HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mharms, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 02:36 AM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
Discussion
Found My Plane!

Well, I went to RSA at lunchtime and scanned the meadow with binoculars while standing on the hill. Nothing turned up, but I was loaded for tick (with bug spray all over my shoes and pants), so down into the meadow I went.

After going over much of where I'd been yesterday, I ventured farther out. The grass got really tall (above my waist) and I thought if the plane went down here, I'd only find it by stepping on it. Then I saw ticks crawling up my shirt, and I decided to get outta the the tall stuff. I came out into some lower grass and caught a glimpse of something shiny. Yep, there was my plane. Not really hidden, just much farther out than I expected. I tried to rev the motor or move the actuators, but the battery was dead. A slug had left a trail next to the fuse during the night, but otherwise, the plane was in good shape. I hauled it back up to the flying area, put in a new battery, and flew for a while. Really perked up my spirits.

Have yet to verify if the discharged battery is OK. I charged it slow (at about 0.5C) and after a couple of hours, the charger LED turned green like normal. Maybe its OK too.

marckossa,
Thanks for the good luck wishes. Maybe it helped! Glad you found yours.

Jason,
Thanks for the offer. Yeah, the ticks seem really bad this year. One tick I found on my kitchen wall, next to where I had hung my fleece jacket. This little guy is now in a jar on top of my computer. After some web research, this one seems to be a Pacific Coast tick (Dermacentor occidentalis). A good local resource for tick info is: www.coepark.org/tick-info.html

OK, enough tick talk. Here's some pics of my recovered plane.

Mark
mharms is offline Find More Posts by mharms
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:49 PM
Hector Tori
Joined Jan 2007
2 Posts
help with little wing

Hi mharms

I hope your still out there.

With inspiration from you, I'm trying to make one out of parts that I have collected from other small planes and helis that I have bought over then years. I have only one magnet servo at the moment but will get another if I can get help to mix them on to one receiver.

Do you have any plans to hlep me out, or can you surggest a shop where I can find parts this small for my wing?

kind regards
Andy Yong is offline Find More Posts by Andy Yong
Old Jan 28, 2007, 09:46 AM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
Hello Andy,

Sorry for such a long delay replying to your post. I have not checked my blog for a while.

The best place for finding information about building micro airplanes is in the "Indoor and Micro Models" forum (but you may already know that). A good starting thread is:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84771

There is a section on vendors there.

In case you are located down-under, there is an Australian fellow on RCG named andrewm1973 who is may be opening a store for micro components sometime soon.

Since I have v-tail mixing on my transmitter, it was easy for me to get proper control over my elevons. If you do not have such a transmitter, then the mixing for elevons must be done in, or after, the receiver. There are mixer devices you can add to receivers, but they are for regular servos, not for actuators. I am not sure how to build a mixer circuit for actuators. Probably best to get a transmitter with v-tail mixing.

Good Luck!
Old Feb 02, 2007, 01:21 AM
Hector Tori
Joined Jan 2007
2 Posts
hey Mike

Thx for that.
After writing my 1st message, I relised that "Plantraco" was a dealer, went to their web site and i'm now ordering the parts that i need to complete my wing.

Yes, Im in Aust and in Melb. Where is this andrewm1973 based. I would deffinatlly order stuff off him if he dilivers.

thx also for the link above.
that will come in handy

cya
Andy
Andy Yong is offline Find More Posts by Andy Yong
Old Feb 02, 2007, 04:35 AM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
Hey Andy,

I think andrewm1973 is up in Brisbane (not close to you, but at least not overseas). You can use the search feature to look for his posts here or search for his name under "members" to see his profile. I don't know if his store is in operation yet. You could send him an email or a PM (thru RC Groups).

Its cool that you are getting into this micro stuff!

Mark
Old Sep 03, 2013, 07:11 AM
Free foamie low waste plans
United Kingdom, England, Droitwich Spa
Joined Jan 2013
349 Posts
Love it!

Sorry if this is dragging up old threads, but I just saw your post, and absolutely love the the little stuff. I just wanted to say it looks great and what are you using for the wing front edge protection? My idea was to use a drinking straw from the Golden Arches, flattened and cut down one edge for this, but yours looks funky.

If you've got time, please have a wander over and look at my stuff, I think/hope some of it might be up your street, and I would appreciate some feedback from someone who likes this stuff, not just general builders who might not apprecaite the difficulties of building on this scale.

Great stuff!
Airlight is offline Find More Posts by Airlight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to the site..