HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2001, 06:26 PM
Nr Swindon, England
Joined Jul 2001
5 Posts
Flash build time

What would you estimate the build time for a Flash and would you consider it a suitable beginner model for somebody who has only built ART models (Zagi, Razor & PicoJet) todate ;-)
AlexP is offline Find More Posts by AlexP
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2001, 08:13 PM
Corvallis, OR
Joined Mar 2000
1,164 Posts
It took me 3 months of part-time work to build the Flash. I covered the whole plane
w/ silkspan before I painted it and this took me some time to do. Otherwise, building is straightforward...it has excellent instructions.

Ron Vallejo

[This message has been edited by electricrcflyer (edited 07-31-2001).]
electricrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by electricrcflyer
Old Jul 31, 2001, 10:05 PM
Ready for a Vacation!
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2000
383 Posts
It took me 2 days of nonstop 15hr a day work, but that is NOT advisable!! Take your time and DEFINATELY cover it with silkspan, I didnt and now its dented up , but now my wing is silkspanned so we'll see how that works out.
Andrew
AndrewK is offline Find More Posts by AndrewK
Old Aug 01, 2001, 02:14 AM
Nr Swindon, England
Joined Jul 2001
5 Posts
Pls excuse my ignorance ;-) but what is silkspan ?
AlexP is offline Find More Posts by AlexP
Old Aug 01, 2001, 07:54 AM
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Joined Nov 2000
667 Posts
Greetings Alex -

Silkspan is a heavier grade tissue used on freeflight and other type models. Before Monkote and the other iron-on coverings, it was a rather common covering material used with dope.

I'm finishing up my 3rd Flash and the building time is quite short for the airframe itself. Covering it in Silkspan doubles or triples the building time but the added durability is well worth the effort in my opinion.

Back in my bachelor days, I would have had it built in a week or so of evening building. Now it takes a bit longer (!) but it does get built! It flies well and is well worth building.

Their next model is going to be a twin EDF of the Yak-130 Russian advanced trainer - the prototype has been flying for some time and it looks really good. I hope we see them being available late this year.

Fly Fast! Mark

Mark Nankivil is offline Find More Posts by Mark Nankivil