HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2007, 02:15 PM
Elk Grove, California
Joined Dec 2004
110 Posts
Gear for Cobweb

On mine I used an Eflite Park 250 BL motor ($45)
GWS EP7035 prop
Electrifly 8 amp ESC (about $20)
Blue Arrow 3.g G servos ($12 each)
300 mah 2cell Lipo battery from Hobby Lobby
(I forget how much)
Spektrum AR 6100 receiver (a GWS 4 channel would do
just fine - less than $30).

It tools around for about 15 minutes at about half throttle
with this setup. It has enough thrust to handle some wind outside but of course it will not fly as long. It's a great slow fllyer.

I agree the instructions are the worst I have ever seen, but the plane is simple. You'll be able to figure it unless you're a total newby.
UpnDown is offline Find More Posts by UpnDown
Last edited by UpnDown; Dec 02, 2007 at 02:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2007, 05:52 AM
Joined Sep 2007
38 Posts
UpnDown

I appreciate your come-back with the gear information. Is this the forum site I should be using for the Cobweb or is there another? My Cobweb is a winter project that I'll start building after the holidays so I'd like to have an experienced site to go to with my questions. I am an experienced flyer but not with the Cobweb technoligy.
ConRman is offline Find More Posts by ConRman
Old Dec 07, 2007, 12:22 PM
MS
Joined Jul 2005
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConRman
Fellow Flyers,

I just bought my Cobweb from Hobby Lobby the friday after Thanksgiving but haven't had the time to start building it, In planning ahead I need to know the most sucessful/economical electronics to use from motor to servos. Anybody got experienced info??

I also picked one up on that sale.
Will be following this thread as well. I have a couple <20g motors coming from HC that should fly it quite nicely.

Will post with progress but don't really expect to start till early next year.

mj147
mj147 is offline Find More Posts by mj147
Old Dec 08, 2007, 08:44 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3 Posts
I also bought the Cobweb II after TG. It took about 4 hours to build. I also had to redrill the hole for one of the landing gear, and trim the clip on the fuselage that holds the forward wing strut. I used 2 HS-55s, a 7.4V 900 ma battery, electrifly 12A ESC, and High Tech 05s receiver, and a 400XT brushless motor with a 7X5 prop. The plane flys slow and predictable, but had some problems with the flight controls going over center in a hard turn or loop. I corrected this by using small tie wraps to make a control horn stop. To connect the tail wheel, I drilled a small hole in the rear of the main CF rod, bent over the end, and epoxied in place. For those that think I could have gotten away with lighter electronics, you're right, but those are perfect for most indoor flying, and I want to use them again on other models. Also, this plane flys so slow and easy, it doesn't much matter. Flying weight with battery came in at 7.9 ounces. The only other improvement I would recommend is to get better wheels. I bought 2 inch plastic indoor landing gear wheels, and it lands and rolls much easier. It also gets off the ground faster with the increased angle of attack.
joer077 is offline Find More Posts by joer077
Old Dec 10, 2007, 04:24 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joer077
I also bought the Cobweb II after TG. It took about 4 hours to build. I also had to redrill the hole for one of the landing gear, and trim the clip on the fuselage that holds the forward wing strut. I used 2 HS-55s, a 7.4V 900 ma battery, electrifly 12A ESC, and High Tech 05s receiver, and a 400XT brushless motor with a 7X5 prop. The plane flys slow and predictable, but had some problems with the flight controls going over center in a hard turn or loop. I corrected this by using small tie wraps to make a control horn stop. To connect the tail wheel, I drilled a small hole in the rear of the main CF rod, bent over the end, and epoxied in place. For those that think I could have gotten away with lighter electronics, you're right, but those are perfect for most indoor flying, and I want to use them again on other models. Also, this plane flys so slow and easy, it doesn't much matter. Flying weight with battery came in at 7.9 ounces. The only other improvement I would recommend is to get better wheels. I bought 2 inch plastic indoor landing gear wheels, and it lands and rolls much easier. It also gets off the ground faster with the increased angle of attack.
Additional info. Increased prop to 8X3.8 for quicker response and more thrust. I found that loops should be done straight on, with no shallow dive. In a dive, the elevator can't pull the airplane out, the nylon is not stiff enough. Same for hard sharp turns with the rudder. Model is great for lazy relaxing flights, and being so slow, you can fly between opstacles with ease. Also with above electronics configuration, I flew over an hour with the same 900 ma battery. Throttle for the most part was never above 1/4.
joer077 is offline Find More Posts by joer077
Old Dec 21, 2007, 05:47 PM
Joined Sep 2007
38 Posts
Starting to build my CobwebII and am in the fitting parts to each other before any glue. Ran into my first PROBLEM : I do not have a notch in the tail section of the CF and the Cf does not get past the tab inside the plastic tail bracket. Has anyone experienced this problem and what did you do -- notch the CF with a Dremel or remove the internal tab with the Dremel or any other method?????
Old Dec 22, 2007, 02:18 PM
Joined Sep 2007
38 Posts
Continuing to build Cobweb: I'm not very happy with the quality of the manufacturing. I did save myself some "Reinventing the wheel time" by reading all the Cobweb forums and listing the tips by catagory before I started. I used some square, hollow, poly kite stick for the wing mount cross strut, which will allow for a rubber band mounted wing, drilled a hole in the center and slid it onto the cf mount - glued it from ends to center. Had to drill out the hot glue overspill in the rudder pivot hole and then added a washer at the top to prevent unnecessary wear. Had to trim the landing gear fuse brackets and forward wing mount fuse bracket so all three would fit together (poor quality fuse hole drilling).
Question -- One of the tips stated not to install a twisted main wing. mine has a twist at one end approx 1" different than the other end. I am not sure what to do about that, anybody got an answer??
Old Dec 22, 2007, 02:25 PM
Joined Sep 2007
38 Posts
Cobweb main wing twist

