SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 02, 2006, 08:43 PM
rab
----***----
Arlington, Virginia
Joined Aug 2004
702 Posts
Hi, I run about the same set up as Wayne (my battery is a 2s 700). This morning the air was still here, so I spent a lot of time flying slow, low and close. Slow - I could out run it, low - below ten feet, and close - five to twenty yards. I also find it fun to spiral up higher than the lights at baseball field I fly from and then glide back down to try to land just in front of myself.

Allen
rab is offline Find More Posts by rab
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2006, 11:26 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab
Hi, I run about the same set up as Wayne (my battery is a 2s 700). This morning the air was still here, so I spent a lot of time flying slow, low and close. Slow - I could out run it, low - below ten feet, and close - five to twenty yards. I also find it fun to spiral up higher than the lights at baseball field I fly from and then glide back down to try to land just in front of myself.

Allen
Are those lights higher than 25ft?
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Jun 03, 2006, 11:28 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Hahahaahahahaha
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jun 03, 2006, 11:34 AM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
Had a nice afternoon with my brother and nepthews, I had taken the moth which is due for refit thanks to my melting faom paint job last year and my brother had brought down his petrol head buggy to tune up in this nice hot weather for his race tomorrow.

Had fun fun trying to fly the moth in a park with the usual tree traps but way to windy for a moth, quite good for practising control. At the end of the day one chipped tail feather which is being replaced anyway. not to happy with the missus as she took no pics of the moth but loads of my nepthews having a ball, and the only other stink to the day was some muppet was delibratley trying to interfere with my brothers car, had to call a holt to that activity due to saftey reasons, did'nt want to end up breaking some kids leg.
althulas is offline Find More Posts by althulas
Old Jun 03, 2006, 05:00 PM
rab
----***----
Arlington, Virginia
Joined Aug 2004
702 Posts
Sorry Buzz, I think those lights are above 25 feet. (I have run into one light pole close to the top, broke the motor stick had a lot of time to glide back down.)

Before I switched to the brushless diy motor I had a hard time gaining much altitude, by the time I had convinced the moth up to tree top height the battery was spent.

Allen
rab is offline Find More Posts by rab
Old Jun 04, 2006, 07:54 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Get High On Your Moth

OK Buzz, you forced my hand. I know you never really believed I flew my Moth waaaaaaaaaaaaay up there, as reported earlier. Well, I have now installed an altimeter that will verify the height(s), and I will post the results as soon as I can get in a flight. Picked up a tiny altimeter from Winged Shadow Systems www.WingedShadow.com and stuck it inside the Moth, with the LED indicator sticking out the side of the fuselage. The device weights about 2.5 grams, and draws power from an available channel in the receiver. I am using Chl 5 on the Naro 6 receiver. After a flight, and BEFORE powering down the receiver, you just wave your finger past the LED and then count the return flashes that will indicate maximum altitude attained during that flight. Example: 126 feet = Flash.....Flash, Flash......Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash.

So, scientific proof will hopefully be obtained to prove the ability of my Moth to really get up there!!

Here's the link to the supplier: www.WingedShadow.com

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jun 05, 2006, 01:16 AM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
GWS Tiger Moth Yellow

