Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:38 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
Build Log
Aerodrome RC 1/6th Scale 66" Fokker EIII Easy Build

Greetings All

Kurt at Aerodrome RC has recently released a kit of a 1/6th scale Fokker Eindecker EIII. He had previously released a design with undercambered wings and wire spoked wheels. He felt that a simpler, less complicated design might appeal to more people so he redesigned the EIII with a flat bottomed airfoiled wing to simplfy construction and covering and substituted his standard wheel design in place of the spoked wheels. He has asked if I would do a prototype build and I agreed to do so upon completion of the 1/6th scale SE5a I am currently working on.

I have started covering the SE5a with Polyspan. I have since run out and am waiting for a couple more rolls from Kurt so I decided to get started on the EIII.

The design follows Kurts well thought out and easy to build structures as done in his previous kits. Power will be an AXI 2826-10 (kit calls for a 2820 but I had a 2826 so I will use that) on a 3 cell LiPo pack. In reviewing the plans the only areas that show any degree of diffculty are the landing gear (made up of a number of pieces of bent up 3/32" and 1/8" music wire) and the stab/rudder hinge pivot areas. These will be covered in detail as we get to them.

I usually start withe the tail feathers but this time to be different I decided to start on the fuselage. The sides are made up of a laser cut piece of 3/16" balsa and a 1/32" ply doubler for the front and a stick built aft end from 3/16" square balsa. The first thing to do is to glue the doublers to the balsa sides (making sure to make one right and one left). When this is done the sides are pinned to the plan and the aft section is built using 3/16" balsa and 1/8" balsa for the diagonals.

Kurt includes laser cut pieces of 3/16" balsa and 1/8" balsa to make these parts. I had a fistful of 3/16" sq balsa in my wood stock so I used those. I did not have any 1/8" square balsa so I used some scrap pieces of 1/8" x 3/16" balsa I had laying around. The reason I did not use the laser cut pieces of 3/16" and 1/8" sq balsa Kurt had provided was due to the fact you need to glue several together to get the proper length. I was just lazy and decided to raid my wood stash.

I built the second side directly on top of the first to insure that they are identical. When completed, I sanded both sides smooth and checked all the glue joints and reglued as necessary.
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:42 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
The wings are built up on two carbon fiber or fiberglass 1/4" od tubes. I had some trouble locating carbon tubes so I purchased a number of 1/4" (.248" actual OD) fiberglass tubes from a kite shop. The tubes extend past the root rib of each panel and into the fuselage. The tubes are inserted into two 9/32' OD brass tubes that extend from fuselage side to fuselage side. Where the tubes glue into the fuselage sides there are plywood reinforcement rings glued in place on the inside of each fusleage side. There are two per side. I inserted a section of 9/32" brass tube into each hole as aguide andthen slid the reinforcement ring in place and glued it.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:45 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
The firewall consists of two pieces of 1/8" lite ply that are glued together. This was done using medium CA with carry taken to insure that the two parts are lined up correctly with each other.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:51 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
The landing gear on the EIII is an interesting puzzle of parts. I would recommend studying the plans carefully as it takes a bit of pondering to get the whole thing figured out. It consists on a main gear of 1/8" music wire and a number of supporting pieces of 3/32" music wire. Time to bug my buddy Ron who has the big K&S wire bender to get ready for some bending.

The 3/32" wire parts plug into 1/8" OD brass tubes that are epoxied in place in two LG mounts on the bottom of the fuselage. These are made up of several pieces of 1/8" lite ply and a section of 1/8" OD bras tube.

The rear mount consists of three pieces of lite ply and the brass tube. The two smaller pieces are glued to the larger one separated by 1/8" (use a piece of 1/8" music wire or brass tube as a spacer to get the pieces located properly). When the pieces are glued, the 1/8" OD brass tube is cut to length and epoxied in place.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:58 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
The front landing gear mount is made up in a similar fashion as the rear with an interesting twist. The lower section consists of three pieces of 1/8" lite ply and a length of 1/8" od bras tube. It is glued up in the same manner and the tube epoxied in place. The top side of this mount also has a lite ply structure to hold the main 1/8" music wire gear. It consists of one piece of 1/8" lite ply that is glued to the top sode of the front mount, two pieces of 1/8" square lite ply to form a channel and a top piece of 1/8" lite ply.

The two pieces of 1/8" square lite ply are glued to the piece on the top side of the mount spaced apart 1/8" (use a piece of music wire or brass tube as described previously as a spacer. The landing gear will then be epoxied in palce and the 1/8" lite ply cap added and the whole shebang is then glued into the fuselage. It has to be done in this order since once the mount is glued into the fuselage you can not get the gear wire in place. It has to be in place before the mount is glued into the fuselage.

As I did not have the landing gear wires bent up yet I will be adding this mount later, after I get the wire bent up.
Last edited by Brian Allen; Apr 29, 2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:00 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
The rigging wire pylon mount is made from two pieces of 1/8" lite ply that are glued together.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:01 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
So far this is about 1 1/2 hours worth of work. Things are going very smoothly and I hope to have much of the basic fuselage structure done tomorrow. My work on this will probably be a little hit and miss depending on how work goes on the SE5a and when I get the rolls of Polyspan to continue covering.

As usual, if anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free to chime in.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Last edited by Brian Allen; Apr 27, 2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:14 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
Greetings All

Had a few spare minutes this evening so I decided to work on the fuselage a bit more. So far this has been one of the easiest fuselage assemblies I have done in a long while.

After glueing up the firewall it is time to get the front section of the fuselage assembled. The firewall and formers F3 and F4 are all the same width. So I laid the right fusleage side on the bench and glued the firewall assembly and former F3 in placeafter checking to see they were perpendicular and square to the fuselage side. After that, the bottom former F4 is glued in place. This former goes from the rear landing gear block to F3. Once these parts are glued in place the left side in placed on the fuselage assembly, checked everything nine ways to Sunday to make sure all was aligned properly and glued it up.
Last edited by Brian Allen; Apr 29, 2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:17 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
After the two fuselage sides are glued together I added some 3/8" triangle stock to the firewall/fuselage side joint to reinforce this area.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:23 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
The rear landing gear block assembly is glued in place next, making sure it is even and level with former F4. 3/8" balsa triangle stock is added on the inside to reinforce this area.

Note that I have glued the block in backwards, the wide piece on the bottom should be facing the rear, not the front. This is not a real problem as I will just have to readjust the wire parts of the landing gear a bit. Watch the orientation of the LG block so you do not make this mistake. Gotta pay attention and stop watching the History Channel while I build!!
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:25 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
The two formers F2 and the laminated ply pylon support are next glued in place on the top side of the fuselage in their respective notches.
Last edited by Brian Allen; Apr 28, 2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:27 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
Well we are at a break point now so I can do some laundry.

I have placed the plan sheet with the top view on the building board and pinned the fuselage down to it. The next step is to cut all the 3/16" sq cross pieces and glue them and formers F6 and F7 in place. Total time is about three hours of on again off again building while watching the History Channel.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Last edited by Brian Allen; Apr 29, 2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:35 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
While sorting through the sheets of laser cut parts I noted that I had a second F4. After wondering for a short while why there were two of them I looked at the plans and saw that the second one gets installed on the top of the fuselage. Always pays to look closely at the plans.

I have thus glued the second F4 in place on the top of the fuselage.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:41 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
The back end of the fuselage is then put together using sections of 3/16" sq balsa sticks cut to length. I used several T squares to locate the sides properly over the top view of the plans and to insure that the sides were perpendicular to the building board. After the 3/16" sq sticks are in place, formers F6 and F7 are glued in place. F6 is glued on the bottom side of the fuselage while the two F7's are glued on the top and bottom side.
Last edited by Brian Allen; Apr 29, 2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:43 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
Upon completion of the fuselage rear area I decided it was a tad bit whippy. I installed some diagonals on the top and bottom sides using a piece of soft 1/8" x 3/16" balsa to help stiffen up the rear of the fuselage. Very effective.