HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2006, 05:53 PM
United States, OH, Mansfield
Joined Oct 2004
47 Posts
Discussion
lipo fire

I will post some pics of the damage tomorrow.. I just want to let my fellow modelers know about the accident that happened too me last night with a lipo pack. I had 3 lipo packs that were left in my car on the front seat last night when 1 of them decided to blow up for no apparent reason. I am not going to go into what brand they are, but I will say that they are brand name packs that are of good quality. I had no reason to think that the packs were bad. I never over charge or disscharge the packs beyond there limits. They are always charged with astro chargers. Bottom line is it can happen to the best of us no matter what or how we handle these batteries. I highly suggest that you keep these in fire proof boxs if you don't already!! All of the packs that I had there were brand new for all practical reasons. They had about 15-20 cycles thru a t-rex. I hope my loss can help guide all of you that think it only happens too people that are new with lipos, or misstreat them. I have lost my suburban, a QQ72" E-yak 54, 2 astro chargers, and what ever else got in the way.

Respect the lipos!!!

chuck edwards
chuck4816s is offline Find More Posts by chuck4816s
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:17 PM
Test Pilot
Birmingham, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
153 Posts
Sorry to hear Chuck. And your right, it can happen to anyone! I was at work the other day when I remembered I left a LiPoly on the kitchen counter. I promptly excused myself for "personal reasons" to run home. All was OK, but I would not have been able to function at work knowing it was there. I don't trust 'em as far as I can throw 'em.

Hope no one was hurt, and insurance covers.
unclemuck is offline Find More Posts by unclemuck
Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:34 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,838 Posts
Interesting..... are you in a geographical area where the temp is high?

Could they have gotten heated by the sun during the daylight hours?

Were they charged or discharged?

Not many unexplained ignitions have been reported.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:48 PM
rcrick
Prentiss, Ms.
Joined Dec 2000
216 Posts
Sorry about your loss Chuck. Were these batteries hooked to anything at the time or where they just sitting there?

Ricky
rcrick is offline Find More Posts by rcrick
Old Apr 16, 2006, 07:59 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Man, I am SO sorry to hear about that! I hope everyone around your house is okay!

Wow, that's pretty scary. I do have some li-pos in my room, but they are kept in a fire safe box. I second Hoppy's question, did the explosion occur during daylight hours when they could've been heated by the sun through the windshield of your suburban?

That's really too bad, I hope the insurance will cover your damages. I;m glad that it sounds like everyone in your area was safe during the fire.

-Matt
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Apr 16, 2006, 08:43 PM
phillyphly
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Sep 2005
1,223 Posts
What were the environmental conditions that the pack were in?

I'm sorry for your loss but maybe some more information would help diagnose the catalyst for the fire rather than just a "mysterious, spontaneous attack of bad luck"
e-guru is offline Find More Posts by e-guru
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:34 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Not many unexplained ignitions have been reported.
Hoppy brings up a good point. For those of us who've been following reported incidents of LiPo smoke and fire bombs since the first reported instance on this forum on Aug. 31, 2002 ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59306 ), we always look for the trigger. We've seen LiPos fail in vehicles while being charged, after suffering crash damage and out in the sun on 100-plus-degree days. We've seen LiPos fail after small children have fiddled with daddy's charger settings, after power failures reset chargers and even after being bitten by pet dogs and cats. But the number of catastrophic failures with no apparent cause is quite small, whether inside vehicles, in houses or outdoors. In the absence of more detailed data, it's not possible to make even an educated guess about this one.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:07 AM
Suspended Account
Country Rds.
Joined Sep 2003
1,827 Posts
Maybe a mouse looking for a snack?
Steve Guinn is offline Find More Posts by Steve Guinn
Old Apr 17, 2006, 02:05 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jun 2004
430 Posts
What connectors were you using?
Geoff Akerlund is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Akerlund
Old Apr 17, 2006, 09:16 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,756 Posts
Sorry for your loss Chuck. Keep us up to date on how this all pans out.

This tells me that I am too careless with my packs. I am VERY concerned going into the Arizona summer for the first time with LiPo's. We often see 115+ and inside of cars get 140+ (F). I don't think I will be bringing my batteries/planes to work for an early am fly at the park down the street like I used to.
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Apr 18, 2006, 07:37 AM
Joined Jan 2005
251 Posts
If the truck is a Loss how did you determine the Li-po's where at fault?

Mac
cmacclel is offline Find More Posts by cmacclel
Old Apr 18, 2006, 08:32 AM
Suspended Account
Country Rds.
Joined Sep 2003
1,827 Posts
Yeah... how did you? I hear those Suburbans spontaneously combust all the time.
Steve Guinn is offline Find More Posts by Steve Guinn
Old Apr 18, 2006, 08:46 AM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Guinn
Yeah... how did you? I hear those Suburbans spontaneously combust all the time.
Well if it was a Ford truck........

Brad
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 18, 2006, 08:35 PM
Needs a vacation
In a house
Joined Nov 2005
2,246 Posts
hey chuck!
this is alex, you probably remember me flying out at the airport with you on sundays; im the one with the blade CX. richard just told me your story earlier tonight at the airport when i came out for a little flying on the BCX. sorry about the loss man, i just cant believe a pack would just spontaneously catch fire; it sounds weird to me.
i really hope everyone and everything is ok.
hopefully see you at the airport sunday?

and everyone:
i personally know chuck, ive seen him fly (FABULOUS pilot by the way) and ive seen his battery care habits, like handling and charging, etc. and he takes some of the best care you could with a pack like storing in foam slots inside aluminum boxes. i wouldve never expected a lipo accident with chuck, except for the reason he has so many; which only goes on the lines of likeliness.

as for climate, we live in northern US, so its spring right now, and so far this year, temps have only gotten up to about 65-70 and definitly were lower all last and this week; about 40's-60's lately.
thermlin' is offline Find More Posts by thermlin'
Last edited by thermlin'; Apr 18, 2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 09:04 PM
st joseph mo
Joined May 2004
2,086 Posts
As with the other's chuck I'm sorry for your loss. I have a question about the lypo pack being supplied in the aeroace planes. I'm very nervous about using any lypo pack although it seems that the majority of the mishaps are charging setups and extreme crashes ect. The pack in the aa is small about 140 mah I think, and would seem to be fool proof. Which is important to me. It also seems to have all the protections such as a cut off circuit, it's own transmitter charger, and buried deep inside the fuse's foam. I've had one flight with it so far and with mods could be a real blast. My concern is that people are leaving inside the autos during the day for the spur of the moment flying and seeing as how it's only been on our market since about nov or dec of last yr hasn't been put to the summer heat in a car test. Could this have been overlooked by the beancounters who make this plane? Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the aa ( I've bought three already myself ) simply asking questions for which I have no solid answers. Is it 100 per. safe to use? Just in case something should go wrong, I did make a retrofit on a metal case to store it in. Granted I need to cut back on the amount of balsa inside, but it should act as a bunker I would hope. Can anyone give any feedback on this item?
rchawks is offline Find More Posts by rchawks
Last edited by rchawks; Apr 18, 2006 at 10:13 PM.