HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:48 PM
Registered User
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
992 Posts
Question
Raptor 90 E-conversion?

Just wondering if there is an electric conversion for the Raptor 90? I have a 90SE nitro but would like to do a second one electric. Thanks.
FHHOBBIES is offline Find More Posts by FHHOBBIES
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2006, 02:22 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2003
190 Posts
a raptor 50 conversion to electric costs about $400 in speed controller and motor. it takes about 10s lipos (37 volts) which costs like $400 minimum.
I would think a 90 would be too costly to convert !?
hpcre is offline Find More Posts by hpcre
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:34 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,009 Posts
I have had a Raptor 90 sitting around for aver a year waiting for a conversion kit to become available. I stopped flying it and sold the engine because of the very high fuel cost.

Once the ORK 1915 becomes available I think that a simple plate motor mount would work very well (something like the Raptor 30/50 uses).

Gary, what’s the possibility of making some Raptor 60/90 EP kits? There is obviously an interest in converting these helicopters. The stock Big Raptor is heavy but can easily be lightened for EP applications. With EP you don’t need all those lower frame stiffeners. Big Raptors are very nice smooth flying helicopters – it would definitely make a real sweet conversion. There are a lot of Raptor 60’s out there that you can get a real good deal on – just extend the tail for longer blades. This would be a lot less expensive than going the XeroG 700EP route.


RC
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:57 AM
Registered User
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
992 Posts
Expensive, yes! But wild! Same as Ion-X..
FHHOBBIES is offline Find More Posts by FHHOBBIES
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 08:11 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,009 Posts
Any ideas on some good motors that might work?
I think that the highest gear ratio available is 9.5:1.


RC
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:08 AM
Registered User
PJRono's Avatar
Ham Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2003
198 Posts
The Actro 32-3, same as the Ions?
PJRono is offline Find More Posts by PJRono
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:15 AM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
I have had a Raptor 90 sitting around for aver a year waiting for a conversion kit to become available. I stopped flying it and sold the engine because of the very high fuel cost.

Once the ORK 1915 becomes available I think that a simple plate motor mount would work very well (something like the Raptor 30/50 uses).

Gary, what’s the possibility of making some Raptor 60/90 EP kits? There is obviously an interest in converting these helicopters. The stock Big Raptor is heavy but can easily be lightened for EP applications. With EP you don’t need all those lower frame stiffeners. Big Raptors are very nice smooth flying helicopters – it would definitely make a real sweet conversion. There are a lot of Raptor 60’s out there that you can get a real good deal on – just extend the tail for longer blades. This would be a lot less expensive than going the XeroG 700EP route.


RC
I still have a Raptor 90 SE kit around here somewhere that I was going to use to do a conversion for, but back then we were still in the "box" days and it was such a heavy beast. Now, with the 1915s coming soon, and the bigger A50s and soon the A60s, I think we'll have decent power options. I'm not sure about packs, though. A 2p-4200 PL setup isn't going to cut it, but maybe something like a 12s setup of Charlie's new 4900 mAh 20-30C cells would work. That would keep the weight down. Maybe a 14s eMoli setup might work, but again we'll have to wait until we have more controller options.

In any case, it is certainly do-able. I'm not sure the simple plate would be the best solution, however, but it certainly would be the easiest. It would be nice to be able to get rid of the whole fan shroud portion, which is a lot of weight that could go away.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:57 PM
Registered User
Miami Fl/Santo.Dgo.
Joined Jun 2004
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum
but maybe something like a 12s setup of Charlie's new 4900 mAh 20-30C cells would work. That would keep the weight down.

-- Gary
Gary,

Do you know when these are going to be available?

epc2.
epc2 is offline Find More Posts by epc2
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:05 PM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2
Gary,

Do you know when these are going to be available?

epc2.

No idea. Last I heard, Charlie was expecting some test cells this month some time.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:19 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Minimole's Avatar
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum
I still have a Raptor 90 SE kit around here somewhere
Oh man, I cant wait till Im loaded enough to have a $870 odd kit just 'hangin about'...
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:55 PM
Custom User Title
mhale71's Avatar
Sydney/canberra, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,752 Posts
there are plenty of 90 size and larger e helis around, albig did a conversion of a hirobo evolution 90, miskimo did a fury, and then theres all the ions, jokers, and XeroG700s around, yes its expensive, but i can afford it, and im 16, and i pay for it myself so i dont know why no one else can.

--mike
mhale71 is offline Find More Posts by mhale71
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 06:08 PM
Its all fun
Tonystott's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhale71
there are plenty of 90 size and larger e helis around, albig did a conversion of a hirobo evolution 90, miskimo did a fury, and then theres all the ions, jokers, and XeroG700s around, yes its expensive, but i can afford it, and im 16, and i pay for it myself so i dont know why no one else can.

--mike
Mike,
I suspect that your world is somewhat sheltered then.. I do not believe that the average 16 year old has the financial clout to run a big heli, let alone multiple helis as you do. In addition, the majority of people might have responsibilities such as mortgage, school fees etc etc, so affordability cannot be assumed.

Sometimes it is not a bad idea to consider things from the perspective of others who are not in the same situation, because it can avoid appearing ignorant.
Tonystott is online now Find More Posts by Tonystott
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 06:14 PM
Custom User Title
mhale71's Avatar
Sydney/canberra, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,752 Posts
yer i did just think of that tony , thanks for correcting me, but i only have 1, or half a heli at the moment.

mike
mhale71 is offline Find More Posts by mhale71
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 08:23 PM
Registered User
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
992 Posts
Ah, just put it on the Credit Card and worry about it later!
FHHOBBIES is offline Find More Posts by FHHOBBIES
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:59 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2006
1 Posts
To convert or not to convert - that is the question....I would like to get a hold of an electric helicopter that can comfortably handle a 4-6 lbs. payload (AP setup - camera mount plus camera), on a regular basis, without taking a serious hit on manueverability. It would seem that a 60 or 90 size heli would be needed. With that said, would it be better to go with a helicopter that is electric out of the box (i.e. Mikado Logo 24...) or convert a 60/90 Raptor to electric? Are there any common problems that go along with an electric conversion (after the conversion is complete i.e. helicopter being more prone to malfunctions and such)?

Any comments/suggestions are gratefully welcome. Thanks!

Andrew
Hudsonator is offline Find More Posts by Hudsonator
Last edited by Hudsonator; Apr 25, 2006 at 12:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raptor 60 E Conversion MODMAXX4748 Electric Heli Talk 26 Oct 30, 2004 08:52 PM
Model Tech Excite 90 E conversion Wingbreaker 3D Flying 1 Oct 04, 2004 07:52 PM
Excite 90 E-conversion? Va Beach Flyer Sport Planes 9 Oct 15, 2003 09:23 AM
Raptor 30 E Conversion R Hudson Electric Heli Talk 21 Dec 13, 2002 06:59 PM
Choosing Raptor for E-Conversion - Help, Please! K.C. Electric Heli Talk 14 Oct 02, 2002 08:07 PM