HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Malc C, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 08:09 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonPhyre
Does this interface work under Linux? More to the point: Why is there no good Linux Model Simulator out there? Gah!
Most Linux distros I've tried lately detect USB joysticks automatically. If your distro doesn't, you may need to load the appropriate kernel module. "Joydev" did it for me. Here's a howto: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Joystick_Setup
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonPhyre
More to the point: Why is there no good Linux Model Simulator out there?
But there is! Charles River Radio Control Simulator (CRRCSIM): http://crrcsim.sourceforge.net/wiki/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/crrcsim/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crrcsim/

There's a short CRRCSIM thread here on RCG too:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=137190&pp=15

I'm using CRRCSIM 0.9.6 on Gentoo Linux 2006.0. Runs great, and as you'd expect with aerodynamic input from Prof. Mark Drela himself, excellent flight physics. The graphics are not up there with the better commercial sims yet, but are quite decent, and from what I hear, 0.9.7 makes another huge improvement in graphics quality.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Last edited by flieslikeabeagl; Sep 24, 2006 at 01:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2006, 03:27 AM
Cleethorpes, NE Lincs
Joined Sep 2005
126 Posts
Nice one Flieslikeabeagle!

In one of my earlier posts I had mentioned that I would have thought that the new distros of Linux would probably have USB detecting for HID's etc, glad to see I had sort of guessed right lol!
That sim does look quite good, fingers crossed they'll add some heli's for it soon too!

Mark.

Note: Malc, hope your doing good, sorry not spoke for a while, been busy as hell, and in the process of getting Skype reinstalled again today (swapped pc's etc and had a nightmare lol!)
Mark J is offline Find More Posts by Mark J
Old Sep 24, 2006, 04:37 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J

Note: Malc, hope your doing good, sorry not spoke for a while, been busy as hell, and in the process of getting Skype reinstalled again today (swapped pc's etc and had a nightmare lol!)
Been busy myself of late too... hopefully your PC is back together soon and we'll find time for a skypee !
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Sep 24, 2006, 09:40 AM
Firenze/Perugia, Italy
Joined Feb 2005
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
Most Linux distros I've tried lately detect USB joysticks automatically...
But there is! Charles River Radio Control Simulator (CRRCSIM): ...
thanks for the info!! didn't know this sim... tried now on windows and seems to have a very good phisics... and runs smooth even with my poor 16mb graphics card after all graphics is not the fundamental thing for me... but as Mark J said hope they'll add some heli's... now will try on linux too....

P.S. about our RC Joystick NG^2 on linux... it seems to work perfectly under linux too and today I've ported also the assignment configuration utility set_assignments and get_assignments (same source for windows and linux but linked against LibUSB-Win32 and libusb...) and seems to work!! we are going to publish on our site the new package with sources and binaries for both OS as soon as possible...

ciao
alessio e andrea
http://alessioandrea.qstep.net/
alessio70 is offline Find More Posts by alessio70
Last edited by alessio70; Sep 24, 2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 01:22 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alessio70
thanks for the info!! didn't know this sim... tried now on windows and seems to have a very good phisics... and runs smooth even with my poor 16mb graphics card
You're welcome! It does seem like the pearl nobody knows about, doesn't it?
Quote:
as Mark J said hope they'll add some heli's...
This started out as a glider simulator only, over the last year or so they've added powered models. Perhaps one day helicopters will be added.

I get the impression that not many people are actually writing code for this project - there are few people using Linux on the desktop, and few people who can write code for a simulator, so surely very few who want to work on a simulator for Linux.
Quote:
now will try on linux too....
Just a quick heads-up, you need OpenGL enabled for CRRCSIM to work on Linux. That requires a video card with OpenGL capable drivers. Most Nvidia cards seem to work great, as long as you use the proprietory Nvidia binary driver (and not the Free "nv" driver). Supposedly some ATI cards work, though there seem to be many people having problems with these.

Older Nvidia cards are very cheap these days, especially the AGP ones which are now obsolete because of PCI-X motherboards. I picked up an Nvidia 6200 card for $50 from Frys Electronics a while ago.

Some distros enable OpenGL automatically, others may require some tweaking - often one has to download the official Nvidia drivers, edit the xorg.conf configuration file and replace "nv" with "nvidia" if using an Nvidia card, and perhaps make a few other slight changes too.

