HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:17 AM
Pretoria, RSA - 35MHz
Joined Apr 2006
27 Posts
Discussion
Noob question on jargon

I've just read the review on Hyperion's Yak-54 and the author says "...so be sure to use some expo on all of the surfaces for that first flight...".

Can somebody explain what "expo" is, please? He goes on to say, "...I prefer 30% expo on low rates, and 70% on the higher 3D rates..."
EchoZuluRomeo is offline Find More Posts by EchoZuluRomeo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2006, 09:22 AM
Joined Apr 2006
923 Posts
Exponential is a programmable setting in a nice computer radio transmitter that makes the airplane a little less twichy and easier to keep steady (less prone to overcontrol). The way it works is a little technical and if I tried to explain it, it would be corrected by numerous other posters, so I will leave it up to them to add more detail if they want.
Barry2 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2
Old Apr 21, 2006, 09:30 AM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2
Exponential is a programmable setting in a nice computer radio transmitter that makes the airplane a little less twichy and easier to keep steady (less prone to overcontrol). The way it works is a little technical and if I tried to explain it, it would be corrected by numerous other posters, so I will leave it up to them to add more detail if they want.
Certainly not correcting, just expanding. Exponential controll means that the control surface will not move linearly with the stick. Positive expo means that small throws on the stick around neutral move the control surfaces a great deal, negative exponential means small throws around neutral move the control surface very little. I typically use some negative expo in my TX for all my models. Just makes it a bit more sluggish around neutral for my heavy thumbs. Full throw on the stick is allways max deflection regardless if expo is + or -. Expo comes from 'exponential curve'
hope that helps
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Apr 21, 2006, 09:33 AM
fly more...build less
Calgary AB
Joined Mar 2005
153 Posts
Exponential is a function on computer radios that allows you to move the control stick half way and have the actual control surface move less than half way.

The percent entered determines how much less the control surface moves compared to the transmitter stick.

BTW when you move the stick to full the control surface moves to full too.

I am sort of oversimplifying.
flossandfly is offline Find More Posts by flossandfly
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:37 AM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Expo and more at http://www.futaba-rc.com/glossary.html
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Apr 24, 2006, 05:58 AM
Pretoria, RSA - 35MHz
Joined Apr 2006
27 Posts
Ok, I got it! Thanks!

Next question: can somebody explain the differences between pattern flying and 3D?
Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:24 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
AFAIK, pattern flying is doing a specific set of recognized manoevers - Cuban 8's, Immelmanns, etc. 3D is free form.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:52 PM
Joined Apr 2006
923 Posts
Yes, and much of 3D is done at full stall, hanging from the prop thrust, or at extremely high alpha. Stuff that you are not likely to see a real airplane do. The hover is the classic example, and executing a loop while flying in knife edge is another. The difference is sometimes described as flying on the prop vs. flying on the wing.
Barry2 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2
Old Apr 24, 2006, 01:35 PM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoZuluRomeo
can somebody explain the differences between pattern flying and 3D?
Night/Day, man/woman, catsup/mustard....

Pattern involves flying through a series of pre-determined maneuvers. The judges look for how precisely youve done it and score you accordingly.

3D involves very little flying and an astounding amount of flips, rolls, tumbles and hovering. 3D competitions are typically indoors because the planes really dont travel very far.
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:57 AM
Pretoria, RSA - 35MHz
Joined Apr 2006
27 Posts
Thank you all so much for your input!

I've seen quite a few shock-flyers do all that hovering stuff which, personally, doesn't really appeal to me. Now that I understand what the official terminology is, I'd say I'm more interested in pattern flying.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:03 AM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
http://www.nsrca.org/d7/practice.htm has the majority of patterns AND videos so you can see what they are and how they are done! Pretty cool.