HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:00 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,678 Posts
Discussion
Tri-Slope Six-Pack on May 20 and 21, 2006

The third Tri-Slope Six-Pack (3S6P) is only a month away. For those interested, there is detailed info here http://shredair.com/3s6p/2006/index.html but I also want to open a discussion thread here now, and maybe later we can have photos, etc, here also. If the moderators think this is worthy as a sticky, fine, otherwise I post once a week or so.

I assume everyone knows by now that the 3S6P is a SFFFoFW (slope fun fly free of foam wings) on the front side. This means, we will not see any EPP wings -- chevron or plank, powered or not -- at this event, except possibly for DS at Kiona.
Here is some more info:
*We will have a porta potty anchored down each at Eagle and Chandler in the infinite optimism that the wind will be blowing on both sites for both days.
*A small group and Marcela and I will be camping at Chandler, and Marcela will be running frequency control there; hopefully, she'll also get to slope her Twinstar-II. Camping also is possible at Kiona but not at Eagle. I'd appreciate it if anyone who wants to camp would contact me before the event.
*While I understand the lure of Eagle Butte's carefree LZ, I would like to encourage pilots of performance slopers and PSS planes to check out Chandler, particularly if we have a good gathering of scale flyers at Eagle. While the LZ at Chandler is smaller than at Eagle, it is ample and turbulence-free; only the approach becomes a little tricky in strong wind.
*During the event, I will record on my cell phone (541/954-6842) lift conditions at Chandler; also, I will make sure someone at Eagle knows what's going on at Chandler.
*Eagle Butte is private property, and certain rules must be strictly adhered to. While Chandler is public BLM land, the top is leased to a communications company from which we have permission to fly. Same rules as at Eagle apply here, and more on that under "Other Considerations" below.
*Social gatherings at local restaurants will be organized on the spot. I would like to make this dependent on lift conditions: If the lift is good, I see no reason to run into town just to have dinner; we can socialize and BS (ballistically slope-soar) plenty on the slope.
*Other considerations (as listed on the website):
--While aerotow would be possible off of Eagle Butte's large LZ, gas-powered planes (tugs) are not allowed there. Aerotow would be marginally safe at Kiona and unsafe at Chandler.
--Electric-powered gliders are allowed in questionable lift, but SFFFoFW is strictly applied here a also.
--There is no smoking anywhere because of fire danger; if you must smoke, do so only inside your vehicle.
--Pets must be leashed at all times. This is not only to prevent them from damaging planes, but also to protect wildlife at Chandler and Kiona in particular.
--If you think that the smoking and pet rules are unnecessarily restrictive, be aware that most likely we will be visited by sheriff and BLM personnel. Representatives of the communications company and the land owner at Eagle may also drop by at any time. We actually invite them to come to see for themselves what a desirable land use slope flying is.

Thanks for reading, see you there!

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2006, 01:16 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,653 Posts
We have been waiting for this.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:20 AM
Flags blow'n, I'm go'n
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
May the wind be with us! Just a note! Motel 6 is where a lot of the pilots are staying. You might want to book a room soon. The Tri-Cities is big on convention's so the rooms go fast.
http://www.motel6.com/reservations/m...&city=Richland
Get'r Done!
Todd
My Precioussss! is offline Find More Posts by My Precioussss!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:06 PM
Joined Mar 2001
4,678 Posts
I just learned that Marcela will not be the only Colombian attending the 6-Pack. We'll have a Colombian pilot flying a Colombian sloper developed from the Mach-1 I left there 15 months ago: basically a higher-lift airfoil and more span, all of which helps at the 8-10 thousand feet elevation slope sites there.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Old Apr 24, 2006, 03:25 PM
Joined Mar 2001
4,678 Posts
Looks like the 3S6P may not be completely devoid of flying wings: we may see the prototype of a high-performance, high-aspect-ratio non-EPP wing being dialed in at Chandler (preferably). And speaking of performance wings, I sure hope we'll see a Zipper or two also...

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Old Apr 24, 2006, 03:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
For the 'no foam' stuff, does that mean even epp PSS stuff like LEG warbirds?
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 24, 2006, 04:41 PM
Flags blow'n, I'm go'n
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
Off the ShredAir site.
"To acknowledge the advent of well-built and -flying EPP planes, we are allowing foamie PSS and conventional planes at Chandler."
Get your LEG's in the air!
Todd
My Precioussss! is offline Find More Posts by My Precioussss!
Old Apr 24, 2006, 04:54 PM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,470 Posts
We "bent" the foamie rules a little last year, and flew a few well built foam PSS planes and other high performance foam aircraft at the 6-pack. They were well received by the other pilots attending, and nobody objected to any of the flying foam.

