HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2002, 02:17 PM
Joined Jun 2002
4 Posts
1/6 scale SIG CUB...will it fly?

Hi,

I have been building a 1/6 scale SIG CUB. This is my first attempt at a plane. All I have left to do is complete the radio equipment installation, engine & associated and cover the plane.

My problem is this...while the wing looks good and straight the fuselage has some bends and twists in it. This cause the elevators to be at a slightly different angle than the wing, and the cabin area is like a parrallegram when viewed from the front down the fuselage axis. The angles I am talking about are 1 or 2 degrees to about 5 degrees. I have very little dihedral on the wings - I am making it a 4 channel CUB.

Will this cause a big problem? Anyone have experience with this kit?

Thanks,

Graeme
Graeme is offline Find More Posts by Graeme
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2002, 04:34 AM
Bonney Lake, WA
Joined Jan 2002
788 Posts
It should fly okay; you may want to have an experienced modeler look it over before you fly it though. Cubs fly funny enough as it is so you probably won't notice the slight mis-rigging.
flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by flyfalcons
Old Jul 11, 2002, 12:44 PM
Joined Jun 2002
4 Posts
I'll have a guy a a local shop have a look at it before I cover it.

Cubs fly funny? How so?

Graeme
Graeme is offline Find More Posts by Graeme
Old Jul 11, 2002, 04:48 PM
Bonney Lake, WA
Joined Jan 2002
788 Posts
Model Cubs fly funny by design. I am flying a Great Planes cub with a 76" wing so it is about the same size as yours. It is very unstable in yaw, requiring constant minor corrections to hold a heading perfectly. I don't know if your plane has "barn door" ailerons but mine does and even with some differential the planes has tremendous adverse yaw, so my turns are made with a 50-50 mix of rudder/aileron. I'm not running a computer radio on my cub but if I were I'd put about a 50% mix of aileron-rudder. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the cub as much as my hopped-up Extra, but to master the plane you must constantly use all four channels. Have fun.
flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by flyfalcons