SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 09, 2002, 09:26 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,563 Posts
Goodby, TM, hello, Pitts! Gotta love this little Bipe.

Well, I packed up the Pitts, grabbed a charged QC, and took off to my favorite tallgrass field for the maiden flight of the Pitts.

I put a new TM motor in it instead of the geared 370 that came with it, so I could use the QC batts, and to save about 2-1/2 ounces of weight.
I set the dual rate down REAL low in case she was twitchy, and it later was my downfall.
Got to the field and walked out into the tall grass so that any hard landings would be softened, which was a good idea. For the first flight I shoved the battery all the way to the nose, figuring that the stock motor weighs so much more than the DX, and the QC is light, that I would need the weight in the front.
I throttled up and gave it a toss. Off she went, had to trim up a lot of elevator. I flew a couple of lazy circles, but I could tell it was nose heavy, so I brought it down in the grass. I don't have a good landing strip, all I have is an adjacent bank parking lot. I moved the batt back about a half inch and away we go again. Better, but still nose heavy. Moved the batt all the way back on the tray and re-launched. Hey, this is OK. She took right off and flew nice and easy, much like the moth, but much more responsive. Did a few circles and figure 8's, there was no tendency to stall, I was surprised, then brought it down for a pretty hard landing in the short grass. Nothing hurt. I then grabbed a fresh QC and stuck it in, then off again. She climbed really nice, I flew it out and back, then flew it over my head, and lost track of it for a few seconds, and she was heading for the side of the hardware store next door. Since I had the aileron rate so low, I couldn't turn it in time and you guessed it. Right into the side of the building. This is one tough little plane . All that happened is that the cowling split at the glue seam, one wing strut popped off and two of the fuse/wing struts came loose. It's back together and the glue is drying as we speak.

All in all, I am really satisfied with this little plane. I fave a GWS 100 on order for more power and so I can use the QC's.

Couple building tips: Rough up the wings where the struts are joined and wipe the mold wax from the plastic moldings with alcohol before glueing. I have to run the Bobcat tomorrow, but I'll fly it again Thursday and be back with another report.

Get yourself one of these!

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Last edited by Chuck; Jul 09, 2002 at 09:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2002, 09:31 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Joined Dec 2001
4,563 Posts
First pic
Old Jul 09, 2002, 09:34 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Joined Dec 2001
4,563 Posts
The dreaded hardware store lurks hungrily in the background. It has already eaten my Sky Scooter. Now it's waiting for the Pitts.

Chuck
Old Jul 09, 2002, 09:36 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Joined Dec 2001
4,563 Posts
She sure looks good up in the air.

Chuck
Old Jul 09, 2002, 09:57 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Yes Chuck! Thanks for the flight report and pics! I broke down last night and ordered one. Please elaborate on the flight characteristics with the ips. What prop did you use? What was the climb rate and power as compared with the tigermoth? Did it glide well? Loop from level? Thanks man!
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Jul 09, 2002, 09:57 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Joined Dec 2001
4,563 Posts
One more
Old Jul 09, 2002, 10:13 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Joined Dec 2001
4,563 Posts
Spaulding,
It flys a little faster than the TM and is MUCH more responsive with the ailerons set at full throw. The prop is the GWS 9070. I have an 8060 on order to try, and I will try the 1047 next time out. I used full power all the time. The wing loading is more than the TM, so it isn't at all aerobatic with the IPS motor, but I didn't expect it to be. I wanted to get used to the plane in a lighter, gentler form. I haven't tried any ploops yet. When the GWS 100 gets in her, I hope it will be more aerobatic, and I will probably put in the stock 370 geared eventually. I am not real fond of folding props, and that's what comes with the motor, and HL doesn't respond to my email asking if they have a rigid prop for it(it's a reversed prop)

Good luck with yours.

Chuck
Old Jul 09, 2002, 10:30 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
that looks really sweet... any model stats? who makes/distributes it anyways? is it eps foam or depron skinned stuff?

cool plane...
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Jul 09, 2002, 10:47 PM
Joined Feb 2002
169 Posts
i like that bipe looks really nice maybe i should stop on some things and cut the grass for money and get one i like it i like it

Pablito
Pablito is offline Find More Posts by Pablito
Old Jul 09, 2002, 10:48 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Joined Dec 2001
4,563 Posts
Opualuan,
Hobby Lobby sells it, it's made of Depron sheet, and the finish is very nice, much better than my TM, since it's formed, not molded. Here's a link to the thread I started on building it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=48014

Chuck
Old Jul 09, 2002, 10:55 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Chuck: Once you have it set up for the EPS 100, it's a simple matter of plugging in the 300, on the same mount! (assuming appropriate esc and Battery) I'd worry about the stock power plant later, if it uses a bastard prop, maybe only good for a replacement motor...

Sounds like a winner!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jul 09, 2002, 11:47 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
The stock powerplant is the Potensky Pot 03 with a left turning prop(I believe). Draws 3A on 7cells, 5600rpm, 4.16:1, prop is a 225/105 folder, weight is 60.3g

HL says it's a 5:1 ratio so maybe they got a new setup from Potensky.

It's interesting, though that HL would use the Potensky motor. Potensky has their own little Pitts Special(Nobody in the US carries it - I've been checking for months)
Old Jul 10, 2002, 12:26 AM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
In case you haven't seen the video of this little gem yet:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/media/SIR...pecialCombo.rm
Old Jul 12, 2002, 07:40 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Joined Dec 2001
4,563 Posts
Spaulding

Here is the motor that came with mine

It's completely round, model is POT03B,
4.5A @6 cells, 5:1 gearing, 4800 rpm, prop is 190/150(roughly 7.5X5.9) or you might say 8X6. And it has a capacitor plate already attached.

It looks like we got 2 different power systems, huh? Also there is no indication of the polarity on the motor tabs, does yours have any?

The GWS dx motor just doesn't have the oomph for this plane, so I am going to put the stock motor in while I wait for the GWS 100. This little fella certainly doesn't float in for a landing, it comes in pretty hot, no powering off to land, it needs power on or it drops right on down.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 08:00 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
No Chuck, I don't have mine yet......I just assumed it would be that motor after looking at the three different options on the Potensky website. I think we got jipped because it sounds like the Pot-03 that I described would be a better setup and would have made it possible to use qualcomms(maybe). Mine should be here by Monday or Tuesday. If I don't like the stock setup I'll place an order for a dual IPS and try it. Hobbyclub sells the Pot-03 for $25 so I could try that.

It comes in hot? From the video I assumed it floated in on landings. Watch it again and tell me what you think. Maybe they were landing with quite a headwind.
Last edited by Spaulding; Jul 12, 2002 at 08:04 PM.