HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2006, 06:08 PM
PA
Joined Dec 2003
2,275 Posts
New Product
Supra booms, BubbleDancer booms and DLG booms

Guys

I am happy to announce that the first shipment of Supra booms is now in stock at Polecat Aero. Construction is per Dr. Drela's instructions of prepreg carbon and bias glass. Weight is 58 grams. 36" long, ID is .760 big end, .415 small end and solid as a rock.

A bunch of you have e-mailed over the past few months asking about these and there was a list of interested folks. A computer crash a couple of weeks ago wiped out the list and sales will be on a first come, first served basis. I apologize for that but it has been an "interesting" few months to say the least. They are $37 each and shipping is $8 for one or a few.

BubbleDancer booms are also in good supply at $32 each. Same specs but weight 38 grams. They are $32 each.

DLG booms are now in very good supply at $25 each.

The first shipment of Supras will sell out very quickly but the supplier promises a shipment bi-weekly.

Thanks for looking
Denny Maize
Polecat Aero
dennymaize is offline Find More Posts by dennymaize
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2006, 06:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2004
322 Posts
Denny,

I need a Supra Boom, just let me know how and where to pay for it, Credit Card, Cashiers Check, or whatever. I will get the payment in the mail immediately. Are these on your web site yet?

Rex Burton
Treasurer
Kansas City Soaring & Electric
soarcat is offline Find More Posts by soarcat
Old Apr 27, 2006, 08:16 PM
PA
Joined Dec 2003
2,275 Posts
Rex

Ben is out of town for work this week so the website may not catch up till next week.
You can either call with a cc, use paypal or send check, whatever.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:03 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2003
493 Posts
Supra booms

Will these booms fit the Terry Luckenbach Supra Fuse?
Hoot is online now Find More Posts by Hoot
Old Apr 28, 2006, 05:40 AM
PA
Joined Dec 2003
2,275 Posts
Hoot

I havn't seen one of Terry's fuses for the Supra. They do fit the Mike Lachowski fuse and anything designed to Mark's specs or plans. Do you know the dimensions needed?
Old Apr 28, 2006, 08:54 AM
Watervliet, Mich.
Joined Sep 2003
1,438 Posts
here's some sizes of the two measured at the very end of the pod.
yours may very a little, there a little out of round.
measurments where taken at the largest dia.

Mikes; O.D. .866 - I.D. .800
Terry's; O.D. .931 - I.D. .866

dh
dhauch is offline Find More Posts by dhauch
Old Apr 28, 2006, 05:18 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,259 Posts
I don't have one of the booms so I haven't checked the fit. The size is a little smaller than the Walba boom on diameter. But there should be no problem fitting in the larger Supra pod. The F3b pod might be a little loose on the fit since it was originally designed for a thicker layup boom that doesn't bend. So it might need a wrap or two of glass to fit that pod.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Apr 28, 2006, 05:38 PM
Watervliet, Mich.
Joined Sep 2003
1,438 Posts
seems like Terry said that he made his fuse to fit either booms.
his will go on the outside of fuse , and the smaller tapered boom will slide inside.

better double check with him first though.

dh
dhauch is offline Find More Posts by dhauch
Old Apr 28, 2006, 05:46 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,493 Posts
To fit the old Walba (tailboom.com) boom in Mike's fuselage required a couple things: You had to trim a bit off the back of the fuselage to get to a larger diameter. You then had to use a sanding rod to thin the aft end of the fuselage pod from the inside. After all this, the boom was a perfect fit with about 2 1/2" of boom inside the aft end of the fuselage and since the fuselage aft end was sanded so thin, there was only a small "step" from the fuse to the boom that needed fairing.

Based on Denny's measurements, it looks like the new boom is about 1/32" smaller diameter at both ends. I would expect that it will fit Mike's fuselage quite nicely. Probably you won't have to trim anything off the aft end of the fuselage to make the boom fit. Maybe the inside of the fuse will need to be sanded thin, maybe not. If the fuse aft end does not get trimmed then either there will be a longer coupling area between the boom and fuse (stronger) or the front of the boom can be trimmed off a bit (lighter).

The aft end of the boom is also about 1/32" smaller (I think). The V mount for the stabilizer was a perfect fit on the old boom or might even have been a bit tight at the spot where it needed to sit on the boom. With the new boom being a bit smaller in diameter, I would think the V mount would fit just fine, it certainly shouldn't be a tight fit.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old May 01, 2006, 04:04 PM
kak8
Joined Jun 2005
299 Posts
Where can I find some informations how to make a Supra tailboom?
kak8 is offline Find More Posts by kak8
Last edited by kak8; May 02, 2006 at 01:47 AM.
Old May 01, 2006, 06:00 PM
fullhouse newbie
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2004
435 Posts
The details of layup and fabrication are on the Charles River RC Supra page:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...supra.htm#boom

Paul
spatial is offline Find More Posts by spatial