HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Malc C, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:40 PM
Marysville, WA USA
Joined Dec 2004
5 Posts
Programming PIC18F2550

Hello to all, I just finished making this interface and am having troubles programming the pic.
I'm using Winpic 800 and the PIC-PG2C programmer. I'm getting writing address errors. I'm new to pic's and I was wondering if I have something incorrectly configured . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ...Mikromike
Mikromike is offline Find More Posts by Mikromike
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2006, 03:18 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikromike
Hello to all, I just finished making this interface and am having troubles programming the pic.
I'm using Winpic 800 and the PIC-PG2C programmer. I'm getting writing address errors. I'm new to pic's and I was wondering if I have something incorrectly configured . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ...Mikromike
Mikromike,

Strangely enough, I've just done the same myself (but I bought the interface already built).

Had some initial problems - mainly to do with the fact that whilst I could read a device, I couldn't program it. That seemed to clear itself (dunno if the voltage on the serial port is a bit low..)

Anyway you need to provide more info. (examples below)

o What are you programming it on? Laptop? Desktop system?
o Can you read a device?
o Can you program a different device? 16F84 etc (You do understand that different chips are positioned differently in the programmer - did you position yours correctly?)
o What errors are you getting?
o Have you set the programmer to be a 'JDM' in Winpic?
o Does the LED come on when you try to program the PIC?
o If you've made the interface check it for construction errors. Use Winpic to toggle the pins, and test them with a volt meter.

If you wish to re-compile the source, then Software steps you should have done (I think)

o Install WinPic
o Install MPLAB
o Configure Winpic to find the 'device' files in the MPLAB installation (or copy them across, and tell Winpic where they are)
o Open Malc's project file for the RC-USB joystick, and add it as a project.
o Compile the ASM file.
o If OK, build the project (it should ask you where are the linker etc files, tell it)

That should result in a new built file.

(I've only played doing the rebuild once, so far - so will need to check the new hex etc is all OK)

Cheers,
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Aug 24, 2006, 03:39 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Also, try using the normal version of WinPic and not Winpic800. - might be wise to un-install the 800 version first
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Aug 24, 2006, 07:41 AM
Greece
Joined Apr 2004
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam
Hi,

It gives those errors if you do a Quick build - but if you assemble the asm file it works OK i.e. set up a project with these files, right click on the .asm file and click assemble.

I have 7.41 (I think it might be related to the fact that it can't find out where the correct build tools are as it tries to use the paths that Malc / Mark used)

Cheers,
Thank you my friend you were absolutely right.
Did as you say and everything is OK now, Thanks.
(also tried and openned MArk's .mcp file and MPLAB IDE found the different project path and suggested the corect one and everything was OK
bitmaniac is offline Find More Posts by bitmaniac
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:36 PM
Marysville, WA USA
Joined Dec 2004
5 Posts
Program PIC18F2550 successful

Thanks for all the replies , Special thanks to Norman Adlam (dunno if the voltage on the serial port is a bit low..) It was the serial port voltage going low during the programming. I moved my programmer to another computer and everything worked. This is Great Thanks ...Mikromike
Old Aug 29, 2006, 06:25 PM
Marysville, WA USA
Joined Dec 2004
5 Posts
Calibration for Sim

Ok now that I have the RCJoy NG2 working and calibrated in windows XP control panel, how do I configure it for FMS Ver 2.0 Alpha 8.5 or is there another flight sim the group uses? ...Mikromike
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:13 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,383 Posts
Mikromike,

Just select Controls -> Analog -> Joystick Interface -> Mapping / Calibration to set up the RCJoy for FMS.

Yup - FMS is used quite a lot - unless you have Trueflight, Realflight G2 and Reflex as well! (Well, you can't have tooooo many toys )

Cheers,
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Sep 04, 2006, 07:42 PM
Marysville, WA USA
Joined Dec 2004
5 Posts
Thanks Norman Adlam , Apparently Iím having computer issues .. I installed FMS on another computer and again everything worked Ö.Mikromike
Old Sep 06, 2006, 10:57 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Wow.. just noticed that the moderators have given me the ability to moderate this thread.

I don't have the ability to move posts, just to delete, and I'll try not to use it unless I feel I really must. One thing I would ask, is that we try to keep this thread on topic. For example we discuss issues with the download files, using the interfaces with various sims or compiling etc.

Anyone requiring help with converting TX's with no trainer ports, general PIC programming questions or general electronics stuff should really start their own threads, thus keeping this thread on topic. Hope you all agree
Old Sep 06, 2006, 08:17 PM
Joined Jun 2006
8 Posts
I'm sorry

and thank you so much for your awnser.
kubing is offline Find More Posts by kubing
Old Sep 12, 2006, 03:11 AM
Firenze/Perugia, Italy
Joined Feb 2005
82 Posts
RC Joystick NG^2

for those who are interested in our little project of an RC to USB interface...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568806

ciao
alessio e andrea
alessio70 is offline Find More Posts by alessio70
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:28 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
I have tried Alessio and Andrea's interface, and I really like it. I have a 18f2550 PIC programmed for Futaba and another for JR with M&M's code, and then a 18F2450 programmed with A and A's code. I have made two interfaces that can easily swap PICS for different needs. It is surely worth trying their code once you get your interface built.

Now if only we could get G3 to recognize these interfaces...
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:10 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
In theory it's not difficult to get the interface to emulate any of the inter-linked controllers such as G3, AFPD etc. You need to work out the protocol used, and then replicate it. However, as the protocol is part of the copy protection it is both illegal and un-ethical to do.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:32 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
True, that. It's a shame that companies must go to such extremes to protect their intellectual property. I would love to purchase a non-interlink version of G3 to use this controller interface with, but I see how that could be easily abused.

I guess the next logical question is, which simulator ARE you all using this interface with?

I have used it with FMS as a stepup from smartpropoplus, and it works TOO well. With almost no interferance, FMS is to unrealistic.

Clearview supports it, but has horrible lag on the ground, even on a P4 2.0 MHz with Radeon graphic card and 1 gig of Ram.

I think finding an older version of G2, non-interlink would be ideal.

Your thoughts/alternatives?
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:01 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Some sims like AFPD offer a two "player" option and I'm sure you can connect any seondry "windows joystick" interface via the interlink controller (never tried it myself).

As its very easy to get round software protection such as CD keys, serial numbers etc, most of the top end sims protect their property with a hardware "dongle" type interface. For this reason I doubt you will find any mainstream sim producer that allows the use of a standard windows joystick interface as a means of control