HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2006, 04:53 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntstringflier
I too picked up an "air hogs aero ace" and flew it yesterday for the first time. Durable little thing. Is there a web site for mods on it? Mine doesn't seem very stable in the air--it "porpoises" up and down, constantly changing pitch. I tried a bit of nose weight, and bending the tail down but it still climbs and stalls. Also rocks from side to side. The power is great, but if it were just a bit more stable it would be much more fun. I didn't put on the decals, or sand off the bumps on the wing--are they there to cause turbulance? The wing TE looks awfully thick--has anyone sharpened it?
Pico Moth # 1 crashed again yesterday, with the cadet at the sticks. It needed a new motor stick anyway--the original was getting pretty old. 3DTM is almost done--just need to solder some wires on to extend the aileron servo leads. I'm going to use a 6 ch Rx and see If I can get a little flap action (maybe 2 degrees?) going for slow flight.

Throttle, throttle, throttle.

cut back on the Juice till she flies level...

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2006, 08:18 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntstringflier
I too picked up an "air hogs aero ace" and flew it yesterday for the first time. Durable little thing. Is there a web site for mods on it? Mine doesn't seem very stable in the air--it "porpoises" up and down, constantly changing pitch. I tried a bit of nose weight, and bending the tail down but it still climbs and stalls. Also rocks from side to side. The power is great, but if it were just a bit more stable it would be much more fun. I didn't put on the decals, or sand off the bumps on the wing--are they there to cause turbulance? The wing TE looks awfully thick--has anyone sharpened it?
A little more nose weight should help, mine has a dime stuck into the bottom of the nose and it flies pretty smooth, and does not porpoise.
Removing the spring from the throttle really helps too.

Some of the mods can be found here:

http://www.aeroacemods.com/aam/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401484
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460819

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444953

Or do a search for aeroace and you'll come up with a lot more ideas.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jun 12, 2006, 03:36 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWarriorBelgy
Get a Moth

if we have to explain it.....you still wouldn't understand
It's true. If you haven't flown one yet, you couldn't possibly know how addictive the Tiger Moth is. Hundreds of mods, paint jobs, tech tips.... you name it.
Go get a tiger moth. Build it AFTER you read through all of the mods and additions to make it look and fly better. Then you'll be a real "Moth-er".
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Jun 12, 2006, 03:51 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase
A little more nose weight should help, mine has a dime stuck into the bottom of the nose and it flies pretty smooth, and does not porpoise.
Removing the spring from the throttle really helps too.

Some of the mods can be found here:

http://www.aeroacemods.com/aam/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401484
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460819

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444953

Or do a search for aeroace and you'll come up with a lot more ideas.
Adding weight to an Aero Ace? It is made to porpoise, especially into the wind at full throttle. Each porpoise is a step higher. The throttle spring mod is great too. If you take the bottom wing off.... just pull it and the struts off gently, you can stick them back on..... you will notice a radical difference in performance. It flies about twice as fast and climbs like a rocket.
I toss my hard, straight up and it will do a double loop if there is enough wind.
Then, I clipped 1.5" off the top wing. It needs about a 40 foot straight run to gain altitude but once it is up there it is a rocket. Full left or right will cause it to go into a screaming spinning dive. Just let go of the sticks and it will pull itself out. I don't advise taking that much off the top wing though. It takes a good breeze and a lot of room. If you go into the mod forums for these things, I hope you can read wave equations and keep up with all of the chatter about reprogramming transisters and programming mofsets.

I walk out the door, toss the AA and fly at over 100 ft every night before dinner. The Aero Ace reminds me a bit of the Tiger Moth in that it is totally addictive once you get into it. I have 5 of them!!! (well, one is 75 ft. up in a tree and dead with all of the rain we've had) Toys R Us said if I brought them the plane... they would exhange it. So, when the weather clears up, I'll get out the .20ga shotgun again and blow the limbs off the tree.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Jun 12, 2006, 04:10 PM
Your INVERTED!
United States, OK, Coweta
Joined Jul 2005
640 Posts
I love the Aero Ace! I added some lead to the nose and it flies MUCH better.....Level with less than half throttle! Climbs under full power. Before it just sorta flew around nose high, now it really flies like a normal plane, and with good elevator/speed control.

My Tiger Moth maidened this AM. 3 flights so far, 2 landings, and one crash into a board fence! Wasn't too bad, its ready to fly again. Hoping for less rain and wind for my next flights!
w0ace is offline Find More Posts by w0ace
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 16.5% J-3 Cub
Old Jun 12, 2006, 05:51 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Yay, congrats on the maiden Ace!