Got back yesterday from spending a week driving to the Air Force Academy to deliver a car for my son. Hard to believe he's finished 2 years there already. Helped him repair his tiger moth, which had taken a flight all by itself, right off the top of his bookcase when someone left the door and window wide open at the same time. Way too windy to try flying, but soon he will be home for a couple weeks leave.
Am building a flat winged 3D tiger moth--got her all hinged up and started putting some blue polyurethane stripes on her.
Found a new way to match the GWS yellow paint very closely. Took about 1 cc of Elmers white glue, thinned slightly with water, and stirred in 2 or 3 drops of yellow ink jet printer ink. Painted it on the hinge lines and rounded leading edges of the foam and it matched really well. The Elmers should give it a some resistance to those occasional raindrops here in the northwest. Also made some colored filler by adding some microballoons and yellow ink to unthinned elmers white glue.
The new 3D pico moth should have really good vertical capability--the motor draws just under 10 amps with a 9x7 prop on a 3 cell 1250mAH Lipo.
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
Old Jun 05, 2006, 02:48 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntstringflier
Found a new way to match the GWS yellow paint very closely. Took about 1 cc of Elmers white glue, thinned slightly with water, and stirred in 2 or 3 drops of yellow ink jet printer ink. Painted it on the hinge lines and rounded leading edges of the foam and it matched really well. The Elmers should give it a some resistance to those occasional raindrops here in the northwest. Also made some colored filler by adding some microballoons and yellow ink to unthinned elmers white glue.
Awesome Idea. My paint matching didn't come out as nice, but it was close. Atleast in the air you won't be able to tell the difference. I am lucky that the Moth doesn't really need it, but my J3-F did, now it is kinda two tone yellow, LOL. I'll give the yellow ink & elmers a try next time I need to fill something in.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jun 05, 2006, 09:59 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
OK Buzz, you forced my hand. I know you never really believed I flew my Moth waaaaaaaaaaaaay up there, as reported earlier. Well, I have now installed an altimeter that will verify the height(s), and I will post the results as soon as I can get in a flight. Picked up a tiny altimeter from Winged Shadow Systems www.WingedShadow.com and stuck it inside the Moth, with the LED indicator sticking out the side of the fuselage. The device weights about 2.5 grams, and draws power from an available channel in the receiver. I am using Chl 5 on the Naro 6 receiver. After a flight, and BEFORE powering down the receiver, you just wave your finger past the LED and then count the return flashes that will indicate maximum altitude attained during that flight. Example: 126 feet = Flash.....Flash, Flash......Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash.

So, scientific proof will hopefully be obtained to prove the ability of my Moth to really get up there!!

Here's the link to the supplier: www.WingedShadow.com

RD
Oh, sure! Now you want to rub it in, eh? I'm not spending my money on that thing. It doesn't even register until you're above FIFTY FEET!!!! Why don't they make one that starts at ONE foot!!?

Seriously, that is a pretty cool gadget. Just wait 'til I build my white Pico Moth with the outrunner I got from Wes. Doug, don't lose your plane up there trying to imress me!
Old Jun 05, 2006, 01:32 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
It doesn't even register until you're above FIFTY FEET!!!! Why don't they make one that starts at ONE foot!!?
You can buy it with the optional 51 foot ladder!!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2006, 02:57 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
You can buy it with the optional 51 foot ladder!!

RD
LMAO!!!! So, it would register a false 51ft. on the altimeter and then go back down to 25ft. Maybe less with another 2.5 grams of weight added.
Old Jun 05, 2006, 06:44 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
It's supposed to read AGL (above ground level) so I assume the mini barometer takes a reading at ground level or the level at which the plane is launched. Then, as higher altitudes are reached, the barametric pressure will get slightly less. The difference will be the AGL and "flashed" accordingly. Won't know until I fly her!!

If it works out, I will consider one for TM #2, and install the LED right thru the instrument panel, after pasting the display on first. Would look rather neat!!

Happy Moth'ing.

RDS
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2006, 12:29 AM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Finally maidened my Pico-Moth today...Success!!! It was too windy to tell if it was balanced correcly because of the wind but it flew well considering. I'll have to figure out a good paint scheme, I am leaning for the Camo-Moth look. Thanks to all for their suggestions on this forum.
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
Old Jun 06, 2006, 03:06 AM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
Can't remember if anyone posted this link of resource http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...th/walk025.htm before but looks familiar, anyway a reminder if anything
althulas is offline Find More Posts by althulas
Old Jun 06, 2006, 09:18 AM
glue can fix anything
USA, GA, Stockbridge
Joined Mar 2006
174 Posts
As I read through the posts, with fond memorys of my TM. I recall breaking the 25' mark on it's 3rd and final flight. I hand launched it off of a 30' drop off. It climed out smartly (it had the 350 with a 6 cell 900mah nmh) after climbing a good 10 ' it cleared the drop off. So, there you go, not a calculated 40' but it's right close. Thats when the elevator servo came loose and the first TM outside loop followed by some inverted flight straight into the cliff wall. 20' worth of rolls and loops down the drop off and I now have a GWS 350 in a Bird Dog. There will be another TM in my life, I just have to learn how to fly close to the ground first.
mjljr is offline Find More Posts by mjljr