HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by sectrix, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:21 AM
The cake is a lie
G. Heights, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
67 Posts
Discussion
Packages and the holes in p-type material

Ugh. UPS is not a great job. Let me rephrase that. In some ways it's a great job, in most others it is deplorable. I'll start with what I like. Medical benefits and tuition reimbursment right off the bat. Fairly high starting pay, considering the only prerequisite is you graduated highschool. Internal promotions always take precidence. Free poptarts and rice crispies treats on Friday. But, otherwise this job sucks. I start at 4 AM and continuously move usually heavy packages for five hours. I get yelled at when a supervisor tells me to do the wrong thing(but I'm always thanked at the end of the day....wierd). It gets friggin hot. I make barely enough money to stay afloat, much less expand into this FPV airplane project, or my other projects. I still have yet to repair the Firebird, and thats hardly expensive at all. I really need some flight hours under my belt, and I cant fly. I cant even get a RC flight simulator for my Macintosh because one doesn't exist (barring Helis). So, I decided to get a second job. Without it, it would take months to save enough money to fix the Firebird. And after I master this, I want to get a gas trainer kit, and a good set of electronics. Right there is something like $400. Soon, in order to advance any longer in my study of electronics, I'll need to get test equipment. At least an oscilloscope and signal generator. Maybe even a frequency analyzer since I want to try and design the radio controls for my plane. That's all a lot of money, at least $1000 for decent equipment. Not to mention electrical components, engines for the plane, building materials, etc. This project will take years at this kind of funding level. An extra job will hopefully offset that. Thankfully, one happened to land in my lap. Its a job at the local Dave and Busters. It's easy sit down work and I can listen to music. Pays better than UPS, but I only work 3 days a week. My problem is how to fit this into school in the fall. I got this through a friend, so I dont want to work for just 3 months and quit, and besides, I need the extra money. Hopefully I'll be able to work two part time jobs and go to school for at least a semester. In any case, at the moment I have abondoned the Floyds Electronics text book in favor of something newer. This new book is by Albert Malvino, called 'Principles of Electronics'. It has a more semi-conductor oriented approach, and assumes you know basic AC/DC analysis. It was published in '99 so it is a bit more up to date. Even The Art of Electronics is 17 years old.
sectrix is offline Find More Posts by sectrix
to remove ads between posts