http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:37 PM
China
Joined Aug 2005
169 Posts
Maybe it caused by your charger? what is your charger?
carfiel is offline Find More Posts by carfiel
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:47 PM
st joseph mo
Joined May 2004
2,086 Posts
Yeah, alot of fires to be sure, and alot of mistakes made. I guess my point is how much safer is it using this tiny system with this tiny airplane? Zero chance of a mishap? Or will time tell as with the other incidences. Please do not take any of this in the wrong way. I've yet to be reassured by anyone that it could never ( never happen? ) with this model. I know that many would say that ( including the sticky ) if you aren't willing to follow the safety measures don't fly lypos, but that's the basis of my question here because the instructions on the box and manual are very vague. Mostly use only the trans. charger, do not mix types of batteries, ect, ect. Do the vague warnings from the manufacturer mean that there is nothing to be concern with other than what is stated? Not my intention to bash lypos, only I'm willing to take a small plunge into this area of rc batteries. At this time I'm not willing to commit to what it takes to use anything larger than this for the improved performance lypos offer. But this small plane does interest me very much and I'd like to feel comfortable giving one as a gift. I'm sure many of you are convinced that I'm going over board here. Ok, could be. But would you give one as a gift?
rchawks is offline Find More Posts by rchawks
Last edited by rchawks; Apr 18, 2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:03 PM
Wind is the devil.
Joined Aug 2005
1,030 Posts
rchawks, the chances of over discharge, overcharge, or physical damage with the AA are extremely low...its a toy for small kids, they test for such failures...I bet there are 25,000+ laying in the floor of childrens rooms.

My AA sits on a bench in my garage, while my lipo stash is in a fireproof box. Not quite apples and oranges, but very different in risk and probability of failure.
Argyle is offline Find More Posts by Argyle
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:11 PM
st joseph mo
Joined May 2004
2,086 Posts
Thanks Argyle, Just what I needed to hear! Sort of like comparing the toy radio control cars radio shack sells to what is used for serious racing. I understand the differance. : By the way their ad says it's for big kids too!!
rchawks is offline Find More Posts by rchawks
Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:27 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
chuck edwards,

Can you think of anything unusual about the battery or its environs that might have contributed to its ignition?

It's important because, while we have to assume a slight risk attributable to LiPos in addition to that associated with other battery types, we would like to linit the risk as much as we can.

Thanks.

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old Apr 22, 2006, 09:46 PM
United States, OH, Mansfield
Joined Oct 2004
47 Posts
lipo fire reply

Thanks for all the good wishes!!! Pm me and I will give you my paypal addy!!! Just kidding.... I wish I had a good explination for what caused the pack to burst. All of the packs that I have are of good quality and have never been involved in a major crash. I use astro chargers to do all of my charging duties, and I never over disscharge the batteries.The reason that I know it was the packs is because of all the fire damage to the passenger seat where the packs were at. I do not think temperature had anything to do with it as the fire happened around 3:00 am. The packs were fully charged and ready for use when I was going to go to the field the next morning. None of the packs were being charged at the time of the accident. So your guess is as good as mine as to why this has happened.. I do not want to mention the name of the packs because I do not want to bring them any bad press, their customer support has been excellent to say the least in this unfortionate situation. As luck should have it, my home owners insurance is going to cover all of my equiptment loss. I had a 72" QQ yak54 that was Epowered, 6 5s2p packs that had heat damage, 2 astro chargers that got alittle HOT, a fliton rogue biplane, and some other misc. items. The total loss of equipment is about 4000.00!!!! So please take extra good care of your lipos for now on guy's!! This could have been much worse than it was..

And Alex, keep up the good work on the blade hope to see you guy's sunday. It all depends on how much work I get done on gutting the interior out of my pops suburban!!!!!!!

thanks,

chuck edwards
chuck4816s is offline Find More Posts by chuck4816s
Old May 12, 2006, 08:27 PM
Needs a vacation
In a house
Joined Nov 2005
2,246 Posts
man, chuck, what happened to ya? havent seen you at the airport in over a month! i miss seeing the crazy "flying" of yours.
hows the suburban coming?
see ya soon
alex
thermlin' is offline Find More Posts by thermlin'