HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2006, 01:13 PM
Planes, need more planes
United States, MO, Chesterfield
Joined Feb 2006
868 Posts
Discussion
F-101 Voodoo

My next project is going to be a 30" W.S. F-101A Voodoo. I was at the armament musuem at Eglin AFB getting some photos for my F-4 and discovered they have a F-101 out back right next to the starfighter. After looking her over I thought the voodoo would make a good canidate for my next park jet. Plenty of wing area, the shape of the fuselage would lend itself well to the box type construction method to which we have all grown accustomed.

I would like to make the plans available, in this string , however they need to be drawn. I need some advise on which programs would work on my OS 10.2 Mac.
flyguide7 is offline Find More Posts by flyguide7
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2006, 02:48 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,467 Posts
ive always liked voodoo's...so lets get crackin!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Apr 19, 2006, 03:38 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,765 Posts
this is gonna be great! flyguide, any way of getting to work on a pc? if you can, you can get turbocad learning edition for free. it is what i started my CAD designs on. i believe dcobra used it for his f-117 as well. easy enough to use program. but best of all, the learning edition is free! dunno any mac software, though i'm sure there are plenty of good mac CAD programs as well.
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Apr 19, 2006, 04:51 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Hey Fly,

Sweet, this jet looks really nice! I''ve actually never even heard of it, it looks really sleek and fast though! Have you guys ever seen the Isreali fighter called the Lavi? It's a pretty cool jet, it looks a little bit like a close cousin of the F-16. Anyway, good luck with the plans, I'll definitely be watching this one as it progresses!

As far as Mac CAD programs go, I found a neat page with some links to sites that contain a few. There are also links to some other PC ones as well, but anyway here it is:

http://www.venueweb.co.nz/abouts/acadprg.htm

Also, for quick reference, here is the first one on the list:

http://www.pure-mac.com/cad.html

Most of the programs that are listed on this site are pretty pricy, but a lot of them have free demos, so who knows, maybe you can get the entire design drawn up with a demo version of one of the programs!

Have fun!

-Matt
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Last edited by birdlives1955; Apr 19, 2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:38 PM
Planes, need more planes
Joined Feb 2006
868 Posts
I found two programs, one is MacDraft and the other is High Design. Each was a free demo, so I have 24 working Hours to get it right.
I was surprised how the tail feathers of the voodoo resemble the tail of the B-1B. With a 30" wingspan that should give me a fuse length of 54" or so. Sweet!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:43 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Go Man Go!! A Voodoo will be fantastic!!

Tom
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Apr 20, 2006, 07:05 AM
Planes, need more planes
Joined Feb 2006
868 Posts
Well boys, I should be close to being done with the plans by this evening, but I have had a couple of challenges to overcome one is solve the other is not.

Solved challenge: making the sideways "v" shaped ducts. I am going to score the backside of the foam on the foldline with my handy dremel tool with a 5/32" tunsten carbide bit and fold it and glue it into place.

Unsolved challenge: T-tail stabulator rigging, that is doing it cleanly. I will have to do some research.

Since I'm an old lead spinner and not a CAD guy my plans will probably be crude compared to some of the digital Rembrandts I have seen posted on these forums.

I settled with HighDesign 1.1.1, which seems to be easy enough to learn.
Monday morning I am going to get my plans printed out.
Monday evening, I plan on starting a build log for the Voodoo.
Last edited by flyguide7; Apr 20, 2006 at 07:11 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:37 PM
Planes, need more planes
Joined Feb 2006
868 Posts
Well, here we go. Here are the parts templates layed out on 2) 48" X 36" sheets. The layout drawing will not be done till next week. So I will post what I have so far. Of course as to the locations of servos, CG ETC. That has to be determined. I posted these as photoshop files. For lack of anything better.

I apollogize for the crude quality, But this is my first ever CAD project.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:41 PM
Planes, need more planes
Joined Feb 2006
868 Posts
I have to go out of town for a couple of days and wont be back until saturday evening, so I will not be able to respond to any questions, w/o an internet connection.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:31 PM
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Good luck on this one flyguide. I was actually thinking of tackling this platform in the summer

Ray
RSteel is offline Find More Posts by RSteel
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:43 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
I, for one, will be following this build with great excitement! I have built three of Canada's major jet fighters thanks to Steve Shumate and Le Phan but I keep staring at the ol' 101 that's on a pillar by our indoor flying facility with wonder.... (one-o-wonder actually...).

Keep up the good work, flyguide!

Jack
Action Jack is offline Find More Posts by Action Jack
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:49 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,609 Posts
We're all thinking along the same lines. Had this 3 view ready for about 8 months. Just can't get around to it. I'll be watching closely too. The Voodoo is a real sexy plane. Good luck.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:54 AM
AMA848091
St. Charles, MO.
Joined Apr 2003
493 Posts
flyguide7: Good luck on your F-101 build. I want to build the RF-101C model. I will watch your build and modify the nose section of the one I build.

Cecil
flying-inspecto is offline Find More Posts by flying-inspecto
Old Apr 21, 2006, 07:32 PM
Planes, need more planes
Joined Feb 2006
868 Posts
Let The Games BEGIN!

Back in the saddle. I got back early.Tomorrow I will start the build. I know how I am going to attach my canopy now, with these cool neodymium disc magnets I scored for 6 cents apeice. I bought 100 so I can retrofit all my birds and add cool stuff like missles and such.. I found them at www.gaussboys.com

SWEET

Now I have to outsource some silcone wire 16 ga. LHS get a fortune for the stuff.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 09:48 PM
AMA848091
St. Charles, MO.
Joined Apr 2003
493 Posts
flyguide7: I was trying to send you a zip file with a lot of F-101 info and pictures that might be of help to you. I am having a hard time getting it to attach.

Regards: Cecil
flying-inspecto is offline Find More Posts by flying-inspecto
Last edited by flying-inspecto; Apr 21, 2006 at 09:53 PM.