HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 02:32 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Gallery
Folland Gnat (70mm) by Robbe

Folland Gnat by Robbe ...

Kontronic Fun 480-33, Kontronic Smile esc, Schuebeler DS-30 carbon fan and PQ 4S 3100 Lipo. ca. 36 oz and 490 Watts ... about 105 mph level. More details here and here.

Robbe Gnat video :

Early EDFs - Robbe Gnat (2 min 48 sec)

www.schuebeler-jets.de
www.kontronic.com

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Last edited by Herb; Mar 19, 2013 at 01:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2007, 03:55 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,760 Posts
Herb,
I don't ever remember seeing the Costa Mesa field look that green...must be early spring time.
Bob
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Jan 21, 2007, 06:47 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Hi Bob, mid-april I guess from the date in the thread ... I wish it was that green all year long - but then you can't have everything
Old Sep 14, 2007, 07:02 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,307 Posts
Hey,

I've got a Gnat too. Yours looks very nice, including the seams where the wing meets up with the fuselage. How did you do that? My wings seem to be a bit high i.e. there's an edge of approx. 2 mm.. ? I was thinking about removing the wing that I already epoxied to the fuselage or just sand those edges away from the wing and filling the fuselage a bit up.

Also, how did you get that nice finish? The surface looks very smooth.

Thanks.
Dave
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2007, 03:45 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
I filled the foam joints with lightweight water based spackle, and then covered the whole plane in silkspan. See the link posted above, there's a few pictures there that might answer your question ...

On the silkspan I then applied some water-based varnish, most likely minwax polycrylic which is a water based acrylic. Other acrylics will work too provided they don't melt the foam. Polyurethane varnishes look very nice but are way too heavy, avoid those.

Laminating epoxy is too hard and heavy for the Gnat. You can use fiberglass cloth, but then you have to fill the weave which adds weight.

JePe ( www.jepe.org) now has some very nice pages on how to finish foam.

The final coat is water based tamiya acrylics thinned with alcohol and applied with an airbrush.

Last edited by Herb; Mar 20, 2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:06 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Mattes View Post
Hi Herb,

I wondered if you could help me. A friend went to a swap meet and called me to say there was a "pink jet" I might be interested in. He bought it for 20 bucks, and when he came back into town I find it's a Robbe Gnat!

Lots of things are missing, and I can figure out most everything, but I was hoping I could get a hold of some instructions for it. Mostly just interested in how they set up the linkages. Without knowing what was SUPPOSED to be it looks like they tried to run all 4 control surfaces with 2 servos. I can convert to 3-4 servos, but I'd be really interested in seeing how the original setup was. Can ya help? thanks!

Pat

It's a great flying airframe, so take good care of it No, I don't have the instructions.

Yes the original linkages were quite odd, two servos to run four surfaces. One servo would run both ailerons, and the other would run the elevators. A lot of mechanical adjustments, as well as tubes/rods running across the duct. The advantage back then was saving the weight of two extra servos.

I find the "modern" setup using four micro servos much simpler !

I use one servo for each aileron, with eg. a y connector. An then two servos buried in the left and right back fuselage for the two elevators. Plus possibly a reversing y harness to get one servo to rotate the opposite way. Or a suitable radio mixing, with long servo wires.

If you look at the threads I mention you will see plenty of pictures. If you need me to post some more, tell me which.

Last edited by Herb; Mar 19, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:40 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Here's the finished product :

Last edited by Herb; Mar 19, 2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:46 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
I had another Gnat before (ca 1999), and that one flew with a Kyosho fan, Graupner 480BB race motor and 8 Nicds ... too heavy for that flimsy foam - and I didn't know what I was doing either back then

Last edited by Herb; Mar 28, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:49 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Some pictures of the original :

Last edited by Herb; Mar 19, 2013 at 01:56 PM.