HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mharms, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:38 AM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
Discussion
Plane 0, Ticks 1

This afternoon I took my little 15 inch flying wing to Rancho San Antonio. Flew there yesterday and it was a blast. This plane is the replacement for the one I lost at RSA in February. Similar design, but flies even better. Anyway, it was kind of crowded today, and I ended up flying where the setting sun was in my eyes a lot. I was doing fine, and doing loops at high altitude -- pretty much above, or to the side of, the sun. Came out of one loop a little sidways and spiralled down -- right into the sun. I got a glimpse of it leveling out, but then I lost it in the glare. The plane went below the edge of the hill and (must have) landed down in the meadow.

No problem, I thought; it should be easy to find. So I went to the edge of the hill and looked down at the meadow. Couldn't see anything, but I was pretty sure about where to search. So I headed down the hill and as I got into the meadow, realized: "Oh, cr#p, this grass is pretty tall". I was hoping that it landed rightside up, so I would see the white top side. Otherwise, the dark bottom side would be hard to see in the diminishing light. Still, I was optimistic.

Well, to make a long story short(er) -- I couldn't find it. I tried using my TX to rev the motor (hoping to hear it), but its a quiet little motor/prop and I heard nothing. I looked until it got too dark and the park was closing. I'm going to head out there in the morning to see if I can find it. Its so frustrating to know the general location, but not be able to find it. At least my name's on this one.

Picked up some ticks during my search. One started crawling on the back of my hand while I drove home. Almost drove into the curb while I tried to fling him out the window. Those things creep me out with all the Lyme disease going around. When I got home, I stripped off all my clothes in the garage and put them in the dryer. Hopefully the heat will kill any ticks. Sprayed my boots with bug spray. Took a hot shower. Like I said, ticks creep me out.

Hope I find my plane tomorrow... but I'm going to put on some DEET first.

Mark
mharms is offline Find More Posts by mharms
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:34 AM
Vaulnaveys-le-bas, France
Joined Apr 2005
745 Posts
Hope you'll find it. I lost mine in a similar fashion last week-end, but was very lucky to find it back within 15 minutes.
marckossa is offline Find More Posts by marckossa
Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:52 AM
The dude...
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
758 Posts
I'll probably end up at RSA in the am tomorrow, so if I see it I'll avoid the ticks and grab it for ya and let you know.

Glad to know that the ticks are there - picked one up last year, so I'll have to keep my eyes out and do a search when I leave...

Jason
Henna_Ojisan is offline Find More Posts by Henna_Ojisan
Old Apr 22, 2006, 02:41 AM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
marckossa and Jason,

Thanks for the support! I got lucky and found my plane today.

Mark
mharms is offline Find More Posts by mharms