SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 26, 2006, 08:52 PM
orlando, FL
Joined May 2004
284 Posts
Discussion
Free flight plans for small/med size model

Hello everyone! Some time ago I built some indoor rubber powered planes and building this is really an art! Right now i'm interested in something of simple construction and electric power but small and that can fly outdoors. lets say 24 inch wingspan as an aproximate wing size. Are there any plans online for such aircraft? I could design one if some measurements and sugestions come up. It could be something of a profile or stick fuse and of simple wing construction i want it mostly just for fun no competition or record breakers. Well guys thanks in advance for any sugestions!

Dan
Knife3dge is offline Find More Posts by Knife3dge
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:14 PM
Joined Oct 2004
147 Posts
Prairie Bird

Here's a good one. It's built up but you can change it any way you like. Go to the link below, scrool down till you see "The Praire Bird". It has the plan and article. I've built one and it flew great. I've even seen one electric with a motor and battery from the "Harbor Frieght" airplanes.

Good luck!

Tom

http://www.theplanpage.com/st.htm
buildawyvern is offline Find More Posts by buildawyvern
Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:59 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,421 Posts
The plan page is excellent. As well check out the downloadable plans at www.smallflyingarts.com . There's also a thread by me that has a construction article for a simple timer to control the run time of an electric motor in a thread around here.

And welcome back to the "serious" side of model building and flying...
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Apr 27, 2006, 06:32 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Try this based on the flying aces gas stick or try any of these Knife edge,Bruce
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/dbdesignbureau/plans.htm
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Apr 28, 2006 at 05:05 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 07:42 PM
orlando, FL
Joined May 2004
284 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies! In the mean time i kindda slaped this "mockup" together. Its just a representation i guess cause the wings are extremly heavy for the purpose at hand. They are solid balsa carved with an airfoil. These were included in a wood bundle i bought some time ago. I honestly dunno how any one could use them for a real flyer since the quality is pretty bad and the weight is not apropiate. But they served well to build a model i guess. Anyone have any sugestions on what to improve.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:36 PM
Joined Oct 2004
147 Posts
proportions......

Nice looking glider, good lines. See if it matches the proportions in the attached file of the link below. It's my reply to another design thread.

Good luck!

Tom

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510606
buildawyvern is offline Find More Posts by buildawyvern
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:37 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,421 Posts
That's a good start knifedge. There's nothing wrong with a properly done sheet wing but a heavy hand with the sanding block and starting with a light grade of wood is a good idea. There's been literally thousands of successful all balsa "chuckies" fly well and get lost in thermals so the style is certainly flyable.

As for your design I'm not sure why you opt for the pylon in this case. Other than for looks? Most all balsa chuckies just put the wing right onto the fuselage to keep the center of drag down closer to the true CG location. Also I'm thinking from the looks of things that the tail surfaces are a bit small. It'll fly as is but may not trim to an efficient final CG location.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Apr 29, 2006, 02:25 PM
orlando, FL
Joined May 2004
284 Posts
BMatthews,

I hear ya! The reason of the pylon is mostly for looks. But i was also thinking on stability since i'm planing on electrifying it with a small motor. The solid wing would probably be good but a ribed one would be even better since the wood that has the preshaped airfoil came in a wood bundle that wasn't of good quality. Last night I built something similar to a stick plane with the plans that somebody previously posted on this thread but boy indoor balsa sure makes a hell'uva difference. Hobby store balsa is of way inferior quality even though it'll work for bigger things.