SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2001, 11:17 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,811 Posts
Bungee setups for light edf's?

Had my first a-10 flight today, see results at http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum6/HTML/001969.html and although I do OK handlaunching my simple 400 and others, I have a problem with my shoulder that is not going to allow me to handlaunch this thing, and I had rather bungee than bug a buddy every time, plus I fly alone quite a bit.

Anyway, what kind of material, and how much line and bungee material would I need to launch a 16.5oz Dare A-10? And, what will be needed for a towhook in the nose?

Thanks in advance,

David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2001, 06:49 AM
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Joined Nov 2000
667 Posts
Greetings -

Take a look at: http://www.skybench.com/ and click on high starts. Ray sells the rubber only and I would recommend the rubber meant for under two meter size sailplanes. There's enough rubber there for a couple of launchers the way we would use it and the price and quality are quite good. You could possibly use a single piece for models the size of the A-10 and double it for larger models.

BTW - nice model!

Fly Fast! Mark
Mark Nankivil is offline Find More Posts by Mark Nankivil
Old Jul 30, 2001, 11:36 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,430 Posts
I'm flying a 16 oz. twin EDF, and also looked far and wide for a light weight and not too expensive bungee material.

Finally found some latex(like) tubing at my LHS; its from the chemistry set area and by "Pefect", the guys who usta do some C/L 1/2A tanks and stuff.

I think the roll cost $11 and is about 15' long w/OD of about 1/4" and thin wall.

Stetch is to 2.5 times ad have about 7' of nylon cord.

Works great!
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jul 30, 2001, 10:10 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,811 Posts
Hi guys,

I ordered some 1/8" ID, 1/32" wall surgical tubing from a local med supply today. When they get it in, I will be able to look at it, get a feel for the stretch/power, and either buy the whole spool, or by the yard. JRB, this sounds about like what you have.

Now, what about the hook?
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2001, 10:55 AM
O'Fallon, MO USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,416 Posts
David,
After having three not so pretty hand launches with my Mirage pusher, I decided to add a launch hook and use my pedal launcher. Boy what a pleasure now to get a good launch. I used some of the 2M size rubber and limited my pull to about 1/2 to 2/3 of what I use for the T-33. The best would be to get a fish scale and pace off for 3-5 lbs. of pull. With the high lift A-10 wing you shouldn't need more than 3 or 4 G's of pull.
For mounting a hook: I made up an 5" tall "H" shaped piece to mount the hook. The vericals are .070 carbon rods and the horizontal is 3/4" wide 1/16" ply with a second 1/16" doubler right where the hook screws in. The hook was a small L-hook from Home Depot. The rods were glued to the ply center with epoxy and a couple layers of 3/4 oz. fiberglass. I cut some slots in the foam Mirage and epoxied to H flat to the bottom. To spread the load more over the foam I added four 1" square 3/4 oz. fiberglass patches over the carbon rods.
Good Luck,
Brad
byoung is offline Find More Posts by byoung