Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 05, 2006, 06:18 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
It looks like I will not be able to get my plane ready in time.

I was really busy at work all week and I've got family obligations tonight... so we will see if I feel up to an all-nighter. I haven't done one of those since I was an undergrad. Of course, when I did... I didn't have to fly the next day. Anyway, I will be there to help even if my Micro Stinger isn't ready.

-David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2006, 06:46 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,718 Posts
Good effort Dave.Totally understand. I pulled an all nighter to finish another micro stinger.It seems like the last 10% takes 90% of the build time....and then I drove 420 miles to San Diego.When one looks at these planes they look pretty simple,but they still require some effort.
Troy: Thanks for the info on the start,greatly appreciated.
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old May 08, 2006, 12:59 AM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,452 Posts
MWE was a blast this year!

Once again MWE was a well run event that attracted models of all types...even Micro Pylon racers! This fly-in is a notch above the rest when it comes to seeing high performance models. This year was no exception. Besides the Micro Racers, foamies were clocked around 170 mph, Troy's F5D was hauling butt, Steve Neu and his friend were fun flying their F5B's flat and level at full throttle around 200 mph, and last but not least was Mark F and his super fast F3D electric conversion. I enjoyed watching them all.

The first ever demo Micro Pylon race took place as expected. Because of time constraints, only 2 first round heats were flown without a final. In the end Steve Neu and David Rosenthal came out the winners. More than 4 entries would have been nice but there is always next year.

In the first heat David Rosenthal (shhhhh!) flew his KrisS design against David Gavin (Davexxxxx) and his modified Wattage Hawk with custom outrunner. Shhhhh! flew a conservatively wide course with his very fast ARC130 powered racer. Davexxxxx on the other hand flew a tight course with his slower powered wattage hawk. The hawk was actually alot faster than expected! Davexxxxx and his Hawk led the first part of the race but Shhhhh! and the KrisS racer were fast enough to win despite flying wide. Great job to both of you!

In the second heat Steve Neu and I went head to head. Steve was using his tried and true 27" Stinger with a newly installed Neu heli motor and a tanic 2s 780. I was flying a recently finished Micro Stinger using a Littlescreamer motor spinning a 4.75 5.5 apc prop. Steve flew a great course and his model was also faster. Thats a tough combination to beat. I don't know the exact flight speeds on the course but today we clock my race legal Micro Stinger at 119 mph while sport flying. Steve's model was obviously moving. Great job as expected Steve!

David Curtis was the fifth entry but he didn't race his original design. David's 21" Humbling Bee was succesfully test flown on saturday morning before the race. In the air the Humbling Bee was a tip stalling nightmare that landed safely after a couple minutes of fighting gravity. After that flight he respectfully declined to race around the pylons.

It was a great time and hopefully we can do it again next year with more entries. Thank you goes out Littlescreamers for making this an official noontime event.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Last edited by pdawg; May 08, 2006 at 01:39 AM.
Old May 08, 2006, 01:26 AM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,452 Posts
As a side note, Shhhhh! built an ultimate Micro Stinger to demo at MWE. It was powered by a 3s 1320 TP and a speed screamer motor. No space has gone to waste in this fuselage. Today the 24" racer on its 3rd flight went through the traps at 147 mph. Way to go Dave!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old May 08, 2006, 06:44 AM
UAS Test Pilot
Norway
Joined Jul 2003
1,125 Posts
Wow!

Way to go! Congrats everyone. To bad U.S is so far away, would have loved to be there.
SpeedMaster is offline Find More Posts by SpeedMaster
Old May 08, 2006, 11:43 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,718 Posts
It was a blast meeting everone.Many thanks to Rvincent and little screamers for sponsering the micro pylon race.DaveXXX raced with a home built CD rom motor and did a great job with his wattage hawk.Pdawg and Steve Neu were very fast.Steve clearly demonstrated why he is one of the top speed pilots in the world and also flys a very tight pylon course! I learned a lot! Next year I am sure we will have more pilots so every one else get with it and start building/practicing.
Also,many thanks to pdawg for organizing the micro pylon race.Without his effort and perseverance it would not have happened.Also thanks to KrisS and SpeedMaster for their pioneering efforts in micro racer design.
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Last edited by shhhhh!; May 08, 2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old May 08, 2006, 12:11 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,245 Posts
It was fun for sure
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old May 08, 2006, 01:18 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,004 Posts
I was really impressed with the speed of the micro racers. I got a chance to look over the Little Screamers out-runners and I am always shocked at how small the little outrunners are and how much power they put out.

You definitely need a good set of eyes to keep track and quick reflexes to keep up with these. Pdawg's racer was very well built and had a striking finish. 2 cells is plenty fast for this course but the 3-cell hot doggin' caught a lot of people by surprise.

You know I didn't even know that Davexxxxx had raced Q500 until after the race. I was thinking "man, this guy's a natural!"
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2006, 11:05 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,245 Posts
Dave will be a contender for sure in the future. Now that he is building a new racer of his own design this class seems to be gaining some momentum. I think the small size and CRAZY speeds we are getting out of these plane has some definite "Appeal"

If I fly next time and Troy, David Fee, and Red make it, we will have a full field!! Now that will be fun I know Dave Curtis will get his ready for next time too
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent