SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Malc C, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:20 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
When this thread was started (around 5 years ago) the commercial USB interface that allowed you to use your futaba / JR transmitter with any flight simulator that supported a standard windows joystick were around £50 ($85). Several member started to develop their own interfaces based on PIC micro's that had built in USB ports which had just appeared on the market at the time. This thread details it's progress in those early days, especially the original conversion of Allessio's 4+4 (4 analog + 4 digital channels) to 8 fully analog.

Has to this interface working with Saitek or other modern transmitters I'm sorry to say I can't help. The code was developed to support the then two standards of JR and Futaba pulse proportional signals, and it was tested using Futaba FF8 and JR x3810 transmitters. But now the market is flooded with RTF models that are packaged with their own transmitters which often do not use these standards, so there is no guarantee that it will work. The other factor is nowadays the market is saturated with commercial transmitter interfaces, with some costing less than $10, which is cheaper than the 18F2550 PIC micro, let alone the rest of the components.

Hope that helps clarify the subject of this thread. I can't understand why anyone would want to connect a joystick to a transmitter to control a real plane... isn't that what the sticks on the transmitter are for ??
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:44 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,424 Posts
If doing fpv its more immersive, and immersion is the key word in fpv..
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:53 PM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl View Post
...I remember having read more about the subject, and also having seen info about comercial products for that.
Just found another two threads about it:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167074
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419371
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:37 PM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2008
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl View Post
This one, for example, but I remember having read more about the subject, and also having seen info about comercial products for that.
I loved that system at first sight!..subscribed...(thanking you greatly)
gittarpikk is online now Find More Posts by gittarpikk
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:54 PM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2008
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C View Post
When this thread was started (around 5 years ago)
Hope that helps clarify the subject of this thread. I can't understand why anyone would want to connect a joystick to a transmitter to control a real plane... isn't that what the sticks on the transmitter are for ??
Thanks for the clarify

Ever flown serious FPV?... I think the term should be changed universally to "video pilot" as that is exactly what you are doing. I used to fly all 3 Combat Flight Sims from MS before they canned them (I cannot figure how they could legally advertise online gaming, sell you the games..and then can the severs) and loved the immersion effect of combat multiplayer.

I am now doing this with a pan and tilt cam on a special task design of mine you can see on youtube by searching for my username gittarpikk. I have made some new mods and have the cam panning and tilting with the rudder and the elev and with a wide angle lens on the FPV cam , I can chase and stay on the tail of most any plane now...and video exactly what am seeing on the dvr (also panned and tilted).

I am now looking to set up a joysick (prefer my saitek) controlling the transmitter (Futaba 6XA) and will be moving up from a 7 and 9 inch dvd screen to about a 17 inch tv monitor and wil be seated at a table rather than in a foldout chair like I am now. (Gives me somewhere to mount a 72 MHZ horizontal dipole antenna)

Later , me and my FPV buddy will be flying wings similar to the Assasin and the Widowmaker, (Both EPP) for full contact combat...with FPV and DVR ..

So as Emmeril sez...BAM, let's "kick it up a notch"! We're gonna "do it"

We found the right antennas that allow us to turn and bank with impunity all over the field and have zero interference (multipath)

We're already having a blast
gittarpikk is online now Find More Posts by gittarpikk
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:32 PM
ysb
use the force..or a quadcopter
quebec
Joined Dec 2010
247 Posts
you can use this one...

EDIT : sorry, link already given..
ysb is offline Find More Posts by ysb
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:11 PM
Canada, AB, Coronation
Joined Jun 2010
464 Posts
Quote:
I can't understand why anyone would want to connect a joystick to a transmitter to control a real plane... isn't that what the sticks on the transmitter are for ??
Malc,

We have a flyer in our club that has only one arm, a joystick that has all of the controls on the handle would be a godsend. The Wingman comes pretty close to what he needs to fly more than 3 channels. - pretty good crossover really.
russ_hillis is offline Find More Posts by russ_hillis
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:39 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_hillis View Post
Malc,

We have a flyer in our club that has only one arm, a joystick that has all of the controls on the handle would be a godsend. The Wingman comes pretty close to what he needs to fly more than 3 channels. - pretty good crossover really.
That's a good enough reason
Old Jul 06, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Aug 2007
314 Posts
Hi all,

I wasn't aware of the existance of this post (unfortunately for me !).

I have thus designed my own board based on PIC 18F4550

Here is the schema (pcb joined in the zip file)

I must say that it works very well up to 6 channels

functionalities include :
- PPM inputs
- up to 6 channels RX (servo output) inputs
- calibration of stick and mem/clear of the stick centering

I have modified the firmware to handle 8 channels and it works for a windows joystick

but it is not seen by any of the flight simulators I have tested as it seems that they only recognize 6 channels double joysticks...

example on FMS where only 6 channels work well

I will have to modify the C code of my firmware to add a second Entry Point to handle a second joystick on the same usb... but it doesn't seem to be easy (at least for me...) usb descriptors being somehow tricky to understand ...

All the project including source is available here : http://freedom2000.free.fr/JP_PPM2Jo...h_Joystick.zip

Any help would be appreciated !!!

JP
freedom2000 is offline Find More Posts by freedom2000
Old Jul 06, 2011, 04:56 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Thanks for your input.... I was going to PM you and suggest that you start your own thread... but then as it's basically on the same subject and this is a sticky, it deserves to remain

Sorry I can't help as I don't program in C... I'm sure someone will pop along and offer suggestions, ideally via PM as I would like to keep the thread clear. Once you have resolved the channel issue please feel free to update the thread on your progress
Old Jul 06, 2011, 05:03 PM
Joined Aug 2007
314 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your input.... I was going to PM you and suggest that you start your own thread... but then as it's basically on the same subject and this is a sticky, it deserves to remain
Thanks to you Malc !

I'll do my best to keep this good post clean

JP
Old Jul 09, 2011, 12:10 PM
Joined Aug 2007
314 Posts
I have found the solution while crawling in microchip's forum

It's rather tricky, but following the USB specs it works

I have now a double 8 channels joystick, recognized by FMS as a dual 6 channels.

JP
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:24 AM
Japan
Joined Mar 2004
176 Posts
Forgot to upload eagle files

Hi,
I have just found I missed to upload eagle files.
lovefool is offline Find More Posts by lovefool
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:54 AM
Japan
Joined Mar 2004
176 Posts
Freedom,
which OS are you using ? Does your program work at Vista or Win7 as well?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom2000 View Post
I have found the solution while crawling in microchip's forum

It's rather tricky, but following the USB specs it works

I have now a double 8 channels joystick, recognized by FMS as a dual 6 channels.

JP
lovefool is offline Find More Posts by lovefool