HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:10 PM
United States, IN, Avon
Joined Feb 2005
182 Posts
Discussion
Victor Models V32 Build Thread

This will be my V32 build thread. I welcome any comments you have. Don't hold back its my first r/c sailboat and I could use lots of advice. I want a good looking competitive boat that meets the rules.

http://www.victor-model.com/v32.html

In my preparation for the build I would like to know what adhesives as well as paints/prep and finishing techniques you suggest for this build. Also what sail servo would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
vupilot is offline Find More Posts by vupilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:18 AM
Joined Nov 2005
80 Posts
My guess is you'll need a Two Part Epoxy and CA.

Futuba 3801 is a good sail servo...should be more than enough power for your needs.

All the Best w/ your build,
bill II
bill II is offline Find More Posts by bill II
Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:50 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Cool! For general building tips, glues, etc., you may refer to the soling 1 meter resouce page (I think there is a link on the Victor Models Homepage) for specifics about the V32, stay tuned!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:31 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
vupilot,
I think 'Bill II' pretty well summed it up. Epoxy and CA will handle anything you're liable to run into. The epoxy for the keel 'box' and CA for all the rest will work just fine, it did on mine. The only thing I would NOT recommend is using any type of expanding glue to hold the keel weight (bird shot). You wouldn't believe the mess that can/will cause! As in, I was still cleaning drips and dribbles that had oozed out several days after I ~thought~ I had finished. If you wait long enough it really does eventually quit, but it'll seem like forever...
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:26 PM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vupilot
This will be my V32 build thread. I welcome any comments you have. Don't hold back its my first r/c sailboat and I could use lots of advice. I want a good looking competitive boat that meets the rules.

http://www.victor-model.com/v32.html

In my preparation for the build I would like to know what adhesives as well as paints/prep and finishing techniques you suggest for this build. Also what sail servo would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Chris...I took lots of photos for the three V-32's that I built. Rather than clog your thread, I'll make my own in a moment. Once I get it started, I'll post a link here.

The Victor V-32 plans are pretty specific on adhesives to use and methods. You'll see when you get your kit. I found rigging to be the hardest part for a first timer. By the time I got to the third boat, I had it figured out!
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:48 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,006 Posts
Another Build Thread...

Here's the link I mentioned. LOTS AND LOTS of pictures of V-32's being built!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...36#post5360557

Scott
Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:12 PM
United States, IN, Avon
Joined Feb 2005
182 Posts
I got my kit yesterday and I have the keel halves together and the rudder halves together. Building the keel trunk now.

Scott, Before I glue the keel trunk half together did yours require any trimming to allow the keel to fit in the keel trunk properly? I think I will have to trim the shims inside the trunk on an angle to match the keel fit and allow the screw protrude through the top. Does this sound correct? The pictures in the instructions do not show the shims trimmed at an angle.

Thanks, Chris
Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:30 PM
United States, IN, Avon
Joined Feb 2005
182 Posts
I am now working on the hull. I had to trim the deck beams a couple 1/16th's to come out on the width that the plans indicate. I'll add pictures when i get some time.

Chris
Old Apr 24, 2006, 01:58 PM
United States, IN, Avon
Joined Feb 2005
182 Posts
The build is going quickly and I need to get a radio soon. towerhobbies has a Futaba 2DR AM radio with a 152 oz/in sail servo and one standard servo for about 89$

My question is will I have problems with an AM band radio??? should I go with something else or is this a good deal? I plan to race with about 20 other boats and do not want to have radio issues.

Thanks,
Chris
Old Apr 24, 2006, 02:08 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,006 Posts
Quote:
I got my kit yesterday and I have the keel halves together and the rudder halves together. Building the keel trunk now.

Scott, Before I glue the keel trunk half together did yours require any trimming to allow the keel to fit in the keel trunk properly? I think I will have to trim the shims inside the trunk on an angle to match the keel fit and allow the screw protrude through the top. Does this sound correct? The pictures in the instructions do not show the shims trimmed at an angle.

Thanks, Chris
Yes, mine was off a little. Not much. The wooden part needed a little sanding to get it to slide all the way in and nestle well against the hull. I didn't try to get a perfect fit, just close.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 02:13 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,006 Posts
Quote:
I am now working on the hull. I had to trim the deck beams a couple 1/16th's to come out on the width that the plans indicate. I'll add pictures when i get some time.

Chris
Yes, mine too. Since their dimensions were so specific, I really paid close attention to them. For instance, I had to re-make the stainless steel wires on the first one I did. I was off on the length by about 1/8" and that was too much! It needs to be dead on for those side stays.

Now, that being said, I've seen several guys use control horn links instead. See attached picture. This is not my boat, but a picture I got off the internet...
Old Apr 24, 2006, 02:18 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,006 Posts
Quote:
The build is going quickly and I need to get a radio soon. towerhobbies has a Futaba 2DR AM radio with a 152 oz/in sail servo and one standard servo for about 89$

My question is will I have problems with an AM band radio??? should I go with something else or is this a good deal? I plan to race with about 20 other boats and do not want to have radio issues.

Thanks,
Chris
I was able to do a little better on $ by purchasing the following for $67. I've had great performance out of HiTec servos on planes, so I purchased their servo with 152 oz of torque:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGLN4&P=0

Then, I purchased the Futaba Radio with 2 regular servos:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGRM7**&P=0

That gave me an extra servo, and plenty of power through the HiTec servo for LESS money.

I've not had any interference with the (3) Futaba DR's that I purchased on AM. The price is right and they are not way out of sight like a airplane radio would have to perform to that level. I did remove the rachet from mine after receiving them on the throttle stick. That's the stick that lets in an out the sail on the sailboat set up.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 07:17 PM
United States, IN, Avon
Joined Feb 2005
182 Posts
My wallet thanks you Scott.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 04:31 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,006 Posts
Quote:
My wallet thanks you Scott.
I've learned to make my hobby stash go as far as possible! Cheaper and an extra servo for the future to boot!

Here's another picture from yesterday... !
Old Apr 25, 2006, 05:33 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Looks nice!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded