HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Malc C, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 09, 2006, 12:32 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that there is no signal coming from the TX trainer port. Try downloading one of the free windows based ocsilloscope programs and test the port to see if you get a trace, and then compare that to the trace from the transmitter that works
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2006, 03:59 AM
Cleethorpes, NE Lincs
Joined Sep 2005
126 Posts
Had a quick look to see who made the radio, and checked against the reflex website as they have pinouts for most radios which will be fine for other interfaces as obviously the pinouts for the radios dont change when used with other simulators/interfaces etc.

Round Futaba port

Notice the solder jumper between 2 of the pins, as like the square plug, you need to short the 2 pins to tell the radio its in 'buddy' mode so it sends the signal down the cable.

Hope that helps
Mark J is offline Find More Posts by Mark J
Old Nov 12, 2006, 02:26 PM
Cleethorpes, NE Lincs
Joined Sep 2005
126 Posts
Any luck?
Mark J is offline Find More Posts by Mark J
Old Dec 27, 2006, 04:17 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my 6xh, the radio ground pin had bad contact with cable conector´s. Use a multimeter to test continuity. (Has to open the radio).

Good Luck !
augustoq is offline Find More Posts by augustoq
Old Mar 16, 2007, 04:06 AM
Firenze/Perugia, Italy
Joined Feb 2005
82 Posts
news about RC Joystick NG^2

some news about our RC Joystick NG^2:

- PCB completely redesigned: both the through hole and smd PCBs are now single layer... removed two resistors (R4 and R2 in the old design)... the USB plug can be soldered directly to PCB like in a dongle... both have also ADC connectors... dimensions are slightly reduced

- qpicprog: this is a software (bootloader and programmer) that can be used for programming the pic directly through USB so also RC Joystick NG^2 is now programmable directly via USB

- fixed a bug in original USB framework that affects 8 axes per joystick full speed version (see changelog)

our projects homepage:
http://projects.qstep.net/

ciao
alessio e andrea
alessio70 is offline Find More Posts by alessio70
Old Mar 22, 2007, 05:38 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1 Posts
RC-USB Joystick

I had build this interface (pic 18f2550). It runs very well.
Thanks and congratulations.
Paulo Figueira is offline Find More Posts by Paulo Figueira
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:33 PM
Joined Mar 2007
7 Posts
a small summary

Hello everybody! First thanks so much for all who worked in this project to make what is today. There is so much people searching that was here and in my case this is the only way to get an rc-usb.

Well, the intention of this post is make a summary for me and for all of others that are possible to be become ill with so many information that we have.

So:
1.- I begin of the base which the file zip does not need corrections and that all this perfect one, so far
2.- The layer of the PCB is correct and we only have to reproduce it in the board
3.- To program the PIC we need to buy or make the PIC-PG2C, then according to I understand is the one that has used the majority and it works to him well.
4.- The software to do this may be the WINPIC for the same last reason.
5.- Choose the HEX who you want
6.- In the list of components the LED is 3mm and the resistance are 1/4w, I suppose.
7.- The signal of the Tx we have to connect to the pin that takes to the resistance of 10k and the gnd to the gnd of the PCB
8.- For the USB connection:
PIN 1 -> +5v (red)
PIN 2 -> D+ (white)
PIN 3 -> D- (green)
PIN 4 -> GND (black)
9.- If I have not plans to use the switch between Futaba and JR I must leave de switch: open?
10.- And this is it!

Oh! before use the interface I must remove the crystal from the RC

My question can the resistances be of 1/8w? Can I can put a LED of 3mm of high illumination of blue color without having problems? I can`t find the BC550C can I use the BC549C?

Saludos!
José Luis Mebold
JoMebold is offline Find More Posts by JoMebold
Last edited by JoMebold; Mar 22, 2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:08 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Hi Jose and welcome to the forum

As one of the people involved in the original set of files I'll try to answer some of your questions, However most of the answeres can be found by reading through the thread.

You don't need the PG2C programmer.. that's one I have. You can use any PIC programmer, and there are lots to choose from both commercially and hobby build projects.

There are other programs too for loading the HEX files to the PIC, you are not limited to WinPic

You can use any LED you want, however you may need to change R2 if you want to use any of the superbright LEDs - for normal LEDS the 220R is fine. 1/8 watt should be OK

The RX signal does indeed enter via the 10K resistor, but this is connected to the base of the BC550 transistor - not ground.

Yes you should be able to use any of the transistors in the BC550 group. Its basically a general purpose NPN transistor - if you have any doubt search for the datasheet on the BC550 and compare the specs
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:03 AM
Joined Mar 2007
7 Posts
RC Joystick Ver 1

Well, I have compiled the hex in to the PIC, I get some errors but I ate them and put the PIC in the PCB: Everything works perfect.

Thanks for all, I`m very happy with the interface.

-----------------------------------------------------

Another point:

I have a big problem when I try to "build all" in the MPLAB IDE 7.5. It request to me some files in the c:\MCC18\...
I download this and install in the directory but I still have one error: Error[176] c:\... \RCJOY.ASM 45 : CONFIG Directive Error: (setting "FCMEM" not found for the processor 18F2455) and I don`t know how fix it and I want change to reverse the throttle channel.

I fixed the problem, simply erased the FCMEM of the ASM file. I don`t know if it`s correct but I did it.