This year it seems that such planes will be officialy welcomed.

Bear in mind that this is one of the best slope events held anywhere. The reason for the original no foam rule was to prevent the skies from becoming littered with slope trash during the event.

Please leave your foam combat wings and other foam "beaters" at home! I think this also goes for your glass and molded planes too. Bring your best. If the plane isn't something you would be proud to show off, both in the air and on the ground, save it for another day.
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Last edited by Brian Courtice; Apr 24, 2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 05:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Courtice
Bear in mind that this is one of the best slope events held anywhere. The reason for the original no foam rule was to prevent the skies from becoming littered with slope trash during the event.
Thanks for the reply.

Glad to see some of the original 'no foam' guys realizing the potential of some of the stuff out there (without having to invest a minor fortune).

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 24, 2006, 05:58 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,468 Posts
IMHO
It's not what your plane is made from, it's how you fly and interact with others on the hill that is so important.
Some foamy fliers seem to think EVERYBODY is a potential combat target, and close-in attempts at cool manuvers that result in trashy-crash-like behavior is what sours most folks on foam 'trash'.

I suppose you could fly a big scale crunchie in the same manner as a kid with a Zagi, and some folks might take you to task for flying like an You'd run out of crunchies pretty quick, too.

Folks with decent LEG warbirds, for example, fly them like valued airframes, and respect one another's airspace. I see little difference between one of those and a crunchie warbird. Performance is getting closer to crunchie level, as well.

It's not what you fly, it's how you fly.
I remember a flying buddy saying, "I HATE foam airplanes... unless I'm flying one!"

WinchDoc
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Apr 25, 2006, 06:55 PM
Joined Mar 2001
4,678 Posts
Thank you for making this thread a sticky; we’ll leave it "stuck" until May 22.
A few of observations at this time:
Interesting that every year someone complains about the "militant" foam restrictions. I don't see crunchie pilots whining in threads about combat/foam events. Could it be that resilience of a slope pilot's sense of humor is inversely proportional to that of his chosen craft?
Jay and I are organizing this event – once a year for one weekend -- and therefore we determine its format. Not good enough a reason? Organize your own and rule out the attendance of short-little-sh.. Germans and big-and-tall SledDrivers… : )
Because I doubt there is any slope pilot out there who only wants to fly combat, I will say that everyone is welcome at the Tri-Slope Six-Pack.
Here is what to bring:
--any scratch-built glider
--any built-up glider
--any sheeted glider
--any bagged glider
--any poplar glider
--any molded glider
--any Elapor glider
--any EPP PSS glider
--any EPP conventional glider
How "militant" and restrictive is that?
One more point in particular, please: if you have a glider you are a bit apprehensive about flying and would like some assistance getting dialed in and comfortable with, please do bring it along; we will find an experienced pilot to help. Likewise, if you have a glider which flies "funny," bring it and if it's airworthy, we'll get it to behave. Speaking for myself, I'll be on "Chandler duty" during most of the event, and I'll be happy to drop everything to help you get your plane dialed in.
As to rules, we only require AMA (or equivalent) insurance, Eagle Butte Access Permit (private land), and common sense, as outlined in post #1 above.
See y'all there.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Last edited by ShredAir; Apr 25, 2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:57 AM
sno
winds a blow'n Im a go'n!
The Sticks!! Central Oregon
Joined Mar 2005
994 Posts
I am assuming the access permit for eagle will be available on site???
sno is offline Find More Posts by sno
Old Apr 26, 2006, 08:13 AM
fun is the goal
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Dec 2003
1,556 Posts
I think the event is a good idea despite it being exclusive as first designed. Where else would you be able to see these types of planes from all over? It is the promise of a safer environment for the big, fast, heavy (and crunchy) planes that brings the flyers in. I don't see that as a bad thing, just different from a combat only event (example).

I am looking forward to the event and will be debuting a couple "Poplar winged" planes there.
AndreasMergner is offline Find More Posts by AndreasMergner
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:42 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
3,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sno
I am assuming the access permit for eagle will be available on site???
It was last year, however you can get it in advance by going to the MCS webpage and clicking on the link. I would actually recommend doing it this way rather then having to mess with all the paperwork once you get there....

http://mcs.rchomepage.com/
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:21 PM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,470 Posts
The access permits have always been available on site in past years.

You sign one form, flash your AMA card, hand the guy the fee, and he hands you your permit. (A wallet size card that you write your name on.) The wallet card actualy makes for a nice little souvenier of the event.
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice