HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2006, 09:09 PM
EPP Killer
Huntsville, TX
Joined Mar 2006
274 Posts
Discussion
problem with the Spektrum DX6

let me start by saying I LOVE my DX6. I tried to read all the other DX6 threads but after about 50 or so pages I had crossed eyes . Anyway, on to my problem:
As long as I turn the Tx on first, I have no problems. But, if I forget and hook the battery in my plane up and turn it on first, the ESC will beep but the plane will not respond. It seems like there is nothing I can do to get it to respond...I turn the reciever off and on, turn the plane off and on, unplug the battery and plug it back in etc. If I let it sit for an unspecified period of time, turn the Tx on first then plug the battery in the plane and turn it on, then everything works. This has happened 2 times in the 3 weeks I have had the DX6. I am a newb at this hobby but not at electronics. The first time it happened was when I first bought it and took it to the LHS to make sure I had everything set right. The owner plugged the battery in first and couldnt get the plane to respond and didn't know what to do...let the plane sit and tried later and everything fired up fine.

Sorry this is so long, just tried to explain everything in hopes someone has an answer.
RC-newbie is offline Find More Posts by RC-newbie
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:57 AM
gws-online-dealer
Winterthur, Switzerland
Joined Jan 2006
591 Posts
Hmm... Sounds more like the problem is caused by the ESC....

In fact itīs not a "real problem" since you should turn on the transmitter first anyway...

Regards, Sven
gws-rc-models.ch is offline Find More Posts by gws-rc-models.ch
Old Apr 20, 2006, 06:46 AM
EPP Killer
Huntsville, TX
Joined Mar 2006
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gws-rc-models.ch
In fact itīs not a "real problem" since you should turn on the transmitter first anyway...

Yes, I realize this...but I am still new and sometimes get a little excited
Old Apr 20, 2006, 07:24 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Yeah, I almost do this plug the batt. in before turning on the TX thing alot. It comes from my old days of having an on-off switch on my planes so Im still somewhat unaccustomed to this.
But, it is the oldest and most important rule in R/C to always turn on TX first, and reciver second. It's the simple fact that you never want your reciever powered up without a signal being transmitted to it.

In the case of our electrics, with the modern speed controls they must have a signal from the TX. as soon as they are energized so that the throttle position is sensed right away.The speed control requires this to arm itself, otherwise it will not if it doesnt sense any throttle signal as it powers up.
It's one of it's safety features to protect us from the motor starting up as soon as the speed control is powered up.

Hehe, sorta the speed controls way of saying that you messed up, do it over again, and this time right.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Apr 20, 2006, 07:36 PM
Indian Land, SC
Joined Dec 2005
401 Posts
Not true for the DX-6. With the transmitter off, there will be no throttle signal. The reciver will not accept ANY signal or interfearance except from the transmitter it is bound to. In my 6 planes, there is servo centering only, No twitch,glitch,or noise. Another great thing about having a DX-6.
one2lose is offline Find More Posts by one2lose
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:28 AM
EPP Killer
Huntsville, TX
Joined Mar 2006
274 Posts
thanks guys...like I said, I am still new to this and stepped right into this 2.4 technology. This is my first radio and I really do like it, I just need to get used to it. On further inspection, I found a loose connection between the ESC and Rx which could have contributed to my problem...I will keep you all posted.