Now the problem is how I reverse the channel

Saludos!
JoMebold is offline Find More Posts by JoMebold
Last edited by JoMebold; Mar 30, 2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2007, 02:30 AM
Firenze/Perugia, Italy
Joined Feb 2005
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMebold
Another point:

I have a big problem when I try to "build all" in the MPLAB IDE 7.5. It request to me some files in the c:\MCC18\...
I download this and install in the directory but I still have one error: Error[176] c:\... \RCJOY.ASM 45 : CONFIG Directive Error: (setting "FCMEM" not found for the processor 18F2455) and I don`t know how fix it and I want change to reverse the throttle channel.

I fixed the problem, simply erased the FCMEM of the ASM file. I don`t know if it`s correct but I did it.

Now the problem is how I reverse the channel

Saludos!
you don't need to remove FCMEM but simply change to FCMEN (microchip has changed the name of the directive from 7.5 mplab release)... you need:
config FCMEN = OFF
the ones who use our RC Joystick NG^2 needs to download latest version of the software with include this correction.

for the channel reversing issue if you use RC Joystick NG^2 you can do it by simply using set_assignments changing the sign of the assignment code of the relative channel...

ciao
alessio & andrea
http://alessioandrea.qstep.net/
Last edited by alessio70; Apr 01, 2007 at 02:41 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2007, 05:56 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Guys

This thread has come a long way since Mark and Myself modified Alessio's original NG code. I don't think that Alessio has hi-jacked the thread (his input and new NG2 code is a fantastic development on the original), but it can be confusing when others are experiencing issues as its not clear which version they have built and who's hex files etc. So for anyone who has followed this thread and has made one of the interfaces could they please state which version they have made, and what version of HEX they have used. - Thanks
Old Apr 01, 2007, 09:01 AM
Firenze/Perugia, Italy
Joined Feb 2005
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C
Guys

This thread has come a long way since Mark and Myself modified Alessio's original NG code. I don't think that Alessio has hi-jacked the thread
if you don't think that... I don't see the reason to write it! I remember you that YOU have invited us to write about RC Joystick NG^2 on this tread some times ago...

alessio & andrea
Old Apr 01, 2007, 12:10 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alessio70
I remember you that YOU have invited us to write about RC Joystick NG^2 on this tread some times ago...

alessio & andrea
There was no intention to get into a slagging match over who may of said what, but your first post in this thread was

Quote:
for those who are interested in our little project of an RC to USB interface...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568806

ciao
alessio e andrea
Which was then later followed up in post #95 with
Quote:
some news about our RC Joystick NG^2:

- PCB completely redesigned: both the through hole and smd PCBs are now single layer... removed two resistors (R4 and R2 in the old design)... the USB plug can be soldered directly to PCB like in a dongle... both have also ADC connectors... dimensions are slightly reduced

- qpicprog: this is a software (bootloader and programmer) that can be used for programming the pic directly through USB so also RC Joystick NG^2 is now programmable directly via USB

- fixed a bug in original USB framework that affects 8 axes per joystick full speed version (see changelog)

our projects homepage:
http://projects.qstep.net/

ciao
alessio e andrea

However, my previous post it wasn't my intention to offend when I mentioned anything about hi-jacking treads..and I may of suggested you posted here in some other thread (It was some time ago and my memory isn't as good as it used to be

The point I was really trying to get over is that with at least three versions (your original NG code, the version Mark and I modified, and now your NG2 version) its hard to comment or advise other people if they don't make it clear which version of the code they have used or which project they have made.

Personally I think what you guys have done and made available is fantastic. You've taken the USB interface to its limits with the addition of the PC software etc, and you have made this freely available.

Friends ?
Old Apr 01, 2007, 12:47 PM
Joined Aug 2006
35 Posts
All I would like to know is:

1. What steps do I have to take to get this working.

That's it. Simple. I expect the answer will not be so simple, however.
DragonPhyre is offline Find More Posts by DragonPhyre
Old Apr 01, 2007, 01:14 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonPhyre
All I would like to know is:

1. What steps do I have to take to get this working.

That's it. Simple. I expect the answer will not be so simple, however.
In a nutshell:

1) A PIC programmer - from $12 to $200 for a commercial device, or you can build your own.
2) software to load the HEX code provided in these threads - Most is freely available from the web. ICPROG, Winpic PRO or PICpgm all work fine
3) an 18F2550 Micro Controller - cost £4 or less
4) Eagle software (free download from Cadsoft) to make a PCB, or use stripboard if you don't want the fun of making your own PCB's
5) ability to follow the diagrams and solder components

Process:
1) - Run the software )Winpic pro, or PICpgm etc) and load the HEX file
2) - Connect the programmer to the PC and insert the PIC chip
3) - Click on the "load" button and after a few seconds the code is loaded to the PIC
4) - Either using the Eagle software, or the track image if provided, make a template to transfer the image to some copper clad PCB material. Or aquire some Vero type strip board
5) - Remove the PIC from the programmer and build the circuit on whichever board you choose.
6) - Remove the xtal or module from the TX and connect it to one side of the interface and connect the other to a spare USB port. Windows 89SE upwards should recognise it as an HID device and under gameports you will have either a single or two windows joystick devices (depending on who's code you have used)
Last edited by Malc C; Apr 01, 2007 at 01:22 PM.