HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:43 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
Discussion
How far have you driven (or flown) to join an event?

just curious... im so tempted to drive up to davenport just to watch/video/ and take pics of the ISR MOM event... but just seems nuts to drive 5-6 HOURS to watch... i guess its not REALLY the drive time but the cost of gas to just get there and back... about 150bucks.... im trying to convince myself im not crazy so i figured i would ask to see how crazy some of you guys are...

i know Brian Courtice flys from Hawaii to the PSS fest and Dutchy and reed come a good distance for the PSS fest and that some of the Utah/idaho guys come crazy far to DS at parker... so who else is there?

how far have you gone to go fly/spectate somewhere? whats your story?

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:45 PM
OGT back from '92
San Jose, Ca
Joined Feb 2006
677 Posts
When is the ISR MOM?

Matt
Sor Thum is offline Find More Posts by Sor Thum
Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:46 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Really just a question of time and money for me... if I've got the time and the money, I'll go almost anywhere to fly/spectate whatever. And likewise, I try to take a plane whenever I can, "just in case..."

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:46 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,280 Posts
San Diego to Cajon Pass, San Diego to Vincent, i think brian coutice will be a winner here, I know he generally flies in from Maui for the pss fest, two years ago coop came out from kansas to the fest

B
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:53 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill
just curious...

how far have you gone to go fly/spectate somewhere? whats your story?

JOe
South Africa, in 1997 for F3B WC. Pretty darned close to the other side of the world from LA. Took two flights, each greater than 10 hours, then another four hours of driving to get to the site. Took a while to get functioning normally afterwards.

Still, this is about the same level of effort as the guys that drive to the Nats from the west coast.

Joe
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:54 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
Dang joe... thats just INSANE!... lol... flat out insane... but still very cool!

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:04 PM
OGT back from '92
San Jose, Ca
Joined Feb 2006
677 Posts
Found it.

Matt
Sor Thum is offline Find More Posts by Sor Thum
Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:06 PM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,513 Posts
This year (as usual) I'll be flying from Maui to LA, and then from LA up to Portland. From Portland I drive 4 hours to Richland, Washington. I'm hoping to fly the Columbia River gorge on my way back to Portland after the 6-pack, then it's back down to LA to fly Fermin and Cajon.

I check in and out of 7 hotels over the course of two weeks, catch four airplane flights and pick up/ drop off two different rental cars.

The biggest PIA is packing/unpacking/lugging all of my planes everywhere.
Is it worth it? Absolutely!!

I had some people at work today asking me if I was going on another of my famous "toy airplane trips" for vacation again this year. One girl said, "Isn't that, like, a total geek convention?" My reply was, "Ehhh.... yeah."
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:43 PM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
Drove from Cali to Paris, Texas for an RC Combat event. All I can say is the journey is sometimes 99% of the event. We hauled ass there without a break and did the contest then packed all our gear and headed to Arizona for another one.

We literally skidded to a stop in the parking lot, opened the back and planes/gear came falling out, fueled a plane and threw it out for the opening round of combat.

Driven from here to Vegas, Livermore, Arizona and San Diego to compete without batting an eye.

Crazy amount of fun. JOe, you should seriously consider taking at least one other person with you. Sharing expenses and experiences is priceless.

RJ
I'm Rick James is offline Find More Posts by I'm Rick James
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:04 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Bob Bingham, Tom Copp, and Tim Cone just went to France/ Spain for 2 F3F events. I plan on doing the same next year. Thuro is coming from Europe for the VRQ this weekend. Guys fly to the NATs in Indiana every year. I think vacation/trips to fly are the best. I'm going to Davenport this weekend and next, can't wait.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:09 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
I drove 15 hours from Wyoming to fly at Parker/Vincent last October. I ended up at the SCSR MoM, too, so I guess that was an event. I'll drive 10 hours to the Tri Slope Six Pack next month.

I drive down to Salt Lake City to fly 5 or 6 times a year. That's about 5 hours.
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:23 PM
just CHUCK it!
Ramona Ca.
Joined Jun 2003
2,091 Posts
[QUOTE=Brian Courtice]
I had some people at work today asking me if I was going on another of my famous "toy airplane trips" for vacation again this year. One girl said, "Isn't that, like, a total geek convention?" My reply was, "Ehhh.... yeah."

Guess that makes me a geek along with you Brian!

So from one geek to another I'll be looking forward to seeing you again along with all the other geeks at the fest.

Can't wait to geek out!

2 hours to Cajon and about the same to Fermin for me Joe but I'm sure I'll be making some further trips in the future!
racingodds is offline Find More Posts by racingodds
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:33 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,062 Posts
Large events are not just about the flying. Seeing friends, going to dinner and sitting around the hotel drinking beer and BSing is just as much fun as the flying. I enjoy Soar Utah every time for this reason easily as much as I enjoy the flying.

The flying is fun but it's only 1/2 the reason I go to the events.

TFLG

Oh, 1200 miles/21 hours is the longest drive I've make yet
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:44 PM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,833 Posts
Colorado to LA, started 4:00pm Friday night and arrived about 8:00am the next morning on Parker. No contest, just wanted to fly some of the world famous CA slopes.

Andrew
the_canuck is offline Find More Posts by the_canuck
Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:51 PM
All work and no play
Lucas, KS
Joined Apr 2003
2,042 Posts
Last year Greg Smith and I did the Slope Safari. My leg was Kansas to Washington for the 3S6P then down the Pacific Coast to the PSS Fest and then back. about 4100 miles total. Greg added about 1600 mile on top of that.
legliderman is online now Find More Posts by legliderman