SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Discussion
twitchy wing.......any suggestions?

I've tried balancing my wing even going so far as to be nose heavy and it seems to be very pitch sensetive. I've figured the MAC and gone back ten percent, which has usually made my wings fairly docile around the neutral point in my servo but this wing seems to want to pitch up and down if I just breathe on the stick.
In roll it isn't exactly a blur either which is odd. It has 2" constant chord elevons and I'm wondering if there in lies the problem? Unfortunately I am only using a simple three channel radio so I can't just dial in more aileron and less elevator. If I take too much throw out it rolls like an old lady. If I put too much in it's very pitch sensetive. Hands off it seems ok too.
Anyways any suggestions?
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:38 PM
clever phrase here
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2002
2,850 Posts
tapering smaller on inboard edges of the elevons should help some. or buy a computer radio.
Foam Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Foam Crazy
Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:55 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Check for a warp in the wing.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:43 PM
Joined Mar 2005
16 Posts
Up thrust??

try changing the thrust vector by giving it moe "up" thrust 2 degrees at most. Most wings usually benefit from up thrust.
Hope this helps,
Walt
anjin_3278 is offline Find More Posts by anjin_3278
Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
It has built in up thrust and the wings aren't warped. I've looked that over. I'm thinking it's mostly the constant chord elevons. I'm going to try tapering them from 2" outboard down to 1" inboard. That should help the roll rate by giving them more leverage out on the tips of the wings and less so inboard. Most if not all of the zagi type wings I've seen have tapered elevons. Thanx.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Well I tried tapering the elevons inwards and did a quick flight and it's a lot less twitchy. It still doesn't quite roll like I would like but it's not bad. I'm using a futaba single stick radio and it really doesn't move the servo arms a great deal. It's much less than any of my four channel hitec or futaba radios. I might have to get a four channel receiver and use a mixer and fly it with my focus six. That will give me the needed adjustments to liven up the roll rate. But for now it's much more enjoyable to fly so I'll leave it be for now and maybe try some different control horn adjustments. Do these type planes fly better with aileron differential?
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:56 AM
clever phrase here
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2002
2,850 Posts
a nice computer radio will make you a better flyer. i'd suggest an EVO9.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:04 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Yeah, get a computer radio. Many wings perform best with the CG so far back that the elevator travel is less than 1/4 of the aileron travel. As such, you will see much better performance if you can set up ATV's, etc.

If you get a good radio, you will thank yourself later.

My recommendation would depend on your requirements. The optic6 and JR6303 are both good mid range radios, and hte optic can be had for well under $200. However, if you can afford it, the best long term solution is to buy a highe rend 9 channel radio with abundant mixing options. My favorite is the EVO9

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Apr 27, 2006, 07:04 PM
Buck-Wild Wangskin!
Temecula, CA
Joined Mar 2006
76 Posts
Also, I bet if you wait till the end of May, Hobby People will have their 149 dollar sale on Optic 6 with Spectra Module again. I used to fly all my wings on a Focus 3 AM though and they were awesome. Brushless etc. I wouldnt be dead positive that its the radio but it could be.
COMBAT-WANG is offline Find More Posts by COMBAT-WANG
Old Apr 28, 2006, 03:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I set the control throws up to where it will roll pretty fast. I'll just have to finesse the stick a bit better. It's getting easier the more I fly it.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 05:51 PM
clever phrase here
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2002
2,850 Posts
even comparing between my hitec flash5x radio, with the new evo12 i have now, it is a night and day difference while flying even the 3 to 4 channel planes. i'm not talking all bells and whistles either. i am meaning the fundamentals.

for instance, throttle to elevator mix setting that allows the plane to stay level, no matter the power setting, makes it a joy to fly even the most porpoisy airplanes, and also allows you to play with the CG even more. aileron differential adjustment makes a world of difference on airplanes that do not have a very pretty roll. independant travel and center adjustments allows you to set bias between, say, pitch and roll controls, which would for example, allow you to keep the cork screw spiral rolls, but go easy on the elevator, so it doesn't bob up and down.

the price gap between intermediate and advance radios are getting less significant these days. a good radio is a smart investment in this hobby.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 02:04 AM
Grapevine,Texas
Joined Mar 2005
764 Posts
What radio are you using? My Focus has an ETA and diff add-ons. I have noticed that wings tend to be pitch happy and I perfer less elevator throw than aileron.

You might be able to hack the tranmitter to get differential throws- There are some articles about adding a pot between the sticks. If you post the brand and model, some one will know the hack.

For another budget solution, check eBay. I got a Hitec Flash 5ch just for my wings because the number was growing and it was a great deal.
makarov380 is offline Find More Posts by makarov380
Old Apr 29, 2006, 06:55 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Definetly a computer radio. Set the elevons using a little bit of expo. Will be a lot less twitchy. Also, how are the elevons attached? If tape is used, sometimes the elevon isn't even with the TE the whole length of the wing.
My Unicorn is a little like that. In a dive when you yank back on the stick, there is a bit of hesitation before the wing pulls up. Currently taking my elevons off, gluing a piece of flat carbon fiber to the TE and then re-attaching elevon.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:44 AM
Robots... robots everywhere
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
Computer radio...
minifly is offline Find More Posts by minifly
Old Apr 29, 2006, 04:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Oh I've got computer radios. I've got two prizm 7x's that I could use if I had to. But those are devoted to some of my big gas and glow stuff like my quarter scale Dr 1 and a 120 size ultimate and a sixty size Stinger.
I have nine glow planes that mostly all require computer radios just to be able to fly them. So far I've only got five electrics and fly four of those with a Hitec Focus six. The radio I'm using to fly the wing right now is a Futaba Skyport SS3, 3 channel AM radio. Yes it's primitive but it works and has good range. I'll probably just finesse the sticks a little more until maybe I'll get another receiver for the Hitech and use a mixer lead I just bought. It has more than enough room. Then I'll be able to fly all five off one radio anyway. All I have to do then is dial in a little less "elevator" and be able to have full throws on the "aileron" part.
Here is a link to my putfile homepage. If you want to see how it flew the last time I had it out check out "flying wing 2"
http://www.putfile.com/randall1959