My main wing has a twist at one end, wing on level surface one end is up approx 1" at forward. I'm not sure what to do about it, can you help??
Old Jan 02, 2008, 01:22 PM
Joined Oct 2002
165 Posts
Just a quick note to let you know I have the same problems. My wing has a twist in it and the rudder is really warped. The elevators have some warpage but probably o.k. The wing seems to come out ok after the metal clips are fastened on to the top wing lines. I am not sure how to flatten the rudder. Any ideas?? My holes were too close too for the landing gear and front pylon mount. I thinned the tube mounts out on the power sander as little as possible to use the existing holes. Also I did not have have a rear fuselage tube slot either. I put one with a Dremel wheel. Hope to fly it in a week at our indoor fun fly day. Not the greatest quality control, huh?

Hope someone know how to flatten the tail surfaces. I will call Hobby Lobby about it.

Bill
billyboywdb is offline Find More Posts by billyboywdb
Old Jan 07, 2008, 05:28 PM
hardhats required
ks, usa
Joined Feb 2004
438 Posts
Here are my tips for the Cobweb 2 from Hobby Lobby.

First, test fit everything BEFORE glue. And don't glue until you know everthing is right. I built my airframe up, got everthing straight and square , then glued.

I also had to sand on the front wing and landing gear supports to get them to line up with the drilled holes. Also test fit the carbon rod into the support and if too tight, gently sand the rods till they fit better without alot of force.

Also adjust the landing gear rods so the plane sets flat. I noticed that one rod had to be pushed through the main tube about a 1/2 inch to get the plane to set flat on the gear.

Before you glue the elevator/rudder on, insert the two wing mount rods into the fuse and use them as a guide to get it close. Don't glue yet! Wait until the wing is on incase it needs adjusted.

I am going to use some of my old park flyer gear in this plane. Mainly the GWS gear box and motor form my old tiger moth foamie. Might swap out the brushed motor for a medusa brushless, but will see how the cobweb flies first before I spend the cash. A couple JR sm15 sevos for control and a 2 cel li-po for power.

Anyone figure out what the two larger clips are for? I thought they may be for a motor mount, but a gws motor is too loose in the clip.

I am also going to visit the UPS store to build a transport box. They should have all the cardboard and foam bits to build a nice box. Think I will use two bits of foam, one front and one rear on the main fuse rod to hold plane securely in box. Might even see about making the wing removable for transport.

This should be a great plane for slow indoor gym flying when it is too cold or windy outside to fly. Mainly why I bought it.

Thanks for the article, and the cg tips.

See ya,
Rod
rchotrod is offline Find More Posts by rchotrod
Old Mar 22, 2008, 04:06 PM
Joined Oct 2006
325 Posts
Cobweb 2 Availability

Greetings ALL:
As of 3/2008 the Cobweb2 will NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE AT HOBBY-LOBBY. It has been discontinued from their stock. Tried to order on 3/20 and could not. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE ELSE TO ORDER THIS PLANE. A Hooby-Lobby Rep told me their distributor is an "ANYRC" in China. Please help!
Thanks in advance
Aloha Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Aloha Flyer
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:52 PM
Joined Oct 2002
165 Posts
Personal message sent.

Bill
billyboywdb is offline Find More Posts by billyboywdb
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:12 AM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
Aloha...........PM sent.
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar
Old Mar 29, 2008, 02:16 AM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Charlottesville, VA
Joined Jun 2005
1,016 Posts
cobweb

I have had this for a while and she flies great. Overpowered she will hover and shoot straight up. If you fly it too rough she will flutter and kind of gets "stuch" (surfaces flex and you have to pull her out of it)
I did change the wheels to some light foam ones also glued up the tail wheel.

her is my setup

hacker a2034s(highly recomended)
cc10
ccberg
hs55's
pq 7.4 400mah
8x3.8 slow fly

I did play with the down thrust a bita bit of epoxy here and there, added a cross brace, if you loop too hard things fold, she is better slow and hover.
I do notice it will warp with the humidity, seems to get tight in the winter (rudder looks like a potato chip) and things get slack in the summer. I put a couple of strobes on the fuse (thoes little magnetic onse weigh nothing if you pull all the metal off and use a current limiting resistor, fun at dusk)

Great little plane with no wind, here is some video , used my pen cam on a hat so res not so good but it shows her in flight.

I tend to get a llot of time with this one because you can take it out to the cult de sack anytime there is no wind, sweet.

http://media.putfile.com/cobweb-slowflier-hat-cam
Mr.frankenjet is offline Find More Posts by Mr.frankenjet
Old Mar 30, 2008, 01:52 PM
Joined Jul 2005
150 Posts
Available where?

I'm interested in the responses to Aloha's question as well - where to get them?

Thanks,

Don
donglass is offline Find More Posts by donglass