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2005
86 Posts
So whats with all the stuff on the airo ace thing........the Tiger moth is what I like. really neat looking plane.
Puke Master is offline Find More Posts by Puke Master
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:22 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Ace, more congratulations on the successful maiden.

Buzz, I don't know what to say. You're really a rebel. Low flying moths and altitude record Aero Aces? Isn't it supposed to be the other way round? Like w0ace said, as well as lots of folks in the mod forums, the nose weight really makes it fly more like a real plane, gets rid of the porpoising and it will still climb as far as you want. Maybe not as fast tho. I kinda like mine extra slow and smooth for flying in the backyard, in tight spots it still seems fast enough to get into trouble. Also spend a lot of time flying it in low and close at the flying field. Loads of fun to buzz by peoples heads while they're trying to fly real planes. We've tried to do combat with three in the air at once and haven't had a hit yet, just some close calls. Not counting the hits on people or other pilots of course. Last week Chuck was flying my AA and came within reach of another pilot and he swatted it out of the air like a fly. Gotta admit, no matter what you do with these little guys they are a ton of fun.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:48 PM
www.frappr.com/tigermoth
france
Joined Apr 2004
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
If you take the bottom wing off.... just pull it and the struts off gently, you can stick them back on..... you will notice a radical difference in performance. It flies about twice as fast and climbs like a rocket.
hi buzz
can you explain how this "wing stick back on" induces such a behavior improvement ?
thanks
anthony
PS i know it's off topic, but buzz please PM me if you think it's preferable ..
selector is offline Find More Posts by selector
Old Jun 13, 2006, 01:24 PM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Thanks

Boomer, Captain Carnage (Chuck), Basketcase, Buzz, and Ace,
Thank you all for the tips and links on the Aero Ace. Too bad we didn't have toys like this and the PTM when I was a kid. Now I have to look too hard to find time to play. But at least I don't have to drive far to find room enough to fly. Will post some pictures of the 3D Tiger Moth when it's getting to be maiden flight time. Hopefully soon. Thanks again.
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
Old Jun 14, 2006, 09:04 PM
Brentwood,TN
Joined Mar 2001
489 Posts
Float Fun

Tired of flying with wheels, and since there are plenty of ponds up here in Upstate New York, I thought it was about time to try out float flying. What great fun. Floats are scratch built using 3 mm depron and carbon fiber. They attach directly to the wheel spindles and rubber band on the back wing dowel. To switch back to wheels takes all of 2 minutes. Another new aspect of RC flight I am glad to have experienced. A few pics.......
jhas is offline Find More Posts by jhas
Old Jun 14, 2006, 09:42 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
That's beautiful jhas! As soon as I get a decent weekend day I'll be doing the same with my moth off the lake at my mom's cottage! Yeeha!

Kitty
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old Jun 14, 2006, 09:47 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Apr 2006
1,167 Posts
Has anybondy tried one of the GWS outrunners yet? I have the 2205-15T on order. I have been flying a Feigo in my stock IPS drive for a couple of years now. I thought it would be nice to have it a little quieter by changing over to an outrunner. The Feigo on a 3s 700mah lipo has almost vertical performance (not that I do that much) and I get a good 30min of flight time when just cruising around.

I forgot to mention that this is for the GWS pico Tigermoth. THX!
flynfrfun is offline Find More Posts by flynfrfun
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:58 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
flynfrfun
When they first came out I mounted one on a Pico TM for a friend and he's been flying it with GWS DD 9x4 and a 2s 900 pack. Worked out pretty well and no problems after many flights.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:34 AM
Seattle, WA
Joined Apr 2006
1,167 Posts
Thanks KLH, I plan on running mine on 2s lipos also. According to the motor's specs, it is not made for 3s unless you were to use an extra small prop. So, I plan on using a GWS 8x4 prop on it with a 2s lipo. I bet your friend can fly for a good 35-40min on 900mah! I love my little TM, I have a lot of flights on it and (knock on wood) haven't crashed it yet. I haven't done any mods other than reinforce the struts with balsa, the Feigo motor & foam wheels. I like to cruise around at just enough power to keep her in the air on calm evenings. But, I thought it would be even better with a little less noise which is why I am going to try the GWS outrunner. The IPS gearbox makes a fair amount of noise at certain rpms, and I want to keep it as quiet as possible for my neighbors. I don't want/need tons of climb performance. I found that 3s on the Feigo was just too much and at higher throttle settings the TM just doesn't fly nice. Besides, I can't pass up the chance to try it for only $13.99 from Tower Hobbies.
flynfrfun is offline Find More Posts by flynfrfun