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:48 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_suruncle
I actually got to fly my moth yesterday for about 10 minutes... it was more of a triming session. It turns out the aluminum GWS outrunner mount I am using is flexing even with gentle contact from me handling it..... I need to swap it for a plastic mount but after much tweaking ( a little more down... no too much now right thrust... a little more... got it) and a 1/4 ounce added to the nose and she flew just like her maiden very sweet with two wheels down landings.... last night I modified the battery hole to allow me to slide the batt further forward allowing me to remove the added weight... now I just have to mount the new motor mount and wait for the wind to stop again..... Minus 25 with the windchill here today.... thats -13 for those further south.
Hey, we have windchill down here! It's 58 with the windchill here today.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:34 PM
I think I can glue that..
Paris, Ontario, Canada EH
Joined Jul 2005
1,400 Posts
Quote:
Hey, we have windchill down here! It's 58 with the windchill here today.
Oh great here we go again with the smart guys down south at least my beer never gets warm
bob_suruncle is offline Find More Posts by bob_suruncle
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:28 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_suruncle
Oh great here we go again with the smart guys down south at least my beer never gets warm
Unless you have a Lucas refridgerator!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:08 PM
Crash tester
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
850 Posts
hey, it was in the 60's here today, with almost no wind. I took the whole day off to fly and got a bunch of long flights out of KB with her new motor and the wing repair. And I finaly figured out how to program diffirintial into a DX6, so her Sweet flying characteristics are amazingly further enhanced. I can hold her inverted now for as long as I can keep orintation.

Its one heck of a contrast, these Moths. I went from floating around the park at 4mph chasing ducks, to blasting through the air at 55+mph with my P47 chasing cars. I even got in a drag race with a Mercedes down a back street. despite all the speed, the Kitty Bug is still more fun.
Drunkskunk is offline Find More Posts by Drunkskunk
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:48 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
I am going to be a little quiet for the next couple of days guys. Time again for the Arizona Electric Fest. Whoot Whoot!!

BTW, the wife has cleared me for some planes, as long as they are Balsa. The only foamie she wants me to keep (and is willing to replace parts on) is my Moth, but it seems she is slightly partial to the Beaver as well...
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:05 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkskunk
hey, it was in the 60's here today, with almost no wind. I took the whole day off to fly and got a bunch of long flights out of KB with her new motor and the wing repair. And I finaly figured out how to program diffirintial into a DX6, so her Sweet flying characteristics are amazingly further enhanced. I can hold her inverted now for as long as I can keep orintation.
What sort of differential (and how much) did you program in for the KB?

Doug
elsyr is offline Find More Posts by elsyr