I have had good luck with CRRCSIM on Slackware and Gentoo, and trouble with some other distros I tried.
Quote:
our RC Joystick NG^2 on linux... it seems to work perfectly under linux too and today I've ported also the assignment configuration utility set_assignments and get_assignments (same source for windows and linux but linked against LibUSB-Win32 and libusb...) and seems to work!!
Excellent! I've been using a Logitech Dual Action USB gamepad as my CRRCSIM controller; CRRCSIM already has the abilitity to read an RC transmitter buddy-box PPM signal from the audio card in the PC, but I couldn't get that working with my Spektrum DX6 transmitter and CRRCSIM 0.9.6 for some reason. Your code for RC Joystick NG^2 will provide another option for interfacing the Tx to CRRCSIM.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Sep 25, 2006, 04:43 AM
Firenze/Perugia, Italy
Joined Feb 2005
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
You're welcome! It does seem like the pearl nobody knows about, doesn't it?
Just a quick heads-up, you need OpenGL enabled for CRRCSIM to work on Linux. That requires a video card with OpenGL capable drivers. Most Nvidia cards seem to work great, as long as you use the proprietory Nvidia binary driver (and not the Free "nv" driver). Supposedly some ATI cards work, though there seem to be many people having problems with these.
yes it is!! thanks for the info... at the moment I have an nvidia graphic card on a laptop... and for linux have a very small partition with a debian installed... I've used the nvidia proprietary driver before on a suse... think I'll have to try to reinstall and configure... finger crossed

ciao
alessio
Old Sep 25, 2006, 04:46 AM
Firenze/Perugia, Italy
Joined Feb 2005
82 Posts
P.S. we have a little beagle here... but he has not learnt to fly yet
Old Sep 25, 2006, 03:58 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Yes indeed, flying beagles are few and far between these days. Though I hear that large flocks of them used to fly over Victorian-era England, before the pollution and deforestation that came with the Industrial Revolution drove the flying beagles to near-extinction.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Sep 26, 2006, 09:47 AM
Firenze/Perugia, Italy
Joined Feb 2005
82 Posts

alessio
Old Sep 30, 2006, 01:38 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
So, it looks like the list that these interfaces can be used on so far includes the following:

-CRRCSIM (Might even be able to get this running on an XBOX with Debian! That'd be cool!)
-FMS
-Clearview
-Real Flight G2 (Non-interlink)

What else is anyone using?
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Nov 08, 2006, 04:49 PM
Joined Jun 2006
25 Posts
I am with problems. I made a “RC-USB Joystick” and I perfectly functioned in my Futaba radio 6Exas with squared connector. But I tried to use in a rário Skysport 6A - FP-T6VA with round connector and it does not function, does not receive no signal. The LED erases and not of the signal. When I place in 6Exas it functions normally. It will be that somebody knows to say me what can be occurring?
nyxtech is offline Find More Posts by nyxtech
Old Nov 09, 2006, 03:07 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
It sounds like the interface is not receiving a ppm signal from the Skysport tx. Either you have soldered the input to the wrong pin, or the transmitter uses PCM. Also some transmitters need to be turned on to output the signal from the trainer port
Old Nov 09, 2006, 04:25 AM
Joined Jun 2006
25 Posts
The transmitter is not PCM, therefore I found stranger. I welded the bolt in the place that always I used. You he would have some weld project of the bolts for the squared connector and the round connector?
Old Nov 09, 2006, 05:33 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
No idea then - if it works with the Futaba 6Exas then there is nothing physically wrong with the interface. - I don't understand your last post regarding bolts ?

Looking at the back of the TX the output from the round plug should be pin 2.

Code:
            pin 3
              O
  pin 2   O      O pin 4

pin 1    O         O pin 5
The screen should be soldered to the shield of the DIN plug.
Old Nov 09, 2006, 06:02 AM
Joined Jun 2006
25 Posts
For “Interface USB” with squared connector I make the weld of wires in the following order.
Code:
squared connector  

3  2  1
O  O  O

O  O  O
 6  5  4

round connector  

pin 3
              O
  pin 2   O       O pin 4
              O <------------ pin 6
pin 1    O         O pin 5
Red in 3 Pin and Black color in Pin 2. E perfectly functions in the Radio 6Exas.

For “Interface USB” with round connector I make the weld of the Red wire in 2 Pin and the Black color in the external part of the connector.

Sincerely I do not obtain to understand because in some radios it functions and others not being that all are Rádios Futaba.