HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:48 AM
Joined Mar 2006
7 Posts
Help!
Wing struts for Sr.Telemaster ARF

I just bought a Sr.Telemaster ARF from Hobby Lobby. Everyone recommends using the wing struts. Any suggestions out there on a good way to connect them to the airplane? I'm thinking of using heavy duty clevis attachments to a brass horn. Hobby Lobby will sell the hardware, along with a lot of other stuff I don't need, for over $40!! Their customer service and tech departments were not accomodating as far as me buying just the hardware. I'll never buy from them again. Thanks!
drbyrnes is offline Find More Posts by drbyrnes
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2006, 02:19 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
I bought some airfoil shaped tubular aluminum for the struts, in exchange for the heavy supplied wood ones.

For attachment, I used the large Du-Bro pinned hinges. Slip one half of a hinge into the ends of the aluminum struts, then flatten the strut down over the hinge. Drill two or three small holes through the strut ends and hinges. Use short screws with nuts to cinch everything together.

Simply screw the other half of the hinge to the flat strut mounting points on the wings and fuselage. I left the hinges on the wing end of the struts permanently pinned together, so the struts stay attached to the wing.

I removed the pins from the fuselage ends and substituted large "T" pins for the hinge pins. These are attached to the landing gear struts with a short piece of elastic cord so the pins won't get lost.

To install the struts, simply line up the "eyes" of the hinges and slide the pins into the place to lock the struts in position.

I also converted my wing to one-piece, using a false center plywood rib and wing bolt hold-downs.

There is more information about this on a thread on the electric sport planes forum. Here is the thread, in case you haven't seen it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=410957&pp=25

By the way, this is a great plane, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Last edited by AmpAce; May 08, 2006 at 02:39 PM.