HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:48 PM
San Diego, CA USA
Joined Nov 2003
223 Posts
Discussion
Micro Pylon Races at MWE Spring Fling May6th

For those of you with calm nerves and fast reflexes, there will be two great contests you might want to participate in at MWE Spring Fling 2006 in San Diego on May 6th. MWE will actually run from May 5th - May 7th at the field of the Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego, right next to Sea World.

Micro Pylon Racing

The race legal airframes are limited to using a 2S Lipo battery pack that is 1000mah or less.
This rule is designed to restrict the top speed of these models.
There is no restriction on airframes, motors, or minimum weight.
This race will be flown on the standard speed 400 course.

House of Balsa T-6 pylon races:
See this threat

More information about MWE Spring Fling can be found at:
MWE Spring Fling

Pedro.
pbrantuas is offline Find More Posts by pbrantuas
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:44 AM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,457 Posts
Reserve your Frequency

Thanks to the collaborative efforts of many Rcgroups members from all over the world, an official Micro Pylon race is finally about to take place . We wish that many of you from outside California and the U.S.A would also participate. Special thanks goes out to the San Diego Electric Flyers and Littlescreamers.com for supporting this inaugural event. Hopefully this will be the first of many Micro Pylon Class races!

Since there is no cental committee, this thread can act as a place for news, updates, and results for
The 2006 MWE Micro Pylon race.

Currently we are trying to create a frequency list to prevent conflicts on race day. If you plan to participate, it would be helpful if you could post the channel you would like to use. Channels are reserved on a first come, first served basis. This list will be updated as posts are made. Everybody is welcomed to participate. Looking forward to seeing you there!

4/31 Update:
Due to the time constraints of this lunchtime demo (15-20 min), there will now be a
maximum number of 12 pilots allowed to participate. You can sign up by reserving your frequency on this thread. There are still 5 remaining spots available.

Registration & Frequency List

18 Steve Neu
19 David Fee
24 David Curtis
36 Dave Gavin
41 Red Jensen
44 Bret Becker
54 David Rosenthal
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Last edited by pdawg; May 03, 2006 at 04:37 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 08:52 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
David Fee 19
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Apr 18, 2006, 06:36 PM
Red
Santa Rosa, CA
Joined Apr 2002
896 Posts
Red Jensen 41
Red is offline Find More Posts by Red
Old Apr 18, 2006, 09:41 PM
Joined Apr 2004
5,457 Posts
Prizes will be awarded

Thanks to the generous support of Littlescreamers, prizes will now be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. Littlescreamers has donated several motors for the winners .

There is still enough time to get a competitive airframe going if you are now motivated to participate !

P.S. Just the name Red Jensen sounds fast Looking forward to finally meeting you and your Norcal friends Red!
Last edited by pdawg; Apr 19, 2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:58 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,248 Posts
I can't wait to watch this!! I know all you 007 types won't give anything up ,but how about pics of what your bringing to the event?
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:45 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,721 Posts
Here is my microracer:
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Apr 19, 2006, 01:08 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
I'll bet if folks knew how fast some of these setups fly with 2S they wouldn't
even bother to go to MWE this year.

Funny cause the 2S 1000mah rule was set to limit speed.

Oh well, have fun, fly fast and dont' crash.. oh yeah one more thing

TURN LEFT!!!!
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Apr 19, 2006, 02:49 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,248 Posts
shhhhh!,
Big prop and pitch there!

What's under that hood?! (as if he's really gonna tell! )
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:17 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Joined Jul 2004
5,721 Posts
Hi Bob,Since I have no chance of winning or placing...I am using a razor350,CC25,2s910,4.1x4.1 Apc prop,25mm aluminum bullet prop. My other set up is actually the same except the motor is an Arc80. The Arc 80 is easily obtainable from LightflightRC for under $30.00.The above setups work great and gives the average Joe a chance to build and fly a high performance model at a resonable price.A small plane going 70 mph should satisfy the adrenalin rush for most pilots.With hotter setups they have apparently been at up to 120mph!Your hummer at 147mph!
The purpose of the micro stinger and Kris -S threads was to prove that the micro stinger and Kris-S micro racers could be built by some one other then the designers and still fly.I seriously had my doubts,but was determined to give it my best efforts.In the process I learned a lot of building techniques and also about the 20mm motor class!I also learned how to fly small planes and the proper way to set them up for pylon flying!I enjoyed sharing my findings in the hopes others will try to build some micro racers as well!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:32 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,248 Posts
Why do you think you can't win? We have no real idea what to expect yet! The fastest plane might not turn well, or that pilot may not be able to get around the pylons without cuts? Plus there is always the attrition factor Carnage into the 2nd pylon at 70+ mph could worth the price of admission all by itself! Who knows, the slowest plane may be the only one left in a particular heat!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:43 PM
Joined Apr 2004
5,457 Posts
Shhhhh!,

Everything posted up till now on rcgroups seems to suggest that the best models will be in the 80 mph range. Racing is not all about top speed as suggested by Rvincent. If someone is actually going 40 mph faster than everybody else, then I must admit that that it will be hard to make up with pure flying skill .
I 'll believe 120mph on a 2s when I see it! Littlescreamer's 147mph video was not using a race legal battery...I think it was a 3s 1320.

Is your buddy Bill Wolfe building his own motors or something?
Last edited by pdawg; Apr 20, 2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:38 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,248 Posts
it was
Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:35 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Joined Jul 2004
5,721 Posts
Yes,those top speeds were achieved using 3s packs.Hopefully billwolfe will be building a micro racer soon.
rvincent: Excellent points,hey.. maybe even I have a chance!!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:13 PM
Red
Santa Rosa, CA
Joined Apr 2002
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg
I 'll believe 120mph on a 2s when I see it!

Red
Red is offline Find More Posts by Red