HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Malc C, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 11:47 AM
Vozdushno Desantnie Voiska
Croatia
Joined Jun 2010
117 Posts
oh, it's cool man, no hard feelings , i still might learn something from this topic , keep up the good work
specnaz is offline Find More Posts by specnaz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:27 AM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Hi all I understand this is an old post but is this still the best 8ch usb interface to build??? I am just getting into this hobby with a trainer plane so could do with a lot of practice

I might have missed it but is there a Parts List any where?

Is the Hex file supplied in the zip file at the beginning of the thread the one for both transmitters?

Some links are dead which point to RC Joystick NG^2 has this now been put to rest?

Have read this thread and others links a bit over the last week but find info all over the place a bit confusing especially with being a new hobby so thanks for any help in advance

Malc C do you have any of them PCB's left?

Paul
incarpaul is offline Find More Posts by incarpaul
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:48 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
I still build one of these interfaces at least every 3 months or so, as I have several of the PCB's and it works great.

That's a shame about Alessio e Andrea's site going down. Maybe they broke up?

;(

You can see pretty much all the parts you need on the pcb image:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=826592
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:35 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by incarpaul View Post
Hi all I understand this is an old post but is this still the best 8ch usb interface to build??? I am just getting into this hobby with a trainer plane so could do with a lot of practice

I might have missed it but is there a Parts List any where?

Is the Hex file supplied in the zip file at the beginning of the thread the one for both transmitters?

Some links are dead which point to RC Joystick NG^2 has this now been put to rest?

Have read this thread and others links a bit over the last week but find info all over the place a bit confusing especially with being a new hobby so thanks for any help in advance

Malc C do you have any of them PCB's left?

Paul
Hi Paul,

Yes I still have some blank PCB's that Ash had made, and could possibly make up a kit of all the other parts apart from the PIC micro from my electronics project box. If you want one drop me a PM with your address and drop me 5 via paypal to cover cost of pack and posting (worldwide).

From memory the zip contains both versions of HEX.

You have to appreciate that this thread is some four / five years old, when USB interfaces of this caliber averaged 30 - 50. These days there are loads of USB interfaces, some less than $10, but they generally only map the first 4 channels - this gives you all 8 channels, all analogue so things like flaps, gear channels etc all work
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:12 PM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Hi Malc yes I did order a usb one that was under $10.00 and it does work well but only 4 channels hence the reason for posting here (like the idea of 8channels more things to fiddle with :-) ) unless it is possible to modify my 4ch fs-sm100 model I will take you up on that offer, need to speak with a mate coz he might want one aswell so will get back to you shortly.

Paul
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:27 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Paul,

Do you have the ability to program a PIC with the HEX code ?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:09 PM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
I'm positive my Willem will program them or I have a Picall programmer.
got me thinking now better go and check...........

***update***
Yeah Willem should be fine

Paul
Last edited by incarpaul; Nov 24, 2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:28 AM
Japan
Joined Mar 2004
173 Posts
Hi
one of my friends had a latest version 3.3.4 of rcjoystick. I am not sure I may post this file here or not....
lovefool is offline Find More Posts by lovefool
Old Dec 09, 2010, 11:32 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovefool View Post
Hi
I am not sure I may post this file here or not....
No problems in adding the code to this thread, after all it, at the time when this originally started we all worked together in developing this, from a basic low res 4ch interface through to a med res 8ch version, then Alleseo stepped up the game with this high res 16ch version. This then gives anyone who is still wanting to build their own RC USB interface lots of choices as to what version they want to build.

Nice find.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:55 AM
Japan
Joined Mar 2004
173 Posts
Older files in my backup ... version 3.2.0
The board files are old as well, but including EAGLE file, so you may update them by yourself.
lovefool is offline Find More Posts by lovefool
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:30 PM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Here we go again

I built the rcjoystick 3.3.4 from zip file above but having problems getting it to work..... (I think the pic programed ok ) I plugged it in and it found the hid devices, I get the two joysticks under game controllers but they wont respond to the transmitter won't calibrate......

I can set_assignments and receive get_assignments through USB
but still no joy working.

Not sure what to try next?

anyone with this working can point in right direction?

Cheers Paul
Old Jan 08, 2011, 05:42 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Paul, I'm assuming you are using the 18F2550, so you can constantly flash it over and over again. I would therefore suggest you try other versions of the code (possibly even the original at the start of this thread) to see if the TX pulse strain is picked up.

The fact that the PC is seeing the device, and you get the joysticks under game controllers suggest the PIC has been programmed correctly, and that it's running, so this points to the incoming PPM signals. You don't mention what transmitter you are using. Bear in mind that this thread originated around 6 years ago and a lot of the RTF models that are bundled with their own TX's didn't start appearing to well after this time. I think some of the NCJoy versions that Alessio & Andrea developed included settings for early Walkera transmitters that used a non standard protocol, so it migh work if you are using such a transmitter. Alternatively see if a friend has a bog standard old Futaba or JR transmitter, or double check that a signal strain is coming in from the TX using a windows oscilloscope and a sound card
Old Jan 08, 2011, 06:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Hi Malc seems your the regular helper around here

Yes was a 18f2550 and I am using a Futaba FF8 on PPM
I had already used this transmitter with a audio cable setup like you mentioned, used the same cable for the rcjoystick just cut the audio
plug of the end. Your right sounds like no PPM, the LED is not
flashing at all and I read this will only flash when receiving info from transmitter.

So even though the pcb was from a different project (rcjoy NG2) I can still use the HEX from the first post?

Paul
Old Jan 09, 2011, 05:16 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by incarpaul View Post
Hi Malc seems your the regular helper around here

So even though the pcb was from a different project (rcjoy NG2) I can still use the HEX from the first post?

Paul

LOL - I try

The PCB layout in the code Mark and I worked on is not suitable for the NG2 HEX that Alessio wrote. They used a different pin (RB5) to drive the LED, so if you are using their PCB with our original code then the LED won't pulse. If you use our original code try placing the LED (with resistor) between RB6 and GND to see if you get a pulse with the TX connected.

The FF8, being of the same generation as our transmitters when developing the original code in the first posts should be fine for use with the hex contained in this thread.

Other than that I'm some what stumped... as Telemachus mentioned, even after all these years people are still making these interfaces up and they have no problems. The only suggestion I can make is to breadbaord the schematic for our original code (note the comments on the USB data lines in post #12), load the original code and see if that works.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C View Post
LOL - I try

The PCB layout in the code Mark and I worked on is not suitable for the NG2 HEX that Alessio wrote. They used a different pin (RB5) to drive the LED, so if you are using their PCB with our original code then the LED won't pulse. If you use our original code try placing the LED (with resistor) between RB6 and GND to see if you get a pulse with the TX connected.

Other than that I'm some what stumped... as Telemachus mentioned, even after all these years people are still making these interfaces up and they have no problems. The only suggestion I can make is to breadbaord the schematic for our original code (note the comments on the USB data lines in post #12), load the original code and see if that works.
Malc I'm only using Alessio hex and board, I have read post 12 over again but because I can change the get and set_assignments then I assume the USB is ok but Have I set the correct assignment for my controller????

I believe you just change the number at the bottom of set_assignments.txt for what configurations you require like:
TableSelect

Malc can you have a quick peep at my programmer config just incase it is "programmer related" I have attached a pic of settings

Thanks for your help again