HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2002, 04:09 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Torn Between Electric and Glow

How do I get out of my slimers (Glow Powered Airplanes)? I have two beautiful airplanes I built from a kit. One is a Goldberg Tiger 2 and the other is a Tower Kaos pattern ship. I just can't sell these because I put my heart and sole into them. I would like to fly electric only airplanes, but just can't seem to give up my slimers. Im torn between electric and glow. I guess I will fly my glow airplanes until I crash them, (Which a I seldom do and then sell the Radios and Engines. The glow Pilots are really impress with my Crazy max. Wait tell I get my Wattage F-22 flying. I will show them what an Electric Jet can do.

Thanks for listening.
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2002, 04:15 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Why does it have to be one or the other? Do whatever makes you happy
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jul 10, 2002, 04:21 PM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
Tres is right, there is no reason to give up one for the other. I flew glow-planes for a few years before I tried electrics. I still dig one out once in while.

Honestly, I think the whole arguement between which is better between electrics or glow is a crock. It shouldn't matter what you fly, the important thing is that you do....
mefly2 is offline Find More Posts by mefly2
Old Jul 10, 2002, 04:23 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
I have to drive 20 miles to the Glow flying field. Im tired of fussing with fuel. Im tired of fussing with Glow engines. Always running rich or lean. I never can get it exactly right. I have been flying glow for 3 years. I hate dead stick landings. I fly my park flyers at a Farm across the street from my house. Never had a dead stick with a Park flyer. If I didn't have these two beautiful airplanes I would be flying electric only.
Last edited by fly4fun; Jul 10, 2002 at 04:28 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 04:27 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
I didn't want to make this a debate of what is better Electric or Glow. What ever floats your boat or tickle your fancy.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 04:29 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
I see no reason not to fly both. I do and each for their own reasons.
Don't underestimate the advantages of flying with other guys.

I too drive about 20 miles each way to the field twice each weekend, and wouldn't trade it for anything.... then again putting in a flight after work ( or even at work) is just an added bonus. And when you want to get into larger electric, yep probably back to the field.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jul 10, 2002, 04:37 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==How do I get out of my slimers (Glow Powered Airplanes)? ==

==Im tired of fussing with fuel. Im tired of fussing with Glow engines. ==

==I didn't want to make this a debate of what is better Electric or Glow. ==

Just to clarify, are you looking for some kind of feedback from us or you just want to vent some frustration? Venting is fine, just want to be clear. But you asked a question and you seem to have already made up your mind about flying glow.

Personally I've never flown glow in my life, so I can't really relate the pros and cons. However, I am in a similar boat as you in that I have several electric (and non-e) sailplanes that I built and flew many years ago. I don't have the heart to part with them, but I never fly them either!
Old Jul 10, 2002, 04:41 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Sorry I guess Im just venting and seeing if others are in the same situation. Im not really looking for much advise. Thanks for the replies.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 04:51 PM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
Quote:
I have to drive 20 miles to the Glow flying field. Im tired of fussing with fuel. Im tired of fussing with Glow engines. Always running rich or lean. I never can get it exactly right. I have been flying glow for 3 years. I hate dead stick landings. I fly my park flyers at a Farm across the street from my house. Never had a dead stick with a Park flyer. If I didn't have these two beautiful airplanes I would be flying electric only.
YUP! Sounds to me like you've already decided.

I don't really have the place for flying bigger planes...the best runway I have is 10ft. wide with trees on both sides, and the closest club field is 30 miles away and filled with snobs that think thier s*i* doesn't stink, but I still manage.

Sounds to me your sick of glow...so sell them and get it over with. I know it's hard to get rid of something that you are proud of...my very first scratchbuilt plane was going to be my R/C trainer...to this day I still haven't flown it, and I think it is because I'm scared to crash it... .
mefly2 is offline Find More Posts by mefly2
Old Jul 10, 2002, 04:53 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I flew both "fuels" simultaneously for several years - smaller, lower performance models were electrics, the real kick-donkey stuff was glow powered.

When I finally got to KRC and saw Keith Shaw flying turnaround aerobatics with a five foot scale model, I went home, took out a second mortgage and went straight from a tolerable 10 cell brushed aerobatic-ish electric to a 20 cell brushless powered Four Star 40.

The glow models sort of rotted away for a while after that, but I have had no urge to get stinky or oily for about three years now. I occasionally threaten to get a baby pattern bird - something like a scale down FAI ship for a 46 - but it's mostly idle thinking, haven't actually done anything about it.

I was one of those irritating beggars who could start a glow engine by flopping the prop over with a pair of D cells hooked up to the plug by a converted clothespin too , so can't even claim glow power as too much fuss.

Fly what the heck you fancy. Either of your two models has probably got the edge on my Ex-GP CAP 232 for a lower start out cost (my per flight costs are probably lower though ). Take the slimer out the Tiger and rig it with a good brushless rig - 16 - 20 cells, you'll probably not find it that much different. Fly your baby electrics in the local park, if the anti-fun police will let you.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 10, 2002, 04:54 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Sell them. I just can't seem to do it.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 05:09 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==Sorry I guess Im just venting==

No need to be sorry, we love to vent around here! Let it out!

Hey, you love the planes, I say hang onto them. Enjoy the electrics and go fly those glow beasts if you get the urge You get the best of both worlds. If you don't fly them for a couple of months or even years, then maybe you'll be more prepared to part with them. But I've got one plane I built 12 years ago, and I STILL don't want to get rid of it! I keep thinking maybe someday I'll fly those old planes again....

Dereck-
==and went straight from a tolerable 10 cell brushed aerobatic-ish electric to a 20 cell brushless powered Four Star 40==

Yeow! I'd love to see something like that fly, one of these days I need to go to one of the BIG meets!
Old Jul 10, 2002, 05:28 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
Why not just keep them but put them in storage?

Either in a really safe spot out of the way like an attic or better yet hanging from the ceiling in your workshop where you can admire them.

Years from now you may be glad you kept them and in good working condition.

If theres anything I've learned in my 35 years is that I have no idea what I'll like or want 5 years in the future.

Dean in Milwaukee
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Jul 10, 2002, 06:18 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Why not just keep 'em and convert 'em to electric?

You might not be able to call it a parkflyer but with the proper motor and batteries almost anything can fly with electric.

A couple of guys at the park I fly at have Aveox and MaxCim powered planes that the .60 glow Sig Senior that flies there can't keep up with. (I know, it's a only a Senior)

One of the guys is in the process of converting a Thunder Tiger Lazy 51 (.60 size) to electric. To run on an Aveox and 12 4/5 C cells.

Check these out:

The first is about 60" wingspan, flies with a MaxCim and 10 Sub C cells.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jul 10, 2002, 06:20 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
The second is about 54" wingspan and powered by Aveox.

Owned by Dave
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase