Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:07 PM
It's the Water!
Olympia, WA
Joined Apr 2005
90 Posts
Discussion
VMar Bird Dog

Hey guys,
I have a couple of questions and thought I'd throw them out here before making any decisions.

Looking down the road a bit at my next airplane I have seen both the Hobby Lobby Bird Dog and the VMar Bird Dog. I wanted a semi-scale high wing parkflyer that is relatively easy to build and fly. Now I've done some searching here and at wattflyer to see if I can find any information about the differences in these two kits. My understanding is that the HL BD was converted from a glow kit and is less of a floater than the VMar BD. I've also read that folks seem to think the VMar BD generally flies better.

Aside from them both being ARF's and the longer wingspan in the VMar kit, I'm looking for any information about flight characteristics from those who own the VMar model? What are people running in this kit as far as the motor, ESC and batteries go?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
NWarty is offline Find More Posts by NWarty
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:07 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2003
281 Posts
I have other Vmar planes and they are put together very well, I have the Subaru and I am very happy with it. They are roughly the same size, it flies very well and I like the covering job. I have an AXI 2212/26 which is what HL recommends for theirs, I think that motor is really good, you can play with the prop size and make it fit a lot of different applications. Also is cheaper than HL's L19.
enrique1123 is offline Find More Posts by enrique1123
Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:24 PM
It's the Water!
Olympia, WA
Joined Apr 2005
90 Posts
Enrique,
Thanks for the reply. As for the ESC, I'm looking to put in a Castle 25amp job and possibly running 3-cell 2100 lipos. We'll see, I'm still doing some research but the VMar looks like a very attractive bird because of the price.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:53 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2003
281 Posts
I am using the CC 25 and Apogee 20 3 cell 2000 mah battery, I don't think you will be disappinted.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:13 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Do you have a link to the Vmar bird dog? I'd like to have a look at it.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:26 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2003
281 Posts
http://www.richmondrc.com/frameset.htm there you go.
Old May 03, 2006, 12:38 PM
It's the Water!
Olympia, WA
Joined Apr 2005
90 Posts
Well guys,
Got my little VMar BD last night and I'm pretty impressed thus far. All of the parts were bagged in clear plastic with the hardware contained in individual ziploc bags. I didn't find any wrinkles in the covering on the fuse, wings and control surfaces. All surfaces are already hinged and rods pre-installed. Very nicely packaged.

I just test fit all the pieces as seen in the pic below to get an idea of what she'll look like (minus the wing struts). The electronics are finalized and the BD will run on the Vmar brushless motor, 3-cell 2100 mah lipos, Castle 25amp ESC and Spektrum DX6 with sub-micros.

All in all, I love the little Dog thus far and building commences this evening
Old May 03, 2006, 01:59 PM
Too little play time...
South Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
1,500 Posts
I was not familiar with the VMAr build... $79! And here I have been waiting for the HL plane to be reduced in price!
WarrrEagle! is offline Find More Posts by WarrrEagle!
Old May 03, 2006, 02:36 PM
It's the Water!
Olympia, WA
Joined Apr 2005
90 Posts
WE,
Yeah that's what really attracted me to the VMar BD. Pretty impressive what you get considering the price.
Old May 03, 2006, 03:22 PM
Too little play time...
South Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
1,500 Posts
A couple of questions, NW...

I assume it does have tail wheel steering?

It does not have gear strut covers? Easy enough to build...

Could you post more pics? Some detail stuff? Linkages, gear, servo tray, etc...

What did the shipping run you?

Thanks!
WarrrEagle! is offline Find More Posts by WarrrEagle!
Last edited by WarrrEagle!; May 03, 2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old May 03, 2006, 03:49 PM
It's the Water!
Olympia, WA
Joined Apr 2005
90 Posts
WE,
I want to say that it does have tail wheel steering but I need to go back and look as I didn't install it last night. No, it does not have landing gear struts but I'll end up building my own. The fit of the parts is very nice even though the battery cover is a tight fit next to the landing gear. The wingspar fits nicely as do the stab and rudder.

Shipping was UPS and $ 12.50. I got mine pretty quick as it was coming out of BC, Canada.

I'll absolutely take some more pics for you guys tonight!
Old May 03, 2006, 05:26 PM
Farnborough, Hampshire, England.
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
MY Club mate has one, ......and it's been flown to death!
Motor cowl has cracked, and there are no spares in the UK........but at 44 its a steal.
Flys very well on a basic small outrunner and a 9 inch prop on 2 cell or 3 cell lipo.

The grey one is not good for the overcast sky, but the one you have looks nice,
We are awaiting the 3rd model in the range, I understand the new models have a pilot.

We changed the very small wheels for more scale size.

You will like it a lot, but if you can get a spare cowl, or make a copy of the kit part, it will give you loads of fun.
Ian
farnboro flyer is offline Find More Posts by farnboro flyer
Old May 03, 2006, 05:37 PM
It's the Water!
Olympia, WA
Joined Apr 2005
90 Posts
Ian,
Thank you for replying as I spoken with only a handful of folks that actually have them so I was happy to hear that they fly very well. I was also happy to see that richmondrc also carries spare parts for the BD May I ask what type of aftermarklet wheels did you put on?

Yes mine came with a pilot. He's pretty basic but I'll end up repainting him and give him a headset.

Well, I had to get the "Army" bird. Being a ground pounder and flying an Airforce bird just didn't seem right!

Blake
Old May 03, 2006, 07:31 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2003
281 Posts
I am glad you got yours in, I finally broke down and ordered my BD, I have been very happy with their products in the past. You will do well.
Old May 03, 2006, 10:55 PM
It's the Water!
Olympia, WA
Joined Apr 2005
90 Posts
WE,
Here are some shots I took this evening. Please let me know if you want something specific. Cheers!